Whatcha Think #2: Honey BBQ Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Medwayman

Assistant Cook
Whatcha think #2: Honey-BBQ Grilled Chicken

Couldn't find any BBQ sauce recipes that I could make with what I had available, so I raided the fridge and the pantry figuring the worst I could do is make something horrible that killed us with saminella. :rolleyes:

STUFF:
- A full chicken breast (or 6-8 chicken legs)
- A liberal amount of store bought BBQ sauce (I probably used 1/4 of the bottle)
- A tablespoon or less of brown sugar
- A liberal 2 or 3 squirts from the honey bottle (tablespoon maybe?)
- A couple cranks on the pepper mill
- Half teaspoon of dried chilli powder
- A couple squirts of soy sauce (teaspoon or so?)

METHOD:
- Just dump it all in a bowl and make sure everything gets a nice covering. Maybe let it sit for a bit. I know the taste can go through it in an hour or two, but we let it sit in the fridge all day once and it was fabulous.
- Throw it on a hot grill and flip it every 5 minutes or so.
- Use one of them BBQ brushes to brush on more sauce with every flip
- Should be done in 20 minutes or so.

The sauce will blacken and crisp on the outside of the chicken, but anyplace where it doesn't will have a beautifull glossy red finish.

Whatcha think?

Medwayman said:
Whatcha think?

Store bought BBQ sauce....full of sugar. Corn syrup maybe?
Brown Sugar...obvious
Honey...obvious....

If your wife is trying to stay away from sugar...maybe you should skip this one.

Have Fun!

Store bought BBQ sauce....full of sugar. Corn syrup maybe?
Brown Sugar...obvious
Honey...obvious....

If your wife is trying to stay away from sugar...maybe you should skip this one.

Actually this one is for me when we're grilling together, or when the boys come over for beers. I make the rosemary/garlic/apple-cider-vinegar recipe for my wife.

Medwayman said:
The sauce will blacken and crisp on the outside of the chicken, but anyplace where it doesn't will have a beautifull glossy red finish.

Whatcha think?

Maybe wait until the very last few minutes to add the sauce...Instead of "blacken" (burnt sugar) It will have a beautiful glossy red finish all over!

Enjoy!

Maybe wait until the very last few minutes to add the sauce...Instead of "blacken" (burnt sugar) It will have a beautiful glossy red finish all over!

Thanks for the tip Uncle Bob. I considered doing this, but I wasn't sure if the flavor would permeate the chicken as much. I guess the sauce on the chicken would be just as strong as the chicken "marinating" in the sauce for a couple hours and then grilling?

Yep, what Uncle Bob said. I was going to suggest that when my computer kicked me off :mad:

Marinades are different than sauces. A BBQ sauce should be put on at the end - just long enough to sweeten up on the grill from caramelizing.

You are welcome! I don't think you will notice any appreciable difference between the two...other than not having the "blacken" flavor....a positive difference IMO.

You might as well baste the chicken with the sauce, or brush it on at the end to prevent burning like the others have said. That marinade won't noticeably penetrate the surface of the chicken. It will just coat it.

Back
Top Bottom