Two Sided Grill Plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biev

Senior Cook
Hello, this is Bievs husband. Nice to meet you all.

I was cleaning my grille today. I noticed that my grilling plates have 2 different surfaces. I am wondering if I can use the other surface to cook......

The top looks like this _/\_/\_/\_

The bottom is just like this _ _ _ _ _

Will using this side be a problem? I think I can use it to cook more gentle meats *like fish*

Welcome to the site biev's husband!

I am not sure I completely understand, but as long as it is a stable surface I would not think it would be a problem to cook on that side. Just make sure to oil the surface (just as you would the other side) so that the food doesn't stick, but yeah it should be fine.

You should have gotten an instruction booklet with the grille - it should tell you if the plates are reversable or not. Knowing the Brand and Model Number (you didn't mention either) would certainly help a lot.

Reading between the lines ... it sounds like you have an indoor electric grill, like a George Foreman or Wolfgang Puck, with dishwasher safe removeable grill plates - and if they are reversable it would be a grill ( _/\_/\_/\_ side) / griddle (_ _ _ _ _ side).

What make and model do you have? Without that info it's kind of like "I had a dream last night - what does it mean?" - or "My car is making a funny noise - what's wrong?"

Last edited:
I have a Weber gas grill with porcelain coated cast iron grates. They have the same arrangement as yours. One side has pronounced ridges and the other side has flatter topped ridges. The first side will give you better grill marks.

If you choose to cook fish, be sure to oil the grate before cooking. You may find that the first side is better for fish because there is less surface actually touching the fish, reducing any potential sticking points.

biev said:

Oops! Sorry biev and mr. biev ... :blush: I didn't make the connection to the previous thread.

In light of the facts - I have to agree with Andy M. - the less cooking surface actually touching the fish the less the chance of sticking. Heat the grill, scrub it well with a stiff brush, and oil both the grate and the fish.

Another tip is don't mess with the fish after you put it on the grill. It should not be moved until you are aread to turn it - and only turn it ONCE.

Back
Top Bottom