Not BBQ Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long would you think I'd need to smoke ribs to get decent flavor? I don't want to dry them out.

How long would you think I'd need to smoke ribs to get decent flavor? I don't want to dry them out.

I would say for around an hour. Really though anytime you can add some wood chips as described above is great. Just put them on while you have it on the grill.

Take care,

Brian

Like BBQ dude said, an hour should be good. What else you could do is put a large pan of cold water under the grates on your grill - that will help keep the temperature down for a while.

How long were the ribs on the grill for after the oven?

If you use a wood like mesquite, you could get away with 30 minutes.

Just remember to have the smoke started before the ribs go on. Running those temps, I would look into a box rather than foil in fear of the foil melting on a burner.

The grill I just bought has one of those smoker trays with it's own burner that works on the same principal. This will not smoke meat like a Chargriller, but adds wood flavor.

How long were the ribs on the grill for after the oven?

If you use a wood like mesquite, you could get away with 30 minutes.

Just remember to have the smoke started before the ribs go on. Running those temps, I would look into a box rather than foil in fear of the foil melting on a burner.

The grill I just bought has one of those smoker trays with it's own burner that works on the same principal. This will not smoke meat like a Chargriller, but adds wood flavor.

They were on the grill less than 30 min. I just put them on to crisp them up and cook on some BBQ sauce. That's why the photo shows them shiny, I had just brushed on some sauce.

Why not try indirect on your grill and add a large pot or pan of water. Put the ribs on one side with the burner turned off. On the other side, put the firebox with wood chips directly on the burner, then put the grate on, and then add a large pan of cold water; you can even put some ice in it. The water will be directly above your burner and will absorb most of the heat until it gets to the boiling point (212). With a large pan, and some ice, you should be able to smoke on your grill for 30 minutes to an hour (add some more ice if needed) without the temp getting too high. Then, simply transfer the ribs to the oven to finish cooking low and slow, and you can then finish on the grill to set your sauce and develop a crust.

Upright water smokers work on the same principle as this. In mine, I can start a raging hot fire and immediately throw the meat on with the vents full open, and the temp stays below 220 for a good 30 minutes before it starts climbing. That’s because the water bowl is between the meat and the fire, and that water is absorbing most of the energy as it goes from cold to boiling.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom