"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 09-21-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Soaked Clams on the Grill

Me and some friends love to get together and eat a couple hundred clams now and again, and we have come up with an excellent way to prepare them.

The first thing we do is soak the clams in a water/beer mixture, but not for too long, or the clams will die prematurely. We also add some salt, pepper, and whatever else we are feeling into the mixture.

Then it's as simple as throwing them on the grill, and hitting them with lemon and butter once in a while. When they open up, they are just about ready.

Served with some nice butter, it's about the best meal of clams I've ever had.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Head Chef

Charcoal grill or gas? Do you toss any wood chips in the grill?

Lee

Old 09-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
Master Chef

Growing up on the water in Long Island, NY, I spent the better part of all the spring thru summer months eating clams fresh off the charcoal grill (no need for wood chips - you're not smoking them), but we didn't bother soaking them in anything. Also, why pour butter & lemon juice on them on the grill? Since the clams are (or should be) tightly closed, what's the point? And once they just start to open, they're done (unless you like eating rubber - lol!!).

However, once those babies just start to open, take them off & serve them with large bowls of melted butter with fresh lemon juice & that's all that's needed for a real feast. This is also the time for lots of cold beer - a much better use for it than soaking clams that don't need it - lol!!!!
Old 09-21-2007, 03:15 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I love clams. Can someone refresh my memory as to getting the sand out of them prior to cooking? It is such a turn off when you eat a clam and get a grain of sand in your mouth.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Growing up on the water in Long Island, NY, I spent the better part of all the spring thru summer months eating clams fresh off the charcoal grill (no need for wood chips - you're not smoking them), but we didn't bother soaking them in anything. Also, why pour butter & lemon juice on them on the grill? Since the clams are (or should be) tightly closed, what's the point? And once they just start to open, they're done (unless you like eating rubber - lol!!).

However, once those babies just start to open, take them off & serve them with large bowls of melted butter with fresh lemon juice & that's all that's needed for a real feast. This is also the time for lots of cold beer - a much better use for it than soaking clams that don't need it - lol!!!!
The clams open...we put some butter and lemon on them, salt, pepper, what have you. Then take them off, and you can do whatever you like from there.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:50 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Charcoal grill or gas? Do you toss any wood chips in the grill?

Lee
Ooohh....that would be good...smoke them with some apple chips.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
If you get the chance try this with oysters too. Add a small dash of hot sauce and make that garlic butter instead of plain butter.

Can't wait to try with clams.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
water/beer mixture
What about using vinegar?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:00 AM   #9
Cook

The heck with the water...Straight beer is always good