"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 06-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
It's likely to burn over direct heat.

Since you're doing hot dogs and burgers, the grill won't be on long enough to do the potatoes. You could do them the same way in your oven or toaster oven. There will be no difference in flavor.
If you have your grill cranked they might burn but not if you put it on 350 as I stated. I also stated that if you want a bit of charring, place over direct heat. IMHO there is a definite difference in flavor.
Slicing them thin would speed up the cooking time considerably, maybe 30-40 minutes.
A good general rule for grilling items that you haven't done before is, ask yourself how long and at what temp would you cook them in your oven. The settings will be very similar on a grill.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend_018
I'm going to try to cut them thin. There just going to be scattered within the tin foil packet I guess. I was going to cut them and than put them in the middle of a tin foil packet and wrap the tin foil packet up leaving some room up top.
sounds Good, like Scollop potatoes :)
and there`s nothing saying you can`t Nuke them a little 1`st either, sometimes the MW is worth it`s weight in gold for just such things, as is Par boiling (I do that when I BBQ new potatos).

the trick will be getting all round heat and not Local heat as in the bottom burns and rest is still raw.
a long time on a medium heat will be better, so if you have a Top Rack put them on there whle you cook the rest 1`st, or around the edge of the Grill/Fire.
there is no real Upper limit of how long you can cook them then, a couple hours won`t hurt even (if sealed well), it`s the High and Local heat that`s the problem.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:18 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I make this all all the time, sometimes in the oven as well. Once my dh did cook the potatoes over direct heat on the grill, and they were just ruined. Blackened, crunchy coals, really awful. You would definitely want to make this with indirect heat. I add sliced onions and chopped fresh parsley to my potatoes, too. I never precook the potatoes.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:58 PM   #14
Head Chef

Reynold's Aluminum Foil's Grilling Recipes....

Foil cooking heaven !!

http://www.alcoa.com/reynoldskitchen...t=On+The+Grill
Old 08-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Wow, thanks for the link, there are dozens of recipes!!