Something for the grill/Grilled Romaine Lettuce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
A while back on the grilling/smoking forums, grilled romaine was popping up as something else to grill. It might have even been mentioned here and met with some skepticism, as who tosses lettuce on a grill?
Well, I do now :chef:
The slightly wilted lettuce, coupled with some nice grill marks and grill flavor is good a number of ways; with fresh parm grated on top, chopped up and used in a traditional salad, or sometimes I sauté some onions, garlic and carrots in EVOO and hit it with a little balsamic vinegar for a nice warm salad. A few leaves tossed on the grill also make a nice addition to a BLT.

Cut the romaine in half lengthwise, brush with EVOO if you like (mine always has minced garlic and other seasonings in it), then toss it on the grill for a few minutes. If it's over a flame, you will have flare ups with the oil, but that's a good thing.
Try it, you might like it.

Attachments

• grilled romaine & crostini.jpg
    grilled romaine & crostini.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 262
  • porto pizza and romaine.jpg
    porto pizza and romaine.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 246
  • romaine salad2.jpg
    romaine salad2.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 258
  • romaine salad.jpg
    romaine salad.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 254
  • romaine salad 1.jpg
    romaine salad 1.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 253
  • BLT3.jpg
    BLT3.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 266
Thanks, Z.
That's too bad about the grill. And I'm pretty sure you couldn't replicate this with a grill pan... not without the smoke alarms going off, lol.

How about under the broiler?

I don't know. I never use the broiler because mine (now) is at floor level.
Obviously, everyone's tastes are different, but I think the idea is to get a quick sear on the outside, and I'm not sure if a broiler would do that without cooking it through. I'm just not that familiar with using broilers. It might be worth a try.

I would think the broiler would be a great experiment and I can't see why it wouldn't give you something similar. I do think it might be a bit harder to keep an eye on things. It doesn't take long to get the lettuce grilled.

Very nice! Yeah, I remember several old discussions about grilling lettuce, here and elsewhere. I've never done it but gonna definitely give it a shot next time.

I thought all you folks from CA ate was lettuce... and mangos :LOL:
Thanks. I'm surprised you haven't played around with this one yet.

I've seen Bobby Flay grill just about everything. All kinds of fruit, including peaches and pineapples. (OK, not grapes).

I've grilled pineapple. It wasn't bad, but I'm not a fan of warm fruit. I don't even like my pies warmed.
I'm looking forward to a couple months from now, when the fruit stand down the road is open for when I get a taste for grilled veggies.

I had grilled letuce at a place in Vegas a few years ago. It was good, I just never think of it when I am grilling.

I had grilled letuce at a place in Vegas a few years ago. It was good, I just never think of it when I am grilling.

You mean to tell me once the coals are hot you don't go looking for anything and everything to grill? We might have to take away yer starter chimney. :ROFLMAO:

try grilled pineapple (or mango, or peaches) brushed with a melted butter / dark rum mixture while grilling, served with vanilla ice cream and whatever berries are fresh...my favorite summer dessert

Back
Top Bottom