"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 04-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Head Chef

Lodge CI grill on outdoor propane grill?

I bought a Lodge cast iron grill (ribbed on one side, smooth on the other) in a fit of buying frenzy and find that because it's so heavy I rarely use it. (Note to self: THINK!)

I was going to use it on my electric coil grill (and did a couple of times) where it worked fine for grilling sandwiches.

Now---- my question---- has anyone used a CI grill on their propane grill? I was thinking that I might get more use out of it there and I could just park it there.

I do know that it wouldn't give the same results as grilling/BBQing chicken or steak on it.

But could it still be used? Anyone done that? (I'm thinking that I could grill sandwiches on it and not mess up my stove top. Maybe?)

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
Head Chef

You can use it on any grill,elect,charcoal, gas or an open fire grill.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
You can use it on any grill,elect,charcoal, gas or an open fire grill.
Thanks S&P for your reply----- have you (or anyone else) actually used it on a propane outdoor grill? Any personal experiences with it?
Old 04-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Master Chef

Cave, I remember my grandfather using one just like yours on his propane camping stove to cook a full breakfast at our campsites. I inherited it but gave it to my now grown son, as it's just too heavy for me. He uses it a lot on his propane backyard barbeque.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
Master Chef

Cave, if your concern is about the griddle holding up, have no fear. Our daughter uses all kinds of Lodge items like dutch oven, frypans and the must-have pie iron when she and her SO go camping. They do their cooking over and in a wood fire.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
Master Chef

I wouldn't use it to make a steak. I want those fat drippings to go into the fire, to make the smoke that flavors the meat. However, I would use it for cooking bacon, hash browns, eggs, pancakes, French Toast, Toastng English Muffins, anywhere I would use a grill where the food needs something solid to sit on, you know, so the food doesn't fall through the grate. It will get hot enough to cook anything you want.

For instance, a great application would be to make carne asada. You could grill the steak over the gas, remove it to a cutting board, place the Lodge grill pan, flat side up, onto the gas grill to get it heated, and while it's heating, slice the meat, and the peppers and onions. Throw it all on the Lodge grill, with a little cilantro and lime juice, and you have a very tasty filling for tacos, burittoes, etc.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Head Chef

@CookingGoddess---- I wasn't worried about it holding up---- I know they're tough.

@Chief---- So it wouldn't be perfect for a steak---- I can understand. But I've (gasp) fried rib-eyes in a cast iron skillet in my kitchen and other than the mess on the stove (even with one of those spatter shields) it came out great. I don't know if the Lodge griddle would get as hot as my electric coil range in the kitchen. Maybe it depends on how long the griddle is heated. Plus, I don't have a very expensive propane BBQ so maybe that limits the heat.

BUT nothing beats a charcoal grilled steak, I know. I just can't have one here at this apartment.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
Head Chef

O.k.---- second thought. If my Lodge griddle is too heavy for me to be lifting around (much, if at all) maybe I can't use one on the BBQ---- because how would I clean it?

Would turning the heat up (after food is off) to scrape it clean like I do for the BBQ grill work? I can't see how.

Maybe I've 'thought' myself into one of my Rabbit Holes.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
...Would turning the heat up (after food is off) to scrape it clean like I do for the BBQ grill work? I can't see how.

Maybe I've 'thought' myself into one of my Rabbit Holes.

Turning the heat up may burn off the seasoning as well as the food residue.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Turning the heat up may burn off the seasoning as well as the food residue.
Good point! Why do I have such stupid ideas?

O.K., next stupid question---- any other way to clean off the griddle without turning the heat up? (See my sig. if you wonder why I ask so many questions!)

Tags
grill