We need DCer's Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Renee Attili

Head Chef
The company that I work for hosts a Charity BBQ Cook-Off benefiting our areas Soup Kitchen each year.
As one of the give aways to the public for bringing in canned goods and items, we compile different grilling and BBQ recipes and put them into booklet form.
I was hoping that you guys would share some of your favorite grilling/bbq dishes that could go into this years booklet.
I will gladly give you credit as the recipes originator, (if you got the recipe from someone else, Let me know and they will get mentioned also.)
So what do you say? Will you share some of your secrets?
The hungry in my area need your help.

This one is always a hit as long as the recipe is followed:

SPICY LIME-CILANTRO MARINATED FLANK STEAK

Ingredients:

3 lbs. Flank, Skirt, or Hanger Steak
1-2 Fresh Jalapeno or Serrano Chiles
6 Medium Cloves of Garlic
1 cup loosely packed fresh Cilantro, rinsed and dried
2 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme
1/2 Medium sized Red Onion OR 4 Shallots, coarsely chopped
2-4 Tbsp. Honey
Juice of 3 Limes
3/4 cup Olive Oil
Kosher Salt to taste

Method:

Combine all ingredients except for the steak and salt in a food processor or blender, and blend until ingredients are well incorporated. Use just one of the chilis, then add in another if you want it hotter. For one chili, use 2 Tbsp. Honey; use 3 Tbsp. Honey for two chiles. In a ziplock bag or shallow dish, place steak and all except for about 1/3 cup of the marinade. Massage marinade into both sides of the meat, and marinate overnight in the refrigerator, turning the meat at least twice.

Prepare Grill to Medium-High. Remove meat from the refrigerator, and let it sit at room temp. for at least 30 minutes. Season both sides of the steak liberally with the kosher salt and place on the grill. Cook to desired doneness, approx 4 minutes per side for Medium Rare. Using a sharp knife, slice steak on a bias to approx. 1/8"-1/4" slices. Drizzle the remaining marinade over the meat and serve.

Dry Rub and Sauce for Ribs or Pork Steaks

Dry Rub Ingredients:
2 tbl sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/8 tsp dry mustard

Sauce Ingredients:
1/2 cup catsup
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
3 tbls soy sauce
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp tobasco sauce

Directions:
Rub: Mix together rub ingredients, and use it to thoroughly rub the meat. Let stand for 2 hours.

Sauce: Combine sauce ingredients in a sauce pan. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Let simmer for a while (2 beers) on low. Brush on meat as a glaze when the meat is almost done. Serve what's left on the side. (Be careful not to contaminate sauce. Save some in a different bowl for dipping.)

*Note: Every one who has tried this says it's the best they've ever tasted, including my husband, who doesn't pull any punches with his opinions. We usually make about 8 times this recipe, saving the rub in a shaker and the sauce in empty catsup bottles. The sauce keeps a LONG time in the fridge.

*Another note: This sauce is also wonderful on pulled pork sandwiches.

Last edited:
Killer Baked Beans

[FONT=&quot]KILLER BAKED BEANS [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 lb ground beef or sausage, cooked & crumbled[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 lb diagonally sliced smoked sausage[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 can rotel tomatoes, including juice[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 medium onion, chopped[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 extra large can pork&beans, drained (reserve juice)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 can baby limas, drained[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 can butter beans, drained[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup brown sugar, packed[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 cup catsup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/4 cup mustard[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 tbl bacon grease[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In small bowl, microwave onions in bacon grease till soft. Mix all[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ingredients together except bacon bits. Adjust seasoning Add more juice from beans if needed. The mixture should be juicy. Add a little Tobasco if you wish. Put in sprayed baking dish and sprinkle bacon over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until hot and bubbly.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*Or, put in metal roasting pan, and set on the side of the grill for several hours. [/FONT]

If you want to do something different, sweat a little chopped green pepper with the onions and add a can of drained pineapple (crushed, chunks or slices) to the beans. Use the juice too, if you want…just give it a longer cooking time.

Carolina Slaw

This a is spicy slaw that tastes great on pulled pork sandwiches, or on the side with any BBQ'd meat.

