Spatchcocked Turkey from the grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ask-A-Butcher

Senior Cook
Spatchcocking a turkey is the same thing as spatchcocking a chicken...except that it takes a tad more muscle. Here is a short video (It will be replaced with a 'better' video in a couple weeks) It started out as a 13 lb turkey and ended up at 12 lbs.

Spatchcocked Turkey

It was brined for 18 hours in a simple solution of 1½ gal water, 1 cup Kosher salt, 1 cup Turbinado sugar (sub brown sugar) and a scant ¼ cup of ground black pepper. The turkey was then rinsed off, patted dry and a coat of olive oil was put on, along with a little granulated garlic and some Fines Herbes from Penzeys. This was applied to both sides.

SPturkey110708-1.jpg

The set up I used*

A full firebox of lump, a fires tarter on each side, no extra smoking wood added. The Primo "D" plates on the drip pan racks, the cooking grids in the 'legs up' position, a couple of half sized aluminum pans with a ½" water, and then the extended cooking racks were put in. Once the dome temp held steady at 325° for 15-20 minutes and the initial smoke had subsided, I added the turkey.

Note: a traditional 'spatchcocked' chicken or turkey is grilled direct on the extended grids without the "D" plates or the drip pans, but I personally do not care for the turkey drippings in the fire and creating the extra smoke.

Exactly 1½ hours later the breast meat was at 162° and the thighs at 178°.

SPturkey110708-2.jpg

SPturkey110708-3.jpg

After a five minute rest in some foil, the temps were at 168° and 185° (over done for some, but perfect for me!) and ready to eat.

Next time I'll cover the wing tips and the hocks to prevent scorching. This was a run through for Thanksgiving and probably one of the best turkeys I've ever cooked on the grill.

* This type of cook can be performed on ANY type grill....charcoal, gas, etc, as long as you have some type of heat barrier between the heat source and the turkey. Fire bricks work well, as do pizza stones.

Looks great, A.A.B. Did you use the drippings for gravy. I bet with the smokey flavor from grilling, they would be the best!

But one question: you said, "It started out as a 13 lb turkey and ended up at 12 lbs."
Did you actually weigh it after?

Looks great, A.A.B. Did you use the drippings for gravy. I bet with the smokey flavor from grilling, they would be the best!

Nope, I didn't use the drippings. I don't handle poultry 'juice' real well. No added smoking woods, just what ever flavor it got from the lump charcoal.

But one question: you said, "It started out as a 13 lb turkey and ended up at 12 lbs."
Did you actually weigh it after?

In the package it weighed 13+ lbs, when I got done trimming it, it went on the grill at 12 lbs. Sorry for the confusion.

i have been thinking about doing this ..
that a BGE ? did you cook it at 325 the entire time ?

I've spatchcocked chickens and Cornish game hens for the grill but never did a turkey. First thing I thought of when I read the title of your post was that it was going to be some job just like you said.

I have to admit your turkey looks great and if I had the nerve I would do one myself for Thanksgiving, but my kids are Tradition Anal and we only have turkey in the oven. Peasants! What do they know?:LOL:

Love the pictures!

How did you manage to cut the backbone out? A bone saw? I've been thinking about smoking a turkey in my rig, but I'm not sure if the thing would fit, unless I get the rotisserie attachment and remove the grids completely.

Thanks for sharing with us. I'm going to put this under the nose of a male family member and challenge him to duplicate it.:)

How did you manage to cut the backbone out? A bone saw? I've been thinking about smoking a turkey in my rig, but I'm not sure if the thing would fit, unless I get the rotisserie attachment and remove the grids completely.

I used a good heavy set of Poultry Scissors. A good sturdy steak knife would work, but I suggest folks use the poultry scissors, as they are safer. In the vid you can see the ones I used.

Ok. I have a cheaper set of shears. I probably should throw down the cash on a decent, heavy-duty set, especially to use at work.

Back
Top Bottom