Perfect grilled pork chops.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
I posted this at tonight's dinner thread but thought I'd better put it here too, lest I get in trouble. ;)

I have a couple of beautiful big thick loin pork chops in brine and I'll be doing them outside on the hot grill as instructed by America's Test Kitchen. You mix together
1 1/2 tsp. honey
1 tsp. anchovy paste
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbs. oil
brush mixture on chops and grill with spectacular results. They always have beautiful grill marks without over cooking them. They should test with an instant read thermometer at 145 degrees, and rest covered for 5-10 minutes.

I bet boneless skinless chicken breasts (so hard to grill to perfection) would do equally well, although they should test at 165 degrees.

Last edited:
Behold Pac...they were perfect in every way, she said modestly. :yum:

img_1332735_0_e32934626b6c0f3dd3f2708a18fa5477.jpg

Thanks so much, Dawg and Jenny. Maybe they would do well on a stove top grill pan? I don't see why not.

For those less experienced cooks reading, it's important to use your instant read thermometer by inserting the probe in the side of the chop for an accurate read, and to snip the fat around the chop so that it stays flat on the grill before cooking.

Last edited:
I wish I could take the credit Andy, but AMT is so right on, in my opinion.

The honey helps with the browning, and the anchovy paste has the Umami quality with the pepper for the perfect combination, without ever being able to put your finger on that "something" perfect. Remarkable, no thanks to me really.

BTW, I follow the proportions of the recipe carefully, for two large chops.

Last edited:
Those look so very good! You did very well, Kayelle.

I must ask though, of the anchovy paste? I have never heard of this before and I can't imagine putting this on pork chops but this is a new thing of cooking? I hate anchovies. Is the anchovy flavor very strong or does it add a better taste to them?

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be critical, but when I just told Mamma, Carl and Laki of the anchovy paste, they were wondering too of this. We think this is interesting and we wonder how it works. We had just never associated anchovies with pork chops, is all.

With love,
~Cat

I understand very well Cat. It sounds very weird doesn't it? It sounds strange to me too, believe me! Because I trust America's Test Kitchen I actually bought a tube of Anchovy Paste for just this reason, although I know that Anchovy Paste is often used and revered in Italian cooking, I've never used it. The taste of anchovies is very subtle, and hardly noticeable with this dish, but I'd imagine it's very necessary for the "Umami quality".

This is very interesting Give Anchovies Another Chance : NPR

and this... http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15819485

Last edited:
Cat, you probably know that traditionally people have thought of food in terms of four flavors: sweet, sour, salty and bitter. In the early 1900s, a Japanese scientist identified a fifth flavor: umami. It means savory and makes your mouth water :yum: Think about the flavor in a long-cooked beef stew or a crispy piece of roasted chicken skin.

Umami flavor can be heightened by using certain ingredients that contain a large amount of the chemicals that give foods this savory flavor. These ingredients include Parmesan cheese, mushrooms, red wine and anchovies, among others.

So a small amount of anchovy paste spread on pork chops that will then be grilled will increase the savory, umami flavor but you won't taste the anchovy itself.

This is a pretty new idea in cooking. I've been reading "Cooks Illustrated," a magazine written by the staff of America's Test Kitchen, for over a decade and for the past couple of years, many of their recipes have included techniques like this to enhance flavor.

Last edited:
We do pork chops once a week. Hard to grill in this weather though, so I have started to broil mine. I sometimes fry them.

I cut into the fat around the perimeter so they stay flat. I poke them with the tip of my knife and squeeze lime juice on them.
I salt, pepper, garlic powder and my creole season mix and let sit for 30 minutes or so.

Before putting under the broiler I spread some butter on each one. I cook until nice and brown on both sides. Maybe 15 minutes tops.
They come out mouth watering tender.
I have never used a probe on a pork chop or steak in my life.

Something about Costco pork chops (all their meats). Very, very tender and consistent unlike the grocer.

Pork Chop tip: Buy rib chops so you can get three in the same pan if you are going to fry them.

Last edited:
We do pork chops once a week. Hard to grill in this weather though, so I have started to broil mine. I sometimes fry them.

I cut into the fat around the perimeter so they stay flat. I poke them with the tip of my knife and squeeze lime juice on them.
I salt, pepper, garlic powder and my creole season mix and let sit for 30 minutes or so.

Before putting under the broiler I spread some butter on each one. I cook until nice and brown on both sides. Maybe 15 minutes tops.
They come out mouth watering tender.
I have never used a probe on a pork chop or steak in my life.

Something about Costco pork chops (all their meats). Very, very tender and consistent unlike the grocer.

Pork Chop tip: Buy rib chops so you can get three in the same pan if you are going to fry them.

They sound mouth watering delicious RB. I especially like of the idea of butter as pigs are so skinny now days and over cooking them is a disaster.:pig:

After many years of cooking, I use the touch method to know when a steak or chop is done to my liking, but many people need help with a thermometer.

I so agree about Costco meats. Have you tried their loin lamb chops? Spectacular!

Gorgeous looking pork chops, Kay!
I've going to give this recipe a try.

I Cut up 1 1/2 Pork loin roasts (boneless) into chops recent. They are about gone. None grilled so far. Too cold. I pulled the Weber charcoaler up alongside the house by the back door to roll out along the side walk on "Balmy days" > haven't met them yet. I may need to get some more chops or another roast, which was less expensive, next time they are on sale.

I wonder if it was that little bit of honey you used that helped create the grill marks as well as make them turn out so good. Honey has a low melting/ low threshold caramelizing point. I usually avoid honey when called for in a recipe, such as BBQ sauces, and substitute raw sugar crystals. Maybe I 've been mis-calculating my strategy.

And yes. anchovies can and do provide that hidden flavor one can not quite identify yet is savory to taste. The "fish" taste cooks off surprisingly quite rapidly.

They sound mouth watering delicious RB. I especially like of the idea of butter as pigs are so skinny now days and over cooking them is a disaster.:pig:

After many years of cooking, I use the touch method to know when a steak or chop is done to my liking, but many people need help with a thermometer.

I so agree about Costco meats. Have you tried their loin lamb chops? Spectacular!

Thanks Kayelle.
I have not eaten lamb in 10 years. Had a very bad experience and have not been able to eat it since. But I think I might be good to go now. A few drinks first might just be what I need.

Costco lamb chops are beautiful though. And their fancy petite lamb chop roast is very pretty. I also see they sell boneless leg of lamb too.

RB, the Costco lamb is so mild I bet you'd like it. Here's a recent picture of my pan fried lamb chops. I'd rather have these than Filet Mignon, and they're around the same price.
img_1333615_0_70d8d7bb7dfe05af13dfa81caa37974d.jpg

Their boneless leg of lamb is also spectacular. I remove it from the elastic netting, lay it out and sprinkle with garlic slivers, a little rosemary, S&P. Roll it back up and return it to the elastic netting, seasoning the outside and roast to med. rare. :yum:

Last edited:
Those chops look great! I would dig into that plate.
I will buy some next time I am in the store and try them out. How are you cooking them. Rare or medium rare?

Pretty plate there! I also adore asparagus!

Thanks for the nice words RB. I season the lamb chops with Herbs de Provence, garlic powder and S&P. I use a screaming hot CI skillet and since the chops are 2" thick, I cook them on the five sides (bone, both sides, top and bottom) to rare/med rare.

Back
Top Bottom