"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 07-05-2006, 05:28 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Thanks for all your replies!

I made the St. Louis style pork ribs the same way I do my babybacks - two hours in 275 degree oven, finished them on the grill. Everyone said they were good - but I know now I prefer the baby backs. The St. Louis seemed more tough and were harder to eat than the babybacks because the babybacks just fall off the bone. Oh well, everyone has their opinion right, and I would never know if I hadn't tried. They weren't too bad though, we are having leftovers tonight!

Thanks again for all your help!

Old 07-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #12
Executive Chef

The later model comes with the therometer, extra flat rack and the silicone basting brush. It also has a stainless steal trim.

I rushed out last fall and bought mine from Target when I first heard about it.
What network did you see it demo'd on? Demonstrator is the word that you're trying to think of.

But if you can't afford it right now, you can still acheive that same great tenderness in your oven. Just set it to the lowest setting and slow cook your ribs overnight covered with some foil and some water at the bottom on the pan to keep them moist. Or use a roaster that has a matching fitting cover.

Wake up to moist tender juicy fall-off-the-bone ribs the next morning!! And as I found out, you don't even have to marinate them like I previously thought!

I showed a former roommate how to do it. He said he wasn't letting them marinate at all. His ribs came out real tender as well!! So I did that too, on account it was so late when I got back home. I was just too tired to start cooking the other night, so I just seasoned the ribs with the dryrub the next morning, put them in the Rival BBQ Pit, added some aromatic veggies, put a little bit of water in the bottom of the crock and let them go for themselves!!

Even without the need to marinate, I STILL had moist tender juicy fall-off-the-bone ribs!!

~Corey123.

~Corey123.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:09 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Let me tell ya growing up in STL, I never really knew what babyback ribs were.
Most of the BBQ joints (Mom amd Pop) serve mainly the STL style. You have your KC masterpieces and whatnot that introduced me to the babyback.
The STL cut is alittle more tough but has so much more flavor in my opinon
Old 03-11-2007, 05:37 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Both are excellent choices...Spareribs (St. Louis cut) I agree do have more flavor due to more finish. Properly prepared and cooked I would not characterize them as tough however

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #15
Executive Chef

When we were kids, we grew up eating BBQ'd spare ribs.

We did not know about babybacks of Luisiana ribs back then, or if they were even in existence. My mom and pop always used Open Pit BBQ sauce. Today, I make my own BBQ sauce. It's relatively easy.

But I got my first taste of babyback ribs at an Outback Steakhouse in Fort Myers durning one of the vacation weeks I spent there ay my brother and his girlfriend's house!! I've been liking them ever since!!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:20 AM   #16
Senior Cook

My vote is BB over STL for tenderness and flavor, STL over BB for yield.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

With spares (St. Louis included), it is possible to get the same tenderness as with babybacks. But it does take longer. I usually smoke them at 200-225 for several hours. At 225, it takes about 8 hours. Obviously, add some time if you cook at 200.

Last year for the Super Bowl, I put them on at about 6:30am before going to church. To help prevent drying out, I placed them on (but never covered with) foil. Then, I took them off around 4:30pm. They were amazing. Very tender, juicy, and tasty. And they didn't last long!