"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 05-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
And everything tastes better when you're camping.
And here are all those people griping about some bug in their Starbucks Frappuccinos.

Some of the best water I remember was from the Rio Grande in Bandolier. I made kind of tactical error up a canyon and had been without water for long enough that the yellow mud soup in the river was pretty great.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Wow! I've camped many times along the Colorado River and you certainly wouldn't want to drink that water! Of course most of us know 'colorado' is the Spanish word for 'red' and there's a good reason why they picked that name for the river! I always take a gallon of water per day per person when camping in dry areas or in areas without good water, and try to carry additional for washing. A quart per person works for half-day hikes.

I don't mind bugs too much unless they're the kind that eat you while you're eating dinner. Or I think it was hornets, were attracted to the smell of blood (my raw steak) in incredible numbers, I had to pack up and move because too many were interested in my food and I was afraid they mistake me for the meat.

The best water I've ever drank was in the back country of the High Sierras.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
Executive Chef

You can add my name to the list of Gringos and Tenderfoots!! We went hiking in the Colorado mountains one time, on a 3 or 5 mile hiking trail. Thought ththe distance would be about the same as a stroll around our lakes. Didn't bring any water or snacks, expecting to be back for lunch. Well, the terrain is different, and just because the path is marked, doesn't mean it's a smooth trail. And there is all that altitude!! And the day got hotter and hotter... AND then you have to walk back out the way you came in. Anyway, learned to go prepared. Also learned that summer not to camp "off -road" where there might and Indeed Are Bears.

Thanks for your thoughts about grilling up some biscuits. I was thinking yesterday while grilling up some chicken, that pretty soon it's going to be too hot indoors to be using the oven. I think I will try my hand at biscuits on the grill using a CI pan and and Grill-Bake. I think I will get a more even temp using the gas grill. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I should have thought of this earlier. There's many good ideas from Steven Raichlen popular PBS TV barbecue chef.

Google this and see if you don't get some fantastic ideas: Steven Raichlen barbecue bread recipes.

Barbecue UniversityŽ

Grilled Zahtar Bread with Tomatoes Recipe - Steven Raichlen | Food & Wine

and

His books have far more recipes but you have to be a fan to buy the books. Or check him out at your local public library. He's one of my favorite TV chefs.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #15
Executive Chef

TaxLady. I had to look up Bannocks. It's Scottish origin, and is related more closely to a scone than a biscuit. The two are pretty close, like cousins. Then the article I read says it's also related to North American Indian Fry bread. Even though it isn't necessarily fried like their culture makes it. However, the ingredients are pretty much the same.

Mmm I like scones and all the different things you can put in to them.

I think I will not get fancy and keep making biscuts.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Greg-- I looked at Steven Raichlen's website BBQU and I thought this used to be more extensive. Maybe some of his recipes are moved over to his new website that coincides with his current Tv program. I also thought there used to be a reader's forum, similar to DC. I didn't see that just now. BUT this does remind me to look at some other grilling/ bbq forums for ideas. Like should I use the same favorite buttermilk biscuit recipe I bake in the oven, or should I add more fat or liquid or whateveror tweak it for outdoor cooking.

I probably will indeed do this just for fun, and convenience, this summer. I also copied a Lavash recipe the other day. I've never made this, but it looks conducive to cooking directly on the grates. Anyway, thanks for the further ideas.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Greg-- I looked at Steven Raichlen's website BBQU and I thought this used to be more extensive. Maybe some of his recipes are moved over to his new website that coincides with his current Tv program. I also thought there used to be a reader's forum, similar to DC. I didn't see that just now. BUT this does remind me to look at some other grilling/ bbq forums for ideas. Like should I use the same favorite buttermilk biscuit recipe I bake in the oven, or should I add more fat or liquid or whateveror tweak it for outdoor cooking.

I probably will indeed do this just for fun, and convenience, this summer. I also copied a Lavash recipe the other day. I've never made this, but it looks conducive to cooking directly on the grates. Anyway, thanks for the further ideas.
It's quite possible that Raichlin has reorganized some of his Internet material (or even removed it). If he had a forum site perhaps it was too much drain on his personal time. Remember that we are enthusiasts while he is a professional (a very enthusiastic one from the looks of his recipes) and I'm sure he has to pay attention to getting the best income from his profession and from expenditure of his time.

Most of my familiarity from him is not the Internet. I've rarely looked at any of his Internet material and only when I'm sharing it with others like our present discussion. I've seen 3-4 of his seasons on PBS TV and he's really piqued my interest in barbecuing and smoking. I was interested enough to buy three of his books: Barbecue Bible, BBQ USA and Planet Barbecue! He has several others but the material in just these three books is more than enough to keep me occupied for years. (I whole heartedly recommend all three of these books. If I were to lose any of them I would without a doubt buy new copies. They are part of my permanent collection.)

As far as your buttermilk biscuits I think you might be better off cooking something more bread-like, or cooking them in a skillet while you're grilling something else, or you could even use just a sheet of aluminum foil to keep them from sticking to the grill or sagging. Spray the foil first with a vegetable oil spray but do it away from the barbecue because that spray is flammable.

I don't recall exactly which of Raichlen's bread recipes I cooked (a pita like bread) but it was easy and came out tasting really good. My books are in storage or I'd look it up. I think all three of the books I have include some bread recipes and other side dishes. In fact he makes the point often on his show that barbecuing is not just for meats.