"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 12-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #11
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
I try to grill year round as well whenever it warms up just enough.... this year I have a firepit that I was gifted by my neighbor... and a nice Weber courtesy of a lazy propane-using friend so major upgrade over the Walmart special I was using I am excited to get a nice big wood fire going in there on cold winter nights and grill... I love grilling maybe my favorite way to cook

your steak pics were lovely....made me hungry havent had a good steak in awhile... shopping list has been amended.
I have a firepit as well. I LOVE it. One catch with me. My backdoor opens out to a deck that is about 5 feet off the ground. Stairs lead down to a concrete patio that has my outdoor bar, firepit and my two webers (the smoker is in the shed when not in use).

I have to walk about 30 feet to get to my grills and firepit which includes some stairs. So when it is really cold I bring one of my webers up onto the deck right outside the back door. No need to have access to the table on the deck when it is 20 degrees.

If it's say, anywhere above 35-40 degrees I go down to the concrete patio, load up the firepit about 3 hours before I plan on grilling. Get the fire going and feed it for a couple of hours so when I am there to cook there is a nice bed of red hot coals to keep me warm. I stand between the grill and the firepit so the firepit keeps my butt warm and the grill keeps my....well....it keeps the front warm...

Old 12-09-2008, 05:08 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFanatic View Post
. One catch with me.
I have to walk about 30 feet to get to my grills and firepit
LOL! My catch is quite the opposite.... I live in a 130yr old rowhouse... it's only 13' wide.... when I use my firepit I am afraid I am going to set the whole block on fire... I keep in in the front yard becuase I enjoy creating a spectacle with it but I am sure its illegal in the city...

Old 12-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
LOL! My catch is quite the opposite.... I live in a 130yr old rowhouse... it's only 13' wide.... when I use my firepit I am afraid I am going to set the whole block on fire... I keep in in the front yard becuase I enjoy creating a spectacle with it but I am sure its illegal in the city...
Ahh, what the heck...
It didn't bother Philly's former mayor, why should it bother you.

Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 12-10-2008, 10:08 AM   #14
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
""You are only allowed to post URLs once you have at least 20 posts and are an established member in good standing." "

Just do what the one-time poster do, post the url in your signature
Actually I have a web site where I post all of this stuff, but it's really just for friends and family and there is by no means enough traffic on the site to generate any real discussion so I come to places like this, throw out some stuff I have done on the grill and get some dialogue going. I could post the link, but I'm not trying to sell anything. It's just a blog with a regular web address. Sort of a repository for all the crazy crap I've done on the grill in the last few years that I have photographed.

It's hard to find people that want to talk about grilling this time of the year. Not everyone is a GrillinFool like me who was outside on Saturday night in 30 degree temp (23 degrees with the windchill with 30 MPH winds) experimenting with Chicken Cordon Bleu and Chicken Spedini on the grill. Yeah, that was me freezing my rear end off for an experiment and all the while snapping pictures!?!?! And what should've been a 30-40 minute cooking process turned into about double that because it was hard to keep the heat up with the weather. I had to open the grill at one point and just let the charcoal get some serious air which halted the cooking process on my chicken because I was indirecting them and with the lid off they got no heat. That was a rough one.

And I was a biscuit away from grilling last night because it was supposed to sleet and then snow. Glad I didn't because it was just sleet. Love grilling in the snow. Sleet not so much. And the freezing rain I grilled in last year was a nightmare. They said it would snow. Instead it poured down rain that froze once it hit the ground. Talk about miserable. I was soaked to the bone....
Old 12-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

Don't worry, you will be able to post links in no time. You are two posts away now.

I have not fired up my grill in a while, but seeing your pictures and reading your posts have gotten me excited to do it again. I think I will have to do that this weekend!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #16
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Don't worry, you will be able to post links in no time. You are two posts away now.

I have not fired up my grill in a while, but seeing your pictures and reading your posts have gotten me excited to do it again. I think I will have to do that this weekend!
This post will do the trick. I just posted in the thread about problems with a gas grill and was going to post a link to a digital remote thermometer on Amazon for the guy but was under the post requirement...

BTW, how can you be the site admin for the grillin forums and not grilled in a while!?!?! BOOOO!!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:52 AM   #17
Chief Eating Officer

LOL I am an Admin for the entire site, not just grilling, but I really should get out there more!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:53 AM   #18
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb View Post
lol i am an admin for the entire site, not just grilling, but i really should get out there more!

slacker!!!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Ahh, what the heck...
It didn't bother Philly's former mayor, why should it bother you.

Sorry, couldn't resist
LOL!... it does not bother me in the least... the neighborhood of Philly are pretty lax on enforcement if I lived in one of the classier sections of town I would have neighbors complaining left and right about me... barking dogs, roaring fires, beer cans in the yard...all sorts of work on my house with no permits....where I am the cops just drive by and my neighbors think i'm rich becase I have a 2 cars and a full time job.... and the next block down sort of looks like Beirut anyway!

After years in NYC apartments though it is nice to be able to grill outdoors again... trying to grill a steak inside on a cast iron grill pan in a NY apartment with no cross ventilation is qute a challenge when you have to explain to your vegetarian roomate why the whole place smells like beef eveytime she comes back from vacation.

Fanatic... I dont think posting your url would make anyone think you were trying to sell anything.. I will say I have my limits with the weather.... you are hard core dude
Old 12-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFanatic View Post
slacker!!!
You sound like my wife