"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 07-18-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
Master Chef

What else can you do with hibachis?

What else can you do with hibachis besides burgers, hot dogs, vegis, yakitoris, and carne asadas? I know there are limitations on these types of grills but what else can I cook on them to impress my wife and friends?

Old 07-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I guess hibachis has come to mean any small grill without a lid? I had several hibachi by Hibachi but I burned them out, or otherwise got unserviceable.

I have a Sportsman by Atlantic Foundry, now made by Lodge.

Unfortunately the size pretty much limits use to two or three people for entries. Unless there is the oblong pan that fits directly on top then an small army can be fed with fried foods/ fish.

My Sportsman is excellent for steak, chicken, chops, and so on. I think it would be excellent for roasting small quantities of chilies and peppers.

Thinking of this gives me hunger pangs distracts me from thinking too much further.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
Cook

Steaks, Chops, skinless chicken pieces, kabobs, even wings. One of my favorites that is somewhat impressive is spatchcocked Cornish Hen, or go all the way and cut the Cornish Hen in half with each half on its own side of the Hibachi. Use a little less coal for the Cornish Hen to avoid flare ups.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Anything you can do on a range.

I have a cheapo set of CI pans. Although cheap, the quality is second to none. I use the 8" and 10" skillets to saute with. Keep the fire to one side so you have a cool down area, or use a trivet. In the pic below I have the sauteed veg pretty much done just waiting for the meat. Just last night, I made pan roasted tri color new potatoes, sauteed peppers & onions, shashlik (pork kabobs). I've sauteed mushrooms with a sherry cream sauce that went over NY Strips. Foil wrap corn or potatoes.

Use your imagination. The CI pans hold in residual heat so they don't need to be over the fire all the time.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
Master Chef

Good idea about the CI pans except my Lodge Sportsman hibachi has very limited grill space that I don't think I have room. I can perhaps use a larger CI grate instead of the stock unit.

I'd like to try wings this weekend and see how they come out. I was actually thinking about that earlier. I'm trying to avoid using our large gas grill except for large cookouts.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I cook the veg nearly done first. Remove it from the fire then cook the meat. Remove the meat when it's done and tent. While the meat is resting, finish off the veg.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:57 PM   #7
Sous Chef

fish corn

kabobs with stew meat and peppers, mushroom, baby tomatoes, onions