"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 05-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
ISO tips for using gas grill

I am going away for the weekend at the end of May. The resort where we will be staying says we have a "barbecue" on the balcony, but I'm sure it's a gas grill.

I have grilled with charcoal, but I have never used a gas grill. I would like to make one grilled meal. Any tips (and I am not going to make beer can chicken)?

Old 05-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
Master Chef

You lucky girl, to have a charcoal grill at home TL !! Husbands gas grill came into the marriage and I hate it, even though it's convenient. Nothing special to know about a gas grill, just treat it like you would an upside down broiler because that's all it really is. Have fun on your weekend!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, they tend to flare up more, especially if they have build-up on the "flavor bars" (I think of them more as heat deflectors) or the floor, which could be likely. And depending on what you are cooking, some wood chips in a loose foil pouch with a couple slits poked in could be nice to throw directly on a burner to add a little smoke for flavor. Otherwise you are relying on the juice hitting the heat deflectors for smoke and flavor. Assuming it's not an ancient grill using lava rocks, lol.
On the plus side, they warm up quickly and you can cook a lot of varied foods, going from indirect heat to direct heat with the turn of a knob, so you can really load it up and if you don't like your heat, change it without fussing with charcoal. They also tend to have hot spots and cold spots. When you light it, try to see which side is hotter. Typically the side away from the gas inlet, or last burner in line, runs hotter. And that can work to your advantage, too.

That said, I grill almost exclusively on a gas grill and have no problem switching to charcoal a few times a year. That's why I just bought a little Weber. If you are fairly adept at grilling, it should be even easier going the other way.

And as an observation, although I have seen exceptions, yes, that was my disclaimer, people who cook on a gas grill tend to cook the whole dinner outside. People who use charcoal tend to cook the main course outside. Maybe those folks don't grill often enough though to know how to play with their heat source.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You lucky girl, to have a charcoal grill at home TL !! Husbands gas grill came into the marriage and I hate it, even though it's convenient. Nothing special to know about a gas grill, just treat it like you would an upside down broiler because that's all it really is. Have fun on your weekend!!
I insist on it. Right now I have a little hibachi with two grates. It cost me less than $20.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well, they tend to flare up more, especially if they have build-up on the "flavor bars" (I think of them more as heat deflectors) or the floor, which could be likely. And depending on what you are cooking, some wood chips in a loose foil pouch with a couple slits poked in could be nice to throw directly on a burner to add a little smoke for flavor. Otherwise you are relying on the juice hitting the heat deflectors for smoke and flavor. Assuming it's not an ancient grill using lava rocks, lol.
On the plus side, they warm up quickly and you can cook a lot of varied foods, going from indirect heat to direct heat with the turn of a knob, so you can really load it up and if you don't like your heat, change it without fussing with charcoal. They also tend to have hot spots and cold spots. When you light it, try to see which side is hotter. Typically the side away from the gas inlet, or last burner in line, runs hotter. And that can work to your advantage, too.

That said, I grill almost exclusively on a gas grill and have no problem switching to charcoal a few times a year. That's why I just bought a little Weber. If you are fairly adept at grilling, it should be even easier going the other way.

And as an observation, although I have seen exceptions, yes, that was my disclaimer, people who cook on a gas grill tend to cook the whole dinner outside. People who use charcoal tend to cook the main course outside. Maybe those folks don't grill often enough though to know how to play with their heat source.
Great info. I don't even know what the flavour bars do or what they look like.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I insist on it. Right now I have a little hibachi with two grates. It cost me less than $20.
Now why didn't I think of that TL!! I could use it on top of his silly fancy gas grill. On my way to Target tomorrow!! Thanks GF !!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Kayelle, I set my little Smoky Joe right inside my Ducane on the grate. Perfect height.

If it has flavor bars, Taxlady, they are what covers the burners. Different grills have different shapes, but they are basically slotted pieces of metal inbetween the grate and the burners.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
If it has flavor bars, Taxlady, they are what covers the burners. Different grills have different shapes, but they are basically slotted pieces of metal inbetween the grate and the burners.
Usually sloped they sit directly above gas burners to protect them. What ever juices and fats aren't incinerated and recycled back into the cooking air to add flavour, are directed down into a fat collector of some sort. They also act to spread heat rather than having several points of intense heat and are removable so easy to clean :)
Old 08-04-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

taxy, you'll need to find the hotter spots and the cooler spots on a gas grill. it's important because you want nice grill marks and charred edges from spending time over the hot spots, and thicker or bone in pieces of meat that need to cook longer can finish over the cooler spots without the outside burning to a crisp. i often start meats over hot, then finish over cool to be sure they're cooked through.

the cooler spots are also good for adding sugary sauces like bbq that would quickly burn over the hot spots.

generally, the area directly over a flame tamer is cooler than the open gaps between them. also, most gas grills are hotter in the back, cooler towards the front.

hth.
waiting for someone or something to show you the way.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #10
Master Chef

I wish I could help. But I only cook over charcoal. The times I've tried to cook over gas has ruined perfectly good food. I thought I'd been through U.S. Navy culinary School.

Good luck with your meals. I hope you have the knack for preparing great food on a gas grill.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grill, tips