"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by milford View Post
My son got a small charcoal grill for his birthday a few weeks ago. Today, he decides to invite some friends over and makes turkey burgers.

He's never grilled before. He had some frozen ground turkey he defrosted for the burgers. I believe it was 85%.

From what I heard, it was a disaster. The grill grates were spaced wide apart. 1-1/2 ". The burgers were "very" moist and fell thru the grill rack. The recipes I've seen on-line call for 93% turkey.

Any idea's what went wrong? Any idea's how to stiffen up the burgers? I know the grills not the greatest, but he's happy he got it. If he's really interested in grilling, I could get him a better grill and trade with him. I know I had a cheap grill years ago, and I got it to work for what I wanted.
It isn't about how he made the turkey burgers or how to make turkey burgers. There are 100 different ways. His problem was you can't realistically cook them on a new grill with 1 1/2 inch spaced grill lines, IMO. What likely happened is the low fat burgers stuck to the unseasoned grate and when he went to flip them, they refused to go on the spatula, instead pushing into a pile and then falling through the grate. Most of us have been there at one time or another. There is a learning curve to grilling.

Options: Probably a simple grill pad would work well. Non-stick, no flare ups, still lets smoke through, allows him to grill anything including vegies without losing it. Or get a grill overlay with tighter spacing. Or a new grill. Frankly, I would buy him the pad first. They are reusable, easy to clean, can be cut to any shape, and 3-5 of them might run $10. If he decides he really likes grilling, then you can move up.

mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #12
Senior Cook

https://www.amazon.com/Grilling-Mat-...charcoal+grill

Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #13
Head Chef

Milford, I have two suggestion, neither of which are specific to turkey.
  1. Encourage him to persist.
  2. For the foreseeable future, secretly eat before dining at his apartment.
My hunch is, it's not so much wanting to learn on his own as not wanting to be told what to do. Between the iterweb, tv, and books by "celebrity" chefs anybody who wants to learn to cook will be able to pretty easily.

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:02 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I made turkey meatballs that kept their shape during oven baking. It was 4 lbs of ground turkey, 8 slices of bread processed into crumbs (2+ cups), 3 eggs, seasonings. They browned on the bottom and the top without flipping them. Once they began to cool, they were solid and easily cut in half with a knife.
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
What gets me about that is the "safe to 500F". I know that my grill gets hotter than that on the grate. I can run the thermometer up to 500, and that is located in the hood. I don't want anything on my grill that I have to use that sort of caution with.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
What gets me about that is the "safe to 500F". I know that my grill gets hotter than that on the grate. I can run the thermometer up to 500, and that is located in the hood. I don't want anything on my grill that I have to use that sort of caution with.
Well then, you can certainly tell if you are going to want to cook at 500+. Few folks cook at 500+ except to sear steaks or burgers or other similar cooks. When doing that, I wouldn't use the pads

Also, I was talking about the OP's son. I doubt that a very cheap grill will get that hot and he can always cook indirect.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
Well then, you can certainly tell if you are going to want to cook at 500+. Few folks cook at 500+ except to sear steaks or burgers or other similar cooks. When doing that, I wouldn't use the pads

Also, I was talking about the OP's son. I doubt that a very cheap grill will get that hot and he can always cook indirect.
But.... wouldn't you want to put somewhat of a sear on a turkeyburger? Typically, grilling is done hot and fast, BBQ is slow. Cooking the ground turkey more slowly may work on the mats, but it won't be much different from just doing it in the oven. No maillard reaction from hot grill or hot sear.

The real mistake by the OP's son is using ground turkey and expecting it to cook like a beef burger.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
But.... wouldn't you want to put somewhat of a sear on a turkeyburger? Typically, grilling is done hot and fast, BBQ is slow. Cooking the ground turkey more slowly may work on the mats, but it won't be much different from just doing it in the oven. No maillard reaction from hot grill or hot sear.

The real mistake by the OP's son is using ground turkey and expecting it to cook like a beef burger.
450 is fine for burgers. If you don't think so, heat an electric fry pan to 450 and add some burger. I don't think he will only cook turkey burgers
either. The suggestion of a pad was just a cheap baby step. A second baby step I mentioned would be a grill overlay. lots of options other than 1 1/2 inch grill spacing. And the advantage of the mat is no seasoning required.

And the Maillard reaction kicks in for grilling at any temp above 350, it just takes longer.

Tags
turkey