"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 02-11-2008, 07:13 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Short ribs--First time

Here's my spin on Ask a Butcher's short ribs. This is the first time I have ever cooked short ribs.

The short ribs. After giving them a short soak in some Pacanis sauce, I decided on a mild version of Fred's Rub for the seasoning. Then onto the grill they went. Indirect at about 240F for 2-1/2 hours.
I also put some mesquite chips in a pouch above one of the burners, but while I did taste something that might have been considered "smoke".... I think the foil pouch was more for ornamentation.

After 2-1/2 hours

I pulled them off and got a foil pouch ready for them. No apple juice on hand, so in went some Dr Pepper pop (or "soda" for you folks by Pittsburgh). Then they got wrapped up and placed back on the grill for another 2-1/2 hours. Still indirect at 240F.
Here they are waiting to be placed in their Dr Pepper moisture bath. I had a hard time not grabbing one between these steps.

After 5 hours. waiting in their Dr Pepper bath for the next phase. You can see the little guy decided he didn't need his bone anymore.
I had a hard time not grabbing one here, too.....

Finally, the last cooking phase! Onto the grill again and brushed with some mild Pacanis Barbeque Sauce. I also chunked up some potatoes, seasoned them well, added some EVOO and placed them in a foil packet above one of the burners. These are not "Herb's" roasted potatoes. They are Fred's roasted potatoes

Finally..... dinner time!
Along with some cooked carrots and homemade bread toasted with some EVOO and rubbed with fresh garlic.

A big thanks to Ask a Butcher for giving me the time frames of the different phases and cooking ideas. I just need to work on that smoking thing

Old 02-11-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Short Ribs look fine..."Fred" roasted Potatoes looks delicious with all of the Herbs!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you, sir!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
No apple juice on hand, so in went some Dr Pepper pop (or "soda" for you folks by Pittsburgh).
Short ribs look great! Very trendy dish these days.

FYI in the Burgh we say "pop." As a matter of fact, I would have guessed that you said "Soda" up there. After working in a hotel bar for 7 years, though, I got used to saying "soda" after getting a lot of puzzled looks! Now I switch it up depending on my audience.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

The only person up here I heard call it soda was a guy I know from Pgh
Who can keep track with everybody relocating these days

Thanks for the comp. I didn't know they were considered trendy, but I do know that next time I get some beef I'm going to ask the butcher for all the short ribs he can cut out of it.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Growing up in Vt we used to call soda "soda"

Short Ribs look great

Remember, most of the time, unless stated, the cooking times are just a guideline....sometimes longer, sometimes shorter.

"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon."
Mary Pettibone Poole
Ask-A-Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask-A-Butcher View Post
Remember, most of the time, unless stated, the cooking times are just a guideline....sometimes longer, sometimes shorter.
Like I said, I had a real hard time not knocking about 3 hours off of that cooking time
Old 02-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
I didn't know they were considered trendy, but I do know that next time I get some beef I'm going to ask the butcher for all the short ribs he can cut out of it.
Well, this most recent article on the Short-Rib craze at top restaurants is all the way from early 2007. I once heard someone say, "If the world ever ends, I want to be in Pittsburgh. They'll be the last to find out!" So, maybe the short-rib fad is passing, but I would say for our region, we're WAY ahead of everyone else! You trend-setter, you.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

LOL.... If Pgh is the last to find out, I guess that means Erie goes on its merry way never having known in the first place!
Old 02-11-2008, 01:21 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Looking good Pacanis.

The problem I have is, my supermarket carries short ribs but not the whole rack. AND, they cut beef ribs right down the middle so one half is bone and the other is meat. Like there's a ton of meat on a rib that you need to cut it in half.