"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 07-02-2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Head Chef

ISO indoor grill advice

Does anyone know anything about indoor grills? I've been hearing about them lately. Any advise on which ones to buy and what to look for? Do they really cook like outside grills. Any information would be helpful. I have heard two people over the course of the last couple of months say something about wanting to buy one.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018
Does anyone know anything about indoor grills?
All I know for sure is my ventilation isn't good enough to handle it.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Legend...

Are you talking about the stove top smokers like the Cameron Stove Top models rather than an indoor grill?? Indoor grills can be had for a price, but in most "homeowner" applications the vent system required is what makes them impracticable. I think Miss Katie has a couple of the Cameron models, and she gives them great reviews! You may want to research those...

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
If you could give us some idea what type of grill you are speaking of, legend, it would make it easier to offer advice.

As Uncle Bob mentioned, do you mean stovetop smoker-types or the cast iron ones that straddle two burners, etc.? Then there are the electric versions, which is a whole other story.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Head Chef

I have an indoor grill that i LOVE - bought it on HSN. It might be made by Bravetti, if I can find the manual. It is a plug in, w a thermostat, glass (tempered?) lid and very large and round, about the size of a pizza. It came w a steamer ring, way back, to steam clams. I haven't used that feature yet. I grilled brats/peppers/hashbrowns, shrimp, dogs, burgers, reheated pizza. There are so many things you can make on it - & there's room to grill an entire meal, i.e. salmon and asparagus. You could do a search on hsn, but I've had it a few years now. It did come up on ebay, after I bought mine, for less $. As I recall, it was under $30. It also has grill grooves & a nonstick surface. The grilling part is removeable to wash. If you can find it, it's worth every penny.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
Head Chef

Not the smoker version, just a regular grill that would make the food taste "grilled" such as in a outdoor grill but indoors.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Are you looking for a George Forman type appliance or a metal grill with ridges that you put over a burner or two burners on the stove.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
Head Chef

Probably the metal ones. I don't really know too much about what I want. I have just heard people talk about indoor grills latey. Such as - I want one those indoor grills. Have you heard about the indoor grills people are using lately ect. I think I even saw signs for indoor grills in one of the isles when I was walking through walmart once.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

You can get a metal grill/griddle that will fit over two burners on your stove. They are usually reversable. A smooth side for pancakes, eggs, bacon, etc. and a ridged side for grilling meats and veggies.

You can get a cast iron one that needs seasoning the same as any other cast iron cookware. It will deliver very good performance. There are also cast aluminum ones with a non-stick coating.

You can also get a ridged grill pan. A frying pan with ridges in the bottom.

The key to these is that you have to properly regulate the burners to get the right amount of heat to the food.

The other alternative is an electric appliance with interchangeable plates (ridged and smooth) that can be set to the appropriate temperature and will regulate itself.

Cast Iron seems to be the metal of choice for the two burner type.

George Forman grills are the most popular of the electric type. I've had my eye on a Cuisinart with interchangeable plates.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
Executive Chef

regardless of the type of grill you choose, good ventilation is necessary or the smoke alarms will be going off.