New Faux grilling technique...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff G.

Head Chef
Warmer day today so I picked up a steak to grill. I fired up the grill, went in and got the rolls in the oven and potato in the microwave. I came back out and the grill had died, out of propane. GGRRRRR......

I tried something new. While a plain pan fry would have been fine, I wanted that smoky flavor. I use wood chips in the grill.

I took a tablespoon of bottled BBQ sauce as a carrier. I mixed in three or four drops liquid smoke. I brushed that on both sides of the steak VERY thinly.. I didn't want much flavor from the BBQ, just the smoke. I then seasoned normally and dropped it onto a hot skillet..

It tasted VERY close to grilled!!!! very cool new technique.

Shucks, I would have put some of those large potato nails in the bottom of the pan in an attempt to create grill marks on the meat. :LOL:

and that would be the point of liquid smoke. great in marinades for red meat, game, and some fish. You would be surprised at how many places that have items "smoked" are really just faux smoked.

A little goes a long way....for years I had no grill. My marinade for red meats was (loosely) Oil, worchestershire, red wine, garlic, ground/bruised fresh rosemary, a litttttle bit o' dijon, cracked black pepper, salt, and liquid smoke. Made for great in house flava!

and that would be the point of liquid smoke. great in marinades for red meat, game, and some fish. You would be surprised at how many places that have items "smoked" are really just faux smoked.

A little goes a long way....for years I had no grill. My marinade for red meats was (loosely) Oil, worchestershire, red wine, garlic, ground/bruised fresh rosemary, a litttttle bit o' dijon, cracked black pepper, salt, and liquid smoke. Made for great in house flava!
I actually read up on liquid smoke before buying any. It really is liquid smoke.
They burn wood, put a condensing hood over the smoke. The liquid they capture is the liquid smoke. Basically water with a heavy smoke flavor content. You are right a few drops is all you need and it's all natural! Just condensed smoke....

Water can also be used as a carrier for liquid smoke... or any liquid. I have used it with terriyaki on chicken, worchestershire sauce on burgers, orange juice on steak for fajitas... they call it liquid mike in my kitchen.... try it in corn water when boiling corn....

Back
Top Bottom