What is a "smoker" ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
keping the lid closed means we can't cook other food at the same time; other food that's not being smoked ?

You can cook other things, but you'l need to keep the lid closed as much as possible. Usually, people have the smoker ..er...smoking, and use a seperate grill for dogs/burgers, etc.

A smoker really is just an oven that uses charchoal or wood as the source of heat. It would be difficult to roast a chicken in your oven with the door open. ;)

keping the lid closed means we can't cook other food at the same time; other food that's not being smoked ?

Sometimes I'll do both at once...whatever I want to smoke sits away from the heat, and whatever I want to grill sits directly over the coals.

Here's what I do when I smoke on my grill and then want to make other things. Whatever I smoke usually has to rest and I let things rest for about 30 minutes. During this time I can cook my other sides i.e., halves of romaine, vegetables, etc. These foods will not have a very smokey flavor at all because the smoke will have been "all used up" so to speak. If you want to place some chicken or dogs on the grill you can even do that a bit before your smoked food is done. Just place on the other side where the burners are on. I usually close the lid on these things anyway so you'll still be finishing your smoked food at the same time.

It's really not that much work. You just have to be there. It requires nothing but time on your part. :chef:

the idea intrigues me, i'm just thinking it might be too much trouble for dh.

Hi MW,
It's really not that much trouble, it just takes time.
If you're really interested, you can purchase an inexpensive water smoker. (just to get your feet wet) and try smoking chicken or pork shoulder. Both are inexpensive and are good choices for learning.

Part of smoking that hasn’t been mentioned yet is the challenge of it. The “Can I Do It” part. A basic test of a good smoker is a beef brisket. If you can turn one of those out then you have your medal of honor. The flavor is great, the texture is phenomenal, but there comes a bit of pride and a sort of “badge” with being able to smoke a tough cut of meat for many hours and then shred it for a very tasty meal.

On the 4th of July a couple of weeks ago, I smoked a picnic shoulder. Off the cuff I figured on 8-10 hours of smoke time. Turns out, that monster took 14 hours! I was looking for a temp of 190 to 195 before I pulled it from the smoker. In about 6 or so hours, it hit 160 and then stuck. Absolutely stuck and hung there for another 4 hours. It was at this point that the collagen was breaking down internally making for pullable meat. Also, the bone was still in, so the bone had to heat up as well which took a considerable amount of time.

After 14 hours on, it came off and was wrapped in foil and deposited into an insulated cooler to rest. I had planned to rest it for 30 minutes, but ended up falling asleep on the couch (it was after midnight). After 2 hours of resting, I went to pulling it, and the meat near the bone was still too hot to hold easily in your hand. But, it all pulled so easily with just my fingers that I was very pleased and a bit proud.

I use a Weber water smoker, and I love it. It is a 3 piece unit with fire box on the bottom, cooking chamber in the middle, and a lid on top. I’ve found that I can load the fire box full, light it, then close the vents and it will run 4-5 hours at a perfect 225-235 with no fuss what so ever. Every hour or so, I check the temp and add wood. If the temp drops a bit low, I simply open the vents to fan the coals and it climbs right back to 225 and the vents get closed again. It’s really a very simple process, but a bit of time is required. For this 14 hour smoke, I actually had to pull the cook chamber off the firebox after about 9 hours and dump the ash. Then I added a fresh batch of coals and it ran till the shoulder was done.

It made a LOT of meat, but none went to waste. We even put some into a pot of beans and it made for some of the best beans I’ve ever had. Smoking is great. It takes time, but it is worth it, both in pride and taste.

Being that DH usually makes stuff that requires a few minutes on the grill, if I told him that something took 14 hours, he would never go for it!

Being that DH usually makes stuff that requires a few minutes on the grill, if I told him that something took 14 hours, he would never go for it!

He would if he could invite a bunch of guys over to sit around, drink beer, smoke cigars and play with fire for 14 hours!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

14 hours was just an example of the work some people will put into their Eats. I've gotten acceptable (!) results in 2~3 hours, depending on the meat.

Since you have propane extended cooking time couldn't be easier. After making sure the bottle has enough gas its pretty much a set and forget type deal. Every so often you just throw on another foil pack of chip/chunk.

I do direct smoking over charcoal, the fire needs tended every 20~30 minutes so the dieing coals ignite the fresh lump, and the chunks of Hickory (ie) tend to spring to flame.

I ask myself why I do this to myself, then I start eating and my question is answered.

Last week's smoke:

A pork loin stuffed with crushed garlic, extra virgin olive oil, prosciutto, fresh cut basil, mozzarella cheese, Gorgonzola cheese, salt & fresh cracked pepper, cherry chipolte rub, then the whole loin was wrapped in bacon and smoked for 3 hours over hickory and cherry wood.

We drank beer and made Pina Coladas during the cook.

That's why I have a smoker.