Carolina Slaw

1 Cabbage; shredded (or 2 packages coleslaw mix)
1 tsp Pepper
2 Red and green bell peppers, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 c Cider vinegar
1/4 c Brown sugar
1 ts Salt
1/4-1/2 cups Ketchup

Mix everything but cabbage and peppers and taste. Add whatever you think you might want more of ( ketchup and sugar reduce bitterness).

Dump it in with the vegs and mix well. Let sit overnight in the fridge to chill and allow the flavors to mix.

I sure hope these recipes help you make a little money. I also have alcoholic punch and fruit salad recipes if you are interested.

Last edited:
Thanks So Much Guys;) I knew you were the ones to go to to help out! Keep them coming. We will be choosing the final recipes by the end of August, so I will let you know which ones we choose. We are looking for any kind of recipes for outdoor cooking whether fish, beef, turkey, fruit, veggies etc.
thanks again!!!!!:chef: ;) :rolleyes:

This is a mediterranean inspired, cold pasta salad. Makes a lot! I named it TORTELLINI WONDER.

3 oz Spanish Green Olives
13.75 oz can (Brine style) Artichoke hearts ... drained
3 oz Pitted Calamata Olives ... cut in half
8 oz Mozzarella Cheese ... cut into 1/2" cubes
25-35 Cherry Tomatoes ... cut in half
1/2 C Italian Dressing ... divided
1/2 C Parm/Romano Cheese (grated) ... divided
3 oz (half bag) Baby Spinach leaves
4.5 oz (half bag) Tri-color Cheese Tortellini
6 oz (half box) Tri-color Pasta ... any shape
---------------------------------------------
Salt large pot of water and bring to a boil. Meanwhile prepare tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, calamata olives, artichoke hearts and green olives. Place into very large bowl. Add 1/4C dressing and 1/4C grated cheese. Stir well and set aside. Depending on your pasta/tortellini choice, cook according to package directions. Generally cook Tortellini for 7 minutes, then add additional pasta and cook 6 minutes longer. Now add spinach and count to 30. Drain and rinse with cold water. Add pasta/spinach mix to large bowl set aside earlier. Add remaining dressing and grated cheese. Gently seperate spinach leaves as you stir. Cool over night. Serve cold. Enjoy!

The next day after a party, I cut up some chicken or cold cuts and mix into the left over salad. Very tasty lunch.

Babecued Turkey

This is my most sought after barbecued dish, and it's suprizingly easy.

Ingredients:
1 turkey between 15 and 22 lbs.
Salt
Cooking oil

Smoke Woods:
any single, or combination of Sugar Maple, Birch, Apple, or Cherry wood chunks, soaked in water for at least an hour.

Natural chunk or charcoal briquettes

Thaw the turkey according to directions on the label, and remove the giblets and neck. Place the removed items into 2 quarts of water and boil over medium for 30 minutes. While the giblets and neck are boiling, dry the turkey inside and out with paper towels. Rub with butter or extra-virgin olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt.

Place the charcoal into two piles on either side of a covered kettle grill, or if using a gas grill, light one burner only. Ignite and let heat until the charcoal is very hot. make a drip pan out a disposable aluminum loaf pan and place between the beds of golwing coals. Fill the pan with 2 cups of water. Place the wood on top of the coals, put the cooking grate on, and center the turkey over the drip pan. Place the cover on the grill and cook for 9 minutes per pound. At the end of the cooking time, use an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast, with the tip resting near the leg joint but not touching the bone. Continue testing as needed until the thermometer reads 155 F. Remove the bird to a platter and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the breasts as complet pieces and slice sidways, agains the grain. Carve off the legs, drumsticks, and wings. Arrange all on a platter. Take the little pieces of meat from the back. These are the most choice pieces on the turkey carcass. Share them with someone special.

If using a gas grill, place the wood in a throw-away pie tin, and over the lit burner. Place the bird over the unlit portion of your grill. Close the cover and follow the above directions.

Remove the giblets and neck from the turkey broth. Add salt and garlic to taste. Thicken with a cornstarch slurry.

Once the turkey is on the grill, and covered, leave it alone until the timer goes off. your bird will be exceptionally juicy and tender, and cooked all the way through.

From the kitchen of Bob Flowers

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom