"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 10-31-2008, 01:49 PM   #31
Head Chef

Looks good.. My favorite steak has become the Flat iron cut. Great flavor, lean, tender... a very tasty piece of beef..

Old 10-31-2008, 03:01 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
These were a "leetle" thicker than I wanted, John, but I don't have a slicer or a sharp knife (and the skills) I would trust to cut a decent steak with. I don't do bad on a homemade loaf of bread though (lol).
I love em thick pacanis,
Harder to overcook that way! As for slicing, just purchase one decent quality chefs knife (as large as you are comfortable with) and have a go at it! Practice makes perfect and I've never messed up so bad that it couldn't be eaten. Although some of them looked as if I really tried...

Old 10-31-2008, 03:19 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to foodisfood Send a message via MSN to foodisfood Send a message via Skype™ to foodisfood
oh my gosh that looks amazing.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:37 PM   #34
Head Chef

My local Krogers has whole Beef Sirloin tips $1.99 a pound.
I don't have room in my freezer, dammmit!

But I could probably eat it all in a week, right? Breakfast. Lunch. Dinner.

I love steak.

Yours look delicious!
Old 10-31-2008, 04:27 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks guys.

John, I'm actually in the market for a good chef's knife, I just haven't asked yet. All the places here that usually specialized in that stuff are no longer around, so it looks like I'll be internet shopping for a knife Once I get some "pointers"...... but that's a whole nuther thread
Old 11-07-2008, 10:11 AM   #36
Executive Chef

I have two 8" chef's knives here at home. For most of my projects, those work fine. At work, I have a 10" chef's knife. I can cut steaks off of just about any cut with that knife. However, when I'm cutting ribeyes off a prime rib clod, I prefer to use my hollow-ground carving knife. The blade on that thing is 15" long, plus another 4" for the handle. I prefer that knife as I can trim the fatcap from end to end, working my way towards the "lip". Also, that knife is easy to slice through meat with, as that's what it's designed to do. The hollow-ground feature really does reduce the drag.

Pacanis, have you read through the knives sub-forum? There's a LOT of good info there. But, in all honesty, finding the right knife means you need to get your hand on one, and at least make some cutting motions so that you'll know how that knife fits your hand.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:22 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
I have two 8" chef's knives here at home. For most of my projects, those work fine. At work, I have a 10" chef's knife. I can cut steaks off of just about any cut with that knife. However, when I'm cutting ribeyes off a prime rib clod, I prefer to use my hollow-ground carving knife. The blade on that thing is 15" long, plus another 4" for the handle. I prefer that knife as I can trim the fatcap from end to end, working my way towards the "lip". Also, that knife is easy to slice through meat with, as that's what it's designed to do. The hollow-ground feature really does reduce the drag.

Pacanis, have you read through the knives sub-forum? There's a LOT of good info there. But, in all honesty, finding the right knife means you need to get your hand on one, and at least make some cutting motions so that you'll know how that knife fits your hand.
I'm afraid......
Seriously, those folks seem so technical I've been holding off, especially because the advice will probably be similar to yours, get my hands on a knife, and as I said, that's impossible around here as far as I know. The kitchen tools store closed years ago. My option would be to order several that look like I'll like them, then send the ones I don't like back. The way I firgure it, since I have no knife skills to speak of, I wouldn't know what I was looking for anyway. I'm sure I could be comfortable adapting to anything I order.
I've been browsing through some knife stores online and the time will come when I will ask someone to point me in the right direction. Maybe I'll click on the knife forum today and see if someone already asked my questions.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid!

Yes, there's a LOT of technical stuff on that board. People who make their living using knives, or sharpening knives, tend to get really "touchy" about their blades, and how their sharpened.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

I already dived into the waters Allen!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

i hope they're not too choppy...

get it, choppy, knives...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote