"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 07-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyWater View Post
keping the lid closed means we can't cook other food at the same time; other food that's not being smoked ?
You can cook other things, but you'l need to keep the lid closed as much as possible. Usually, people have the smoker ..er...smoking, and use a seperate grill for dogs/burgers, etc.

A smoker really is just an oven that uses charchoal or wood as the source of heat. It would be difficult to roast a chicken in your oven with the door open.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:38 PM   #22
Sous Chef

the idea intrigues me, i'm just thinking it might be too much trouble for dh.

Old 07-16-2008, 03:37 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
keping the lid closed means we can't cook other food at the same time; other food that's not being smoked ?
Sometimes I'll do both at once...whatever I want to smoke sits away from the heat, and whatever I want to grill sits directly over the coals.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Here's what I do when I smoke on my grill and then want to make other things. Whatever I smoke usually has to rest and I let things rest for about 30 minutes. During this time I can cook my other sides i.e., halves of romaine, vegetables, etc. These foods will not have a very smokey flavor at all because the smoke will have been "all used up" so to speak. If you want to place some chicken or dogs on the grill you can even do that a bit before your smoked food is done. Just place on the other side where the burners are on. I usually close the lid on these things anyway so you'll still be finishing your smoked food at the same time.

It's really not that much work. You just have to be there. It requires nothing but time on your part.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
the idea intrigues me, i'm just thinking it might be too much trouble for dh.
Hi MW,
It's really not that much trouble, it just takes time.
If you're really interested, you can purchase an inexpensive water smoker. (just to get your feet wet) and try smoking chicken or pork shoulder. Both are inexpensive and are good choices for learning.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:08 PM   #26
Cook

Part of smoking that hasn’t been mentioned yet is the challenge of it. The “Can I Do It” part. A basic test of a good smoker is a beef brisket. If you can turn one of those out then you have your medal of honor. The flavor is great, the texture is phenomenal, but there comes a bit of pride and a sort of “badge” with being able to smoke a tough cut of meat for many hours and then shred it for a very tasty meal.

On the 4th of July a couple of weeks ago, I smoked a picnic shoulder. Off the cuff I figured on 8-10 hours of smoke time. Turns out, that monster took 14 hours! I was looking for a temp of 190 to 195 before I pulled it from the smoker. In about 6 or so hours, it hit 160 and then stuck. Absolutely stuck and hung there for another 4 hours. It was at this point that the collagen was breaking down internally making for pullable meat. Also, the bone was still in, so the bone had to heat up as well which took a considerable amount of time.

After 14 hours on, it came off and was wrapped in foil and deposited into an insulated cooler to rest. I had planned to rest it for 30 minutes, but ended up falling asleep on the couch (it was after midnight). After 2 hours of resting, I went to pulling it, and the meat near the bone was still too hot to hold easily in your hand. But, it all pulled so easily with just my fingers that I was very pleased and a bit proud.

I use a Weber water smoker, and I love it. It is a 3 piece unit with fire box on the bottom, cooking chamber in the middle, and a lid on top. I’ve found that I can load the fire box full, light it, then close the vents and it will run 4-5 hours at a perfect 225-235 with no fuss what so ever. Every hour or so, I check the temp and add wood. If the temp drops a bit low, I simply open the vents to fan the coals and it climbs right back to 225 and the vents get closed again. It’s really a very simple process, but a bit of time is required. For this 14 hour smoke, I actually had to pull the cook chamber off the firebox after about 9 hours and dump the ash. Then I added a fresh batch of coals and it ran till the shoulder was done.

It made a LOT of meat, but none went to waste. We even put some into a pot of beans and it made for some of the best beans I’ve ever had. Smoking is great. It takes time, but it is worth it, both in pride and taste.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:41 AM   #27
Sous Chef

Being that DH usually makes stuff that requires a few minutes on the grill, if I told him that something took 14 hours, he would never go for it!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:27 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Being that DH usually makes stuff that requires a few minutes on the grill, if I told him that something took 14 hours, he would never go for it!

He would if he could invite a bunch of guys over to sit around, drink beer, smoke cigars and play with fire for 14 hours!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #29
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikPilot View Post
He would if he could invite a bunch of guys over to sit around, drink beer, fart, smoke cigars and play with fire for 14 hours!!!!!!!!!!
Count me in!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #30
Sous Chef

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh