"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 06-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #11
Master Chef

Ok that's it. Putting a note in my phone to get Vidalias next time I'm in the city.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:38 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I've seen candy onions here starting a couple years ago, Cheryl. At a farmer's fruit stand. They aren't as sweet or moist as Vidalias.

Pac, do you get Walla Walla sweets out your way? We get Vidalias here but the WWS are a Pacific Northwest treat! You probably get them in Cali, Cheryl ;)

Old 06-09-2014, 06:17 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I've heard of Walla Wallas, so I might have seen them at Wegmans at one time, Somebunny. I don't think I've ever eaten any though.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Vidalias are the bomb. We get them here in GA in the 25 lb bags. Try them with Creole or Cajun spices in the well. If anyone has a smoker, put them in with the meat and smoke them. YUM.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Cipollinis would be great on the grill!
Old 06-09-2014, 12:17 PM   #16
Head Chef

I like to cut Vidalias in thick horizontal slices, sprinkle with olive oil and salt and pepper, and grill until they are browned. I don't cook them all the way done, I like them crunchy with a little char.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #17
Master Chef

I almost exclusively use the large white onions from our local Mexican market. It's hard to beat the cost at a quarter a pound! Even raw, they don't cause the indigestion of other onions, even the purple ones. I'll have to try the ideas here about baking and grilling, as I haven't done that in a very long time.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Pac, do you get Walla Walla sweets out your way? We get Vidalias here but the WWS are a Pacific Northwest treat! You probably get them in Cali, Cheryl ;)
I used to live in WA and remember the Walla Wallas. Love 'em! We only have 2 grocery stores out here in the middle of nowhere, but if I checked at Whole Foods or a larger grocer down in the city, I bet I could find them.

Kayelle, I love the big white onions too, and use them more than any other onion. Can't get them for .25/lb though, that's a great deal!
Old 06-13-2014, 06:16 PM   #19
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I almost exclusively use the large white onions from our local Mexican market. It's hard to beat the cost at a quarter a pound! Even raw, they don't cause the indigestion of other onions, even the purple ones. I'll have to try the ideas here about baking and grilling, as I haven't done that in a very long time.
You to? Those markets are the only places here where they can be found.They've been just fine for recipe that I've used that needed sweet onions.

I'm trying another way to cook them now.Incorporating all of the fantastic suggestions here.Just trying another version of cooking them.Especially when it's a sole person (me who loves them)

Using the grill or smoker today=unsafe.Too windy. That's out.
Million things to do still today that I won't have time to watch the oven.

To simple size the options.

Crockpot them using the 1qt crock

Grab the biggest onion.Peel back the skin.Cut off 1/2" from the top.
Place it on an onion cutter.The kind for making blooming onions.Mine is the old William and Sonoma one.Black with stainless steel blades that stagger.It has a stopper to let you know where to stop.Great sturdy handles.
All I had to do additionally was to cut a little more off the bottom to keep it in an upright position in the crock.

Place it directly in the middle of the crock.
Drizzled a little Tuscan & Garlic infused oils over the top.
Sprinkled a little Kosher salt on with fresh Black pepper,Paprika.

Around the sides I added a few garlic cloves that a local organic farmer sent over for me a few days ago.I've been looking for an excuse to use them.

Turned it on.It has no high low setting.Let the condensation do it's thing.
We'll see how it turns out.It's certainly smelling good.
I might add an Italian sausage to it and have Bruchetta's for dinner.

Next time thought I'm going to try either Harissa or Chipole oils and see how it goes.

Munky.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:10 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
You to? Those markets are the only places here where they can be found.They've been just fine for recipe that I've used that needed sweet onions.

I'm trying another way to cook them now.Incorporating all of the fantastic suggestions here.Just trying another version of cooking them.Especially when it's a sole person (me who loves them)

Using the grill or smoker today=unsafe.Too windy. That's out.
Million things to do still today that I won't have time to watch the oven.

To simple size the options.

Crockpot them using the 1qt crock

Grab the biggest onion.Peel back the skin.Cut off 1/2" from the top.
Place it on an onion cutter.The kind for making blooming onions.Mine is the old William and Sonoma one.Black with stainless steel blades that stagger.It has a stopper to let you know where to stop.Great sturdy handles.
All I had to do additionally was to cut a little more off the bottom to keep it in an upright position in the crock.

Place it directly in the middle of the crock.
Drizzled a little Tuscan & Garlic infused oils over the top.
Sprinkled a little Kosher salt on with fresh Black pepper,Paprika.

Around the sides I added a few garlic cloves that a local organic farmer sent over for me a few days ago.I've been looking for an excuse to use them.

Turned it on.It has no high low setting.Let the condensation do it's thing.
We'll see how it turns out.It's certainly smelling good.
I might add an Italian sausage to it and have Bruchetta's for dinner.

Next time thought I'm going to try either Harissa or Chipole oils and see how it goes.

Munky.
Munky, those huge white onions are now 5 lbs for a dollar at the Mexican market here. Dang, that's nearly free. Last year I sliced around ten pounds of them and stuffed them into my crock pot to perfectly caramelize down after 18 hrs plugged into our patio outlet. Indoors one can only stand the smell of cooking onions for just so long! It's time to do more now at these prices as my freezer stash of zip lock bags is about gone.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onion, onions, roast