Sliders, What's Your Pleasure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
I've often taken some different style meatballs and turned them into grilled sliders. I serve them with condiments that fit the original theme. Like Italian "meatball" sliders or "Bahn Mi" style pork sliders.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favourite way to make my sliders is with good ground beef, simply spiced. Topped with a dash of homemade relish, crispy bacon and a poached quails egg.

I still laugh when I hear the word "slider". I lived in Chicago back in the early 80's and, to me, a slider was what you ordered at White Castle at 3:00 am after a night of heavy imbibing (not that I ever did anything like that :innocent:).

The phrase back then had a negative connotation, and described the cheap, greasy meat that WC used. As we used to say, "slides right down, slides right out."

But the burgers were $0.25 each and about the only thing we could afford on a musician's pay.

I've been tossing around the idea of making some fresh Mexican chorizo and using it to make sliders. A smear of refried beans on the bun bottom, sliced red onion, guacamole and this chipotle sour cream sauce I make. Maybe some oaxaca cheese.

"As we used to say, "slides right down, slides right out."" :LOL:

Sliders to me means small burgers that go down easy and are cheap. They are tasty and fill the need for chow without breaking the bank.

Never thought about and don't wanna know about the sliding out part. ;)

I've never had a White Castle slider, would love to try them! Apparently the frozen ones are pretty good, but haven't been able to find them 'round these parts.

the reason people think that frozen white castle burgers are pretty good is because of how the fresh ones aren't much better. it's a perspective thing.

i could go for a quadruple b burger. bacon, blue cheese, and blackening seasoning on a bison burger.

Too much bread for me. I'd rather have a sandwich. Back to the topic, I think any leftovers will work in a slider - from pulled pork (& peaches), to brisket or meatballs.

To make it more interesting, toast the bread in a waffle maker, & cut to size, or use Hawaiian rolls.

Years ago I ate at Nathan's in New York (Brooklyn - not the City), & I liked the chow mein on a burger bun. That might be another way to go.

I have White Castle's frozen burgers (in a pinch). I haven't seen a white castle around these parts. There are copycat recipes on the web, if you want to make your own.

Last edited:
Anyone remember the Lum's Ollie Burger? The guy split from Lums locally and started selling the burgers as Ollie's Trolly. Didn't last long.

Years ago I ate at Nathan's in New York (Brooklyn - not the City), & I liked the chow mein on a burger bun. That might be another way to go.

there's a weird thing in belfast, ireland where they eat chinese takeout such as curry chicken on soft white bread (like wonder). it's not bad, really.

I think of sliders as being small. Just one or maybe two bites. Have never had any. BK used to sell them. Don't know if they still do. Will find out this summer when I stop there on the way to sitting on the beach while I do my sewing. If they do, I will make the ultimate sacrifice, purchase the said product and report back with a review. :angel:

Why are they called Sliders?

Is it because all the fillings slide out?

No. Two bites and they slide down your gullet. They are just very small burgers. They are usually sold in fours. Some places will put the fixings on them. Most don't. Just plain burgers on a very specially baked tiny bun. It is a gimmick food. One of those "Oh how cute!" things. :angel:

I make pork chop sliders. Pork loin medallions, fried up with your favorite seasoning salt, topped with creamy cole slaw served on dinner rolls. Served hot, two each for us. I fry up a bunch of the pork and stack them in the fridge for quick lunches.

Thanks Ads, I get in now :)
Kylie, the phrase originated with White Castle, an American burger chain. As I mentioned above, it was a derogatory term, owing to the cheap, greasy meat that they used to make their burgers. The WC burgers were (and still are) tiny - about 1 ounce total. People called them sliders because they are greasy little gut bombs that slide right through your digestive tract. They are also considered perfect hangover food.

More here:
Oi, Yank! What's a Slider? | A Hamburger Today

Last edited:
I make pulled pork sliders. It is a great addition to a pot luck. People can have a little pulled pork sandwich and still have room to sample all of the other good dishes at the potluck. It is also easy to bring to the potluck. I just put the pulled pork in my crock pot, bag up the sliced rolls, and bring along assorted bottled BBQ sauces. :yum: it is always a hit!

No. Two bites and they slide down your gullet. They are just very small burgers. They are usually sold in fours. Some places will put the fixings on them. Most don't. Just plain burgers on a very specially baked tiny bun. It is a gimmick food. One of those "Oh how cute!" things. :angel:

A gimmick that works! My kids love the mini burgers and hotdogs.
I'm a sucker for them too :angel: They are cute!

Kylie, the phrase originated with White Castle, an American burger chain. As I mentioned above, it was a derogatory term, owing to the cheap, greasy meat that they used to make their burgers. The WC burgers were (and still are) tiny - about 1 ounce total. People called them sliders because they are greasy little gut bombs that slide right through your digestive tract. They are also considered perfect hangover food.

More here:
Oi, Yank! What's a Slider? | A Hamburger Today

Thanks for all the info Steve :)

I make pulled pork sliders. It is a great addition to a pot luck. People can have a little pulled pork sandwich and still have room to sample all of the other good dishes at the potluck. It is also easy to bring to the potluck. I just put the pulled pork in my crock pot, bag up the sliced rolls, and bring along assorted bottled BBQ sauces. :yum: it is always a hit!

i used do exactly the same thing when i cooked for my department's holiday party. there were so many things to put on your plate that a pulled pork slider was a perfect fit.

Back
Top Bottom