"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-14-2017, 10:54 AM   #1
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,559
Roasting Hatch Chilis

The hot ones have arrived and the rest should be here today. Once I start the roasting process, there will be more pics.


__________________

__________________
If you're gonna make a Key Lime pie, you have to use real Key Limes!
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 2,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
The hot ones have arrived and the rest should be here today. Once I start the roasting process, there will be more pics.



MMM!


Did someone mail those to you through USPS Craig? They look beautiful.

One season I bought the medium Hatch Chiles, didn't roast 'em; made Rellenos with them, the best!!
Since moving to the SouthWest USA, Hatch Chiles are the only chiles that I use, love `em!
I haven't been to the green grocer in a few weeks, but I am going today; I think I will see if we have any ... change in dinner plans!
__________________

__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
MMM!


Did someone mail those to you through USPS Craig? They look beautiful.

One season I bought the medium Hatch Chiles, didn't roast 'em; made Rellenos with them, the best!!
Since moving to the SouthWest USA, Hatch Chiles are the only chiles that I use, love `em!
I haven't been to the green grocer in a few weeks, but I am going today; I think I will see if we have any ... change in dinner plans!
Yes they shipped via priority mail. I just received the mediums about 20 minutes ago.

__________________
If you're gonna make a Key Lime pie, you have to use real Key Limes!
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 2,846
YUM!

Hatch New Mexico :: Chile Capital of the World! ::

DH and I took one our first road trips through Hatch, NM and stopped for a spell, very eclectic. That was some trip! Experienced our first dust storm too, the entire car was FULL of grit, dirt and dust we HAD to find a full service car wash!
But its such a beautiful valley in the middle of really no where and all of their produce is wonderful!
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:12 AM   #5
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,559
This was my first experience using the rotisserie basket and roasting chilis in it. There was a learning curve as with most new equipment. I started out with a 2 zone fire, using charcoal baskets on each side of the rotisserie. I fired one chimney of charcoal and divided it between the 2 baskets. Dropped a couple of pecan 1/2 splits in each basket.



I found that although it worked, it was taking 25 to 30 minutes for roasting with very little charring. Plus I had 25# of chilis to roast. I put a third charcoal basket directly beneath the rotisserie basket, creating a third zone. This cut the time down to 10 minutes or so with a good amount of charring.



The other important step is to cut the dang stems off the chilis down to nubs! Otherwise they get caught in the rotisserie basket grates and won't allow the chilis to tumble correctly.

Next is a trip to the Bodega market for some red Japs!
__________________
If you're gonna make a Key Lime pie, you have to use real Key Limes!
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,719
Very cool pictures! yummmmmm
__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:42 AM   #7
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,388
This was last year doing a crate of Hatch chiles. No Egg, no charcoal. I halved and seeded them first. Worked quite well. Went from grill to Ziplock bags, then an easy peel and into the freezer until needed. Didn't get any this year.

__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #8
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
This was last year doing a crate of Hatch chiles. No Egg, no charcoal. I halved and seeded them first. Worked quite well. Went from grill to Ziplock bags, then an easy peel and into the freezer until needed. Didn't get any this year.

Didn't use the Egg and the charcoal was used to get the pecan 1/2 splits burning. Not only were the chilis kissed with flame, they also got some smoke from the pecan. Plus, I got all that liquor from the chilis. Nice attempt with the dig, but it was a no go.!
__________________
If you're gonna make a Key Lime pie, you have to use real Key Limes!
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:46 PM   #9
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Didn't use the Egg and the charcoal was used to get the pecan 1/2 splits burning. Not only were the chilis kissed with flame, they also got some smoke from the pecan. Plus, I got all that liquor from the chilis. Nice attempt with the dig, but it was a no go.!
Sorry - wan't intended to be a dig at all. Just showing another way to go about it.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 11:45 PM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 2,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
This was my first experience using the rotisserie basket and roasting chilis in it. There was a learning curve as with most new equipment. I started out with a 2 zone fire, using charcoal baskets on each side of the rotisserie. I fired one chimney of charcoal and divided it between the 2 baskets. Dropped a couple of pecan 1/2 splits in each basket.



I found that although it worked, it was taking 25 to 30 minutes for roasting with very little charring. Plus I had 25# of chilis to roast. I put a third charcoal basket directly beneath the rotisserie basket, creating a third zone. This cut the time down to 10 minutes or so with a good amount of charring.



The other important step is to cut the dang stems off the chilis down to nubs! Otherwise they get caught in the rotisserie basket grates and won't allow the chilis to tumble correctly.

Next is a trip to the Bodega market for some red Japs!

WOW! 25 pounds of Hatch Chiles?
I can just smell that through the screen Craig! I bet that the Pecan smoke adds a real nice flavor too. I'll give that a go next time roast my own thanks!
Question: What are guys going to do with your bounty of chiles btw?
I did see those stuffed beauties on the whats'd for dinner thread, looked outrageous!
__________________

__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chili, roast

« Shawarma | - »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.