Last week's smoke:

A pork loin stuffed with crushed garlic, extra virgin olive oil, prosciutto, fresh cut basil, mozzarella cheese, Gorgonzola cheese, salt & fresh cracked pepper, cherry chipolte rub, then the whole loin was wrapped in bacon and smoked for 3 hours over hickory and cherry wood.

We drank beer and made Pina Coladas during the cook.

That's why I have a smoker.

Oh YUM!! Would that recipe work well in the oven?? Or would I lose some important flavors?:(

Ok, lots of questions, so I'm going to try and give you a comprehensive treatment of smoking foods.

First, smoking techniques can be used to enhance the flavor of meats, veggies, fish, and fruit. Each wood produces a slightly different flavor. The smoky flavor is caused by a deposition of smoke particles on any food. Those particles contain oils that distribute themselves over time into the food being smoked.

Smoke, in and of itself is normaly a bitter, pungeant flavor. But when it is applied in the right quantity, it loses its bitterness and belnds with the natural food flavors. It is usually combined with other flavors either during the cooking time, or by the application of finishing sauces or gravies.

When smoking meats, there are basically two types of smoking; hot and cold. Hot smoking is a technique where heat from the fire that produces the smoke also cooks the meat. This is the method used for foods like pork chops, beef brisket, Boston Butt, ribs, etc. The smoke penetrates the surface of the meat, staining it pink. This is called a "smoke ring" and is an indication that sufficient smoke oils have penetrated the meat to impart good flavor.

Cold smoking is a technique to infuse smoke flavor into cured meats such as country ham, bacon, many sausages, etc. The smoke fills the environment where the meat is kept, and has a low enough temperature that the meat remains raw. This is a technique that is used for foods like smoked salmon (which is eaten uncooked in many places), bacon, jerky (a dried, not cooked product), etc.

Fruits and veggies are hot-smoked.

Cold smoking is not usually done by home cooks as it can produce potentially dangerous pathogens in foods if not done properly.

You can hot-smoke in a variety of ways. Personally, I don't have a smoker, but achieve very good results on my Webber Kettle charcoal grill. I can get the indirect heat by seperating the charcoal into to piles, on opoosite sides of the grill, and laying soaked wood directly on top of the burning coals. The meat, or food to be smoked is placed in the middle, where no charcoal is under them. The wood protects the meat from intense infr-red radiation, and thus keeps the meat from scorching. Also, I control the temperture by adjusting the air vents. The less air I allow in, the less heat is produced.

Also, there are a few ways to decrease the time to get great smoked flavor. As was stated, smoking in the traditional way requires several hours of time, and a constant watching of the fire and wood. To decrease the required time, you can place tough meats in a pressure cooker to cook the meat, and then place it in a smoker to give it the smokey flavor you desire. I did this recently with pulled pork made from a Boston butt and it came out great. Everyone thought it had been cooked low & slow for hours. It cooked in a slow cooker, set on low, overnight whle I slept. Very little work for me. I then pulled the pork into shreds and put it into my heaviest cast iron pan and placed that on the grill, along with apple wood chunks. I stirred the meat after thirty minutes, and let it smoke for thirty more.

When smoking meats, it is important to ballance flavors. The end product must be a ballance between smokey, salty, and sweet flavors. Often times, a piece of meat in brined, marinated, or rubbed with a blend of sugars, spices, salt and herbs. In addition, many smokers use a "mop" to flavor the meat. This consists of a flavor mixture of water, salt, sugars, and herbs/spices that are brushed onto the meat periodically as it cooks.

You can also purchace indoor smokers, which are long, rectangular pans that have a lower and higher surface, with a tight fitting lid. The lower chaber is filled with either small wood chips or herbs. The upper chamber is where the food sits. Smoke from the bottom surounds the food and is held in the pan by the lid.

As for flavor, you just have to try different woods. I like fruit woods for pork, fruit woods, mesquite, maple, and birch for beef and poultry. I use hickory or cedar for fish. There are many other woods that are available, depending on your location. Some of these are walnut, pecan, peach, cherry, and alder.

I hope this gives you some insight into the world of smoking foods.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh YUM!! Would that recipe work well in the oven?? Or would I lose some important flavors?:(

It will work fine in the oven. About 1.5 hours at 250 degrees, but since it's pork your best bet is to stick a thermometer probe in it to measure the temp and pull it out of the oven at 145 degrees, let it sit for 10 minutes then slice.

our propane tank weighs a ton. i'm pretty nervous about getting it refilled as we don't drive. i'm not sure an extended cooking sesion would be wise for us.

although if i were invited somehwere, hint hint, and fed smoked food, i wouldn't say no ...........

our propane tank weighs a ton. i'm pretty nervous about getting it refilled as we don't drive. i'm not sure an extended cooking sesion would be wise for us.

although if i were invited somehwere, hint hint, and fed smoked food, i wouldn't say no ...........

Where do you live?

Back
Top Bottom