"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 06-30-2009, 01:17 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Low and Slow or Hot and fast?

I like to grill my 1 1/2 inch beef tenderloin steak at 500F+ for the amount of time in needs to get to medium - rare (usually 4 or 5 min as side). But many folks (my father-in-law) likes to grill at 375Fish for a longer time.

Which way do you grill your steak and why?
Do certain steak cuts need different methods? Lets assume all cuts are the same size (1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches thick).

Also, what's you favorite cut ?

Old 06-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Hot and fast for tender, lean cuts. All premium steak cuts such as filet, NY strip (my favorite), ribeyes should be cooked hot and fast. They tend to dry out if cooked too long.

However, I have watched some steak grilling competitions on TV where they cook ribeyes that are an inch thick or less at a lower temperature for a longer time.

I tend to do filets indoors. I sear them in a very hot skillet to get a nice crust on them them pop them into the oven at 400F to finish cooking by more gentle means so the exterior doesn't get dried out by the time the center is rare to medium rare. That two temperature method works on the grill as well. Sear at a super high temp then move to a cooler part of the grill to finish cooking.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I tend to do filets indoors. I sear them in a very hot skillet to get a nice crust on them them pop them into the oven at 400F to finish cooking by more gentle means so the exterior doesn't get dried out by the time the center is rare to medium rare. That two temperature method works on the grill as well. Sear at a super high temp then move to a cooler part of the grill to finish cooking.
I agree with your skillet method for fillets. A wonderful crust and a juicy interior to me is a perfect steak. The skillet gives a crust that you can never get on a grill. The bonus is that you can use the brown bits to make a wonderful sauce. Peppercorn, cognac, butter and cream sauce is my favorite sauce.

I too think the strip is the best cut.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Head Chef

I also agree with andy. I've never been satisfied with my ability to cook a nice tenderloin on the grill. And you're dead on about the advantage of being able to make a nice sauce from the skillet. All other cuts however I cook on my grill, starting over the infrared burner to sear and then finishing over the regular burners. My favorite cut is a well marbled bone- in ribeye. I like to cut mine 1-1/2" to 2" thick.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:43 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I also agree with andy. I've never been satisfied with my ability to cook a nice tenderloin on the grill.
True ! A tenderloin on the grill never really comes out as good some other cuts. It must be the lack of fat in it or something.

On another note, I often see on tv, chefs cooking steaks in a pan but they are constantly pouring butter over the steak as it cooks.

Did anyone ever try that at home and get good results?
I'm worried the butter will burn, not sure how I'd do that without ruining the butter with all that heat.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

For the cuts between the Branding end, and the Roping end....Hot and Fast over a Lump Charcoal/Wood Coal fire to sear....Off to the side to finish.....

Favorite Cut?....Toss up between a Porter House, and a "Cowboy Cut" Rib-Eye

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
Head Chef

Definitely a HOT grill. You don't get that grill flavor with the skillet.. Now you can cook it rare on the grill, but have the skillet on there too getting hot. Get your grill flavor on the steak, then sear it fast on the skillet... best of both worlds.

Cuts I prefer.. Flat Iron, Rib Eye(thick), New York Strip (thick) and I love a good Sirloin...
Old 07-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
Cook

I have T-bones to grill for the 4th, but they are only about 1/2 - 3/4" thick. We like medium doneness. What do you suggest for length of time per side?
Old 07-03-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysmile View Post
I have T-bones to grill for the 4th, but they are only about 1/2 - 3/4" thick. We like medium doneness. What do you suggest for length of time per side?
Be careful my friend, at that thickness you'll be walking a thin line from medium to well done.

I suggest 3 1/2 minutes per side max on a hot grill with the lid down. Cook it medium rare so after it rests, it should be medium. I also suggest you do not cover with foil while letting it rest. You'll surely overcook it if you do that.

The safest way is to sacrifice one by cutting it open. Sometimes you have to take on for the guests.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to R Hill
2" thick Cowboy rib eyes are my Fav, I like to dry rub over night in the frig, Soaked chips in foil bags over the burners and lightly oil the rib eyes and then grill those bad boys at 3000 degs to MR