"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 07-04-2006, 07:01 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
St. Louis vs. Baby Back Ribs?

Last minute question - I was expecting to make baby back ribs today - however, we bought St. Louis style ribs. I woke up at 5:30am with the thought of going back to the store and getting what IIIIII want - I have never make the St. Louis style - what can I expect to be the difference - if any?

(I usually cover and cook for 2 hours at 275 then finish on the grill).

Old 07-04-2006, 08:30 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

St. Louis style ribs are just a version of spare ribs. I'd cook the similarly to the baby backs. They should cook in about the same time and taste the same.

Old 07-04-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Give me St. Louis style ribs over baby backs anytime. SL ribs are the large ribs with the top flap removed. Save the flap for spaghetti sauce it makes all the difference in the world. SL ribs are much meatier and have more flavor because there is a line of fat that runs the length of the slab. You cook them the same as baby backs. I roast mine in the oven in a covered roaster with 1 cup of Italian salad dressing, (you can make your own very easily) for about 2 hours at 275. Then lay the slab on a charcoal grill for about 6 minutes per side to char them a little. Add bbq sauce when you put them on the grill. Wow!!! There ain't nothin' like it.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
Last minute question - I was expecting to make baby back ribs today - however, we bought St. Louis style ribs. I woke up at 5:30am with the thought of going back to the store and getting what IIIIII want - I have never make the St. Louis style - what can I expect to be the difference - if any?

(I usually cover and cook for 2 hours at 275 then finish on the grill).
Maybe too late for now, but...

I prefer the taste of Baby backs (& pork ribs vs beef). I tried St Louis, (although they were pre-cooked), & wonder myself, is it just the bbq sauce that gives the ribs their name?
Old 07-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
...& wonder myself, is it just the bbq sauce that gives the ribs their name?
No, Mish. The St. Louis is a specific way to cut spare ribs. It has nothing to do with the flavorings used.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I've had St. Louis-style ribs, and they're great, but I must admit that my true passion is for the babyback ribs!!

I put some dry rub on mine, then slow-roast them for 6 to 7 hours, and they just fall off the bone when you go to eating them!! Tender, moist, juicy and succulent! I just made some today!!! In my Rival BBQ Pit Slow Cooker. To acheive the smokey outdoorsy flavor, I used some liquid smoke.

The key to great ribs is to slow bake them like you would with Boston Baked Beans. As Tony the Tiger says: They're GRRRR-E-A-T!!!

~Corey123.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Personally, I'll take St. Louis style ribs (or any more generous cut of spare ribs) over the baby back type any time. I like the meatier cut... you don't have to eat a whole slab just to get a decent portion. I have a couple of different rubs I use, then wrap them tightly in foil and cook in a 300° oven for about 2 hours. Alternatively, the seasoned ribs can be cooked on a sheet pan with 1/2 cup of chicken stock, covered and sealed tightly with foil. The rack can also be brined beforehand to make it even easier to keep them moist. And the brine can be seasoned as well.

Then they can be unwrapped, sauced and finished on the grill, or in a 450° oven for about 10-15 more minutes, or under the broiler for 5 minutes. The finishing should just carmelize any sauce you put on and make the edges a bit crispy. The meat will be tender and juicy.

There are so many possibilities with ribs, one of my favorite foods...
Old 07-04-2006, 06:16 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Two places in Massachusetts where you can get good tender juicy St. Louis-style ribs - Memphis Roadhouse in Attleboro and Theos' in downtown Sprinfield.

~Corey123.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:33 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
From what I've been reading lately, St. Louis style ribs are the preferred choice! I haven't seem them around here yet. I usually get country style ribs. Especially when the Big Y grocery store has them for "Buy 1, Get 2 Free". Lots of meat, very little bone.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:08 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
I just made some today!!! In my Rival BBQ Pit Slow Cooker. To acheive the smokey outdoorsy flavor, I used some liquid smoke.

The key to great ribs is to slow bake them like you would with Boston Baked Beans. As Tony the Tiger says: They're GRRRR-E-A-T!!!

~Corey123.
Corey123, recently I watched a demo for the Rival BBQ Pit Slow Cooker, and was so tempted to buy one (if only I had the counter space). Good to read your rave. You're right -- everything they cooked (two chickens at once, ribs, and on & on) looked GRRRR-E-A-T!!! The demo-er (is that a word?), said, you can put a few little foil packets with chips in there as well. From memory, it comes with a meat thermometer and a silicone basting brush. Talk me out of it.

Oh yeah, they also mentioned the key was slow cooking the ribs.