"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 05-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Reverse Sear Rib-Eye on the BGE

I know this is on yesterdays dinner thread but it also was done on the grill.

While the meat was coming to room temp, I fired up the Egg for indirect grilling. I filled the fuel chamber about 1/2 full with unlit briquets (Kingsford) and started a full chimney. Once the the coals in the chimney were ready, I dumped them on top of the unlit coals and spread them evenly. Then the plate setter (diffuser) went over the coals and the grate on top of that. Closed the lid and set it for 250F by adjusting the vent and daisy wheel

Once it was coasting at 250F, I turned my attention to the rib-eye. I had the butcher cut a 3" thick piece which weighed 2# when trimmed.

I coated both sides with vege oil and generously seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Then took it to the grill. I grilled it without turning or flipping until the internal temp was 120F, which took about 1 hour and 10 minutes. I pulled it, covered it in foil and let it sit while I set the Egg up for direct grilling by removing the grate and plate setter. I put the grate back, opened the vent and daisy wheel, then adjusted the temp to 650F. The steak went back on for 30 seconds with the lid closed, then it was rotated for another 30 seconds, flipped for another 30 seconds and rotated for 30 seconds more. At 650F it only needed that 2 minutes to sear perfectly! Pulled it, wrapped it in foil and let it rest for 10 minutes.

What a pretty piece of perfectly cooked beef, even if I do say so myself!

Time for the slicing!

Old 05-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
Executive Chef

I think a steak this thick would probably, and did, take well to reverse sear method.

I've read "how to's" previous, I appreciate your concise directions.

I've thought about grilling a roast, and a reverse sear could be a good method to do so.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
Head Chef

I told Craig no more thin steaks. I'd rather have 1 thick one cooked like that and sliced/shared than have my very own thinner steak from now on. I did though tell him I'd appreciate a little less than 120 next time for the slow cook time, maybe 110-115ish. It tasted like a steak you get in a high-end steakhouse, tender and juicy on the inside and that nice char on the outside. The whole meal with the 2 sides cost less than $30 total, can't beat that for a steak dinner for 2. Rib eye was on sale at Penn Dutch for $9.99 a pound.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I know this is on yesterdays dinner thread but it also was done on the grill.

While the meat was coming to room temp, I fired up the Egg for indirect grilling. I filled the fuel chamber about 1/2 full with unlit briquets (Kingsford) and started a full chimney. Once the the coals in the chimney were ready, I dumped them on top of the unlit coals and spread them evenly. Then the plate setter (diffuser) went over the coals and the grate on top of that. Closed the lid and set it for 250F by adjusting the vent and daisy wheel

Once it was coasting at 250F, I turned my attention to the rib-eye. I had the butcher cut a 3" thick piece which weighed 2# when trimmed.

I coated both sides with vege oil and generously seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Then took it to the grill. I grilled it without turning or flipping until the internal temp was 120F, which took about 1 hour and 10 minutes. I pulled it, covered it in foil and let it sit while I set the Egg up for direct grilling by removing the grate and plate setter. I put the grate back, opened the vent and daisy wheel, then adjusted the temp to 650F. The steak went back on for 30 seconds with the lid closed, then it was rotated for another 30 seconds, flipped for another 30 seconds and rotated for 30 seconds more. At 650F it only needed that 2 minutes to sear perfectly! Pulled it, wrapped it in foil and let it rest for 10 minutes.

What a pretty piece of perfectly cooked beef, even if I do say so myself!

Time for the slicing!

Looks great, that's the only way to get a good steak!
Old 05-23-2016, 04:24 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What a lovely steak, Craig!
Old 05-23-2016, 04:26 PM   #6
Master Chef

Wow, that is one thick, beautiful rib eye! Looks great, Craig.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:52 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Oh Yeah!!!!!! That is a thing of beauty!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

How convenient... i have a Rib eye in my fridge waiting to be eaten,lol! I do mine on cast iron
Old 05-31-2016, 11:07 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thank you!!! Great instructions and pictures, and the steak looks just perfect. Inspires me to try this method. Thanks again.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:39 AM   #10
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
I told Craig no more thin steaks. I'd rather have 1 thick one cooked like that and sliced/shared than have my very own thinner steak from now on.
I agree. I've recently gotten more into buying whole ribeye and NY strip, so I can cut them into 2-inch steaks. Having the thicker size makes it much easier to control the internal temp, plus have you ever tried getting a thermometer to sit nicely in a wimpy little 3/4" cut? Each steak is 2-3 servings (for me anyway).