"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 10-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #11
Executive Chef

That is my favorite cut of steak I believe it's also called a NY Strip.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
That is my favorite cut of steak I believe it's also called a NY Strip.
Really? I always thought the NY strip came from the rear of the steer/cow, where the porterhouse and T-bone reside, whereas the ribeye or delmonico comes from the front section, along with filet mignon, and is basically a prime rib.....
I've never hear of a ribeye being called a strip, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. We need that cow diagram again

Old 10-26-2008, 08:22 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Depending on what area you are in...A "Delmonico" Steak (not a cut of beef) can be a Boneless Top Sirloin..Bone-In Top Sirloin,(cut from the short loin) or a Rib-Eye cut from the rib. The package label says Beef Rib Delmonico Steak...This says to me the steak is a Rib-eye...One cut from the large end of the rib-eye.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Tenderloins on vertebrate mammals are located inside the rib cage. If I remember right, the large end (often called the "butt end") of the tenderloin is snug up against the pelvis. Nobody really knows what the tenderloin is for. Some say it's used for posture. All anybody really knows is that the tenderloin isn't used for much of anything, which is why it's so tender.

The prime rib clod comes from the middle section of the cow. Ribeyes are cut from the prime rib.

Porterhouse loins start just in front of the pelvis. They are actually comprised of two "loins" with the chine bone included. One one side is the NY Strip, and the other side is the Tenderloin. As you more forward up the chine (spine), the tenderloin decreases in size, as does the NY striploin. After a certain point (I'm not sure where) the porterhouse loin becomes the t-bone loin.

This is how I believe the critter is put together. Of course, like pacanis said, we really need that poster that shows where the cuts come from. Some 3-D images would be helpful in showing the relationship of the tenderloin to the rest of the animal. Anybody got a NAMPS book?

When you're talking chickens/turkey, the "tenderloin" isn't what it is in mammals. The "tenderloin" is actually part of the breast, and is the main muscle responsible for the up-stroke of the wings.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:17 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Allen, do you know why the strip is named "NY"? Did New Yorkers prefer this cut over the rest?
Old 10-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #16
Sous Chef

when I grill a roast and call it steak. it is then dubbed "brontasauras steak" usually it is a chuck roast that I marinate for about an hour when done we cut very then slices of yummy med. rare meat
Old 10-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

This was certainly a 2-day piece of meat africhef (lol). Very good on the reheat, too.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:57 AM   #18
Sous Chef

what did you season it with? I make this marinade that my family really loves. it has brown sugar in it which forms a cripy outside and keeps everything juicy
Old 10-30-2008, 01:48 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Just salt and pepper. That's all I ever put on steak. Plus the sauce of course. I don't like a lot of seasonings directly on the meat, nothing that could take away very much from the actual beef flavor.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:13 PM   #20
Head Chef

That's how I buy our steaks also Pacanis.When you purchase the whole section and cut it yourself, it's not only less expensive, but you also have the option of cutting your steaks to the thickness that you prefer.