Roasting Hatch Chilis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
The hot ones have arrived and the rest should be here today. Once I start the roasting process, there will be more pics.

36788-albums1032-picture7141.jpg

The hot ones have arrived and the rest should be here today. Once I start the roasting process, there will be more pics.

36788-albums1032-picture7141.jpg

MMM!

Did someone mail those to you through USPS Craig? They look beautiful.

One season I bought the medium Hatch Chiles, didn't roast 'em; made Rellenos with them, the best!!
Since moving to the SouthWest USA, Hatch Chiles are the only chiles that I use, love `em!
I haven't been to the green grocer in a few weeks, but I am going today; I think I will see if we have any :yum: ... change in dinner plans! :LOL:

MMM!

Did someone mail those to you through USPS Craig? They look beautiful.

One season I bought the medium Hatch Chiles, didn't roast 'em; made Rellenos with them, the best!!
Since moving to the SouthWest USA, Hatch Chiles are the only chiles that I use, love `em!
I haven't been to the green grocer in a few weeks, but I am going today; I think I will see if we have any :yum: ... change in dinner plans! :LOL:

Yes they shipped via priority mail. I just received the mediums about 20 minutes ago.

36788-albums1032-picture7142.jpg

YUM!

Hatch New Mexico :: Chile Capital of the World! ::

DH and I took one our first road trips through Hatch, NM and stopped for a spell, very eclectic. That was some trip! Experienced our first dust storm too, the entire car was FULL of grit, dirt and dust :blink: we HAD to find a full service car wash!
But its such a beautiful valley in the middle of really no where and all of their produce is wonderful!

This was my first experience using the rotisserie basket and roasting chilis in it. There was a learning curve as with most new equipment. I started out with a 2 zone fire, using charcoal baskets on each side of the rotisserie. I fired one chimney of charcoal and divided it between the 2 baskets. Dropped a couple of pecan 1/2 splits in each basket.

36788-albums1032-picture7146.jpg

I found that although it worked, it was taking 25 to 30 minutes for roasting with very little charring. Plus I had 25# of chilis to roast. I put a third charcoal basket directly beneath the rotisserie basket, creating a third zone. This cut the time down to 10 minutes or so with a good amount of charring.

36788-albums1032-picture7145.jpg

The other important step is to cut the dang stems off the chilis down to nubs! Otherwise they get caught in the rotisserie basket grates and won't allow the chilis to tumble correctly.:ohmy:

Next is a trip to the Bodega market for some red Japs!

Last edited:
This was last year doing a crate of Hatch chiles. No Egg, no charcoal. I halved and seeded them first. Worked quite well. Went from grill to Ziplock bags, then an easy peel and into the freezer until needed. Didn't get any this year.

i-kbSmfkp-M.jpg

This was last year doing a crate of Hatch chiles. No Egg, no charcoal. I halved and seeded them first. Worked quite well. Went from grill to Ziplock bags, then an easy peel and into the freezer until needed. Didn't get any this year.

i-kbSmfkp-M.jpg

Didn't use the Egg and the charcoal was used to get the pecan 1/2 splits burning. Not only were the chilis kissed with flame, they also got some smoke from the pecan. Plus, I got all that liquor from the chilis.:yum: Nice attempt with the dig, but it was a no go.!:ROFLMAO:

Didn't use the Egg and the charcoal was used to get the pecan 1/2 splits burning. Not only were the chilis kissed with flame, they also got some smoke from the pecan. Plus, I got all that liquor from the chilis.:yum: Nice attempt with the dig, but it was a no go.!:ROFLMAO:

Sorry - wan't intended to be a dig at all. Just showing another way to go about it. :chef:

This was my first experience using the rotisserie basket and roasting chilis in it. There was a learning curve as with most new equipment. I started out with a 2 zone fire, using charcoal baskets on each side of the rotisserie. I fired one chimney of charcoal and divided it between the 2 baskets. Dropped a couple of pecan 1/2 splits in each basket.

36788-albums1032-picture7146.jpg

I found that although it worked, it was taking 25 to 30 minutes for roasting with very little charring. Plus I had 25# of chilis to roast. I put a third charcoal basket directly beneath the rotisserie basket, creating a third zone. This cut the time down to 10 minutes or so with a good amount of charring.

36788-albums1032-picture7145.jpg

The other important step is to cut the dang stems off the chilis down to nubs! Otherwise they get caught in the rotisserie basket grates and won't allow the chilis to tumble correctly.:ohmy:

Next is a trip to the Bodega market for some red Japs!

WOW! 25 pounds of Hatch Chiles?
I can just smell that through the screen Craig! I bet that the Pecan smoke adds a real nice flavor too. I'll give that a go next time roast my own :cool:thanks!
Question: What are guys going to do with your bounty of chiles btw?
I did see those stuffed beauties on the whats'd for dinner thread, looked outrageous!

WOW! 25 pounds of Hatch Chiles?
I can just smell that through the screen Craig! I bet that the Pecan smoke adds a real nice flavor too. I'll give that a go next time roast my own :cool:thanks!
Question: What are guys going to do with your bounty of chiles btw?
I did see those stuffed beauties on the whats'd for dinner thread, looked outrageous!

Vacu-bagged and frozen for the time being. They'll get used up, already have several recipes picked out.

Back
Top Bottom