"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill
Old 05-11-2006, 08:27 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Thanks for everyone's replies. I forgot I started this thread. I've never heard of a chimney starter. I'll look around for it.

amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:32 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer
This is what they look like and they are the choice of professionals. You will never catch a real pro using lighter fluid. 99% of them will use a chimny. They are so easy to use too. If you can light a piece of newspaper on fire then you can use a chimney.

You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
amber you can also make a homemade chimney out of a 3-lb coffe can. But the real ones are so inexpensive it's less trouble to just go get one.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:50 PM   #14
Executive Chef
I dont see the advantage of a chimney starter. You pile up the coals vertically to conduct heat, you vent at bottom and top ( I do this too with regular charcoal). What type of charcoal is used in the chimney starter? Thanks GB for the pic that helped alot to visualize! Matts, charcoal made from wood? How does it ignite when you light the fire? I dont understand charcoal made from wood actually.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:55 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Another vote for a chimney. The smell of petroleum hydrocarbon is not particularily appetizing to me. Another vote for Kingsford in terms of all-purpose use but my favorite choice is mesquite lump charcoal.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:14 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
You can use either briquettes or lump charcoal in a chimney starter. Once the newspaper gets the coals burning, you dump them into the grill and proceed as always.

The fire from the bottom of the chimney creates a strong draft that gets the closely packed charcoal burning in about 10 minutes,
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
Originally Posted by amber
Matts, charcoal made from wood?
Most charcoal is made from wood. The cheaper ones use bituminous coal, but the better brands use wood charcoal mixed with coal.

The wood charcoal I was elluding to is made of pure wood. It's the original charcoal [my father told me during WWII that he say the ladies in Italy making this fuel by piling wood up, lighting it on fire, and covering it up to smolder like a teepee with a whole at the top] , and is made by slowly baking wood down until is becomes the lightweight black pieces that you find in your fireplace or campfire. I can't remember the name of the retail brand of this charcoal, but it looks to me that they make it from scrap cuts of lumber.

This natural charcoal is very light and if you are in the US and have a Trader Joe's store near you they have it, or you can go to the US national roofing supplier The Roof Center to get it -- they're all over the place.

It burns hotter and faster then Kingsford, but it is controlable, and you may need to add more charcoal for long cooking [more than an hour]. But it lights fast, is great at the beach, and is light in weight. We keep a bag of each around and use whichever one fits the need, quick fast fire, or slow reliable heat.
matts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #18
Senior Cook
Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
Here in Chicago I can Buy El Gallito (the rooster?) Brand Mesquite (lump) at the Mexican Market. I love it and I use lighter fluid if I am void of paper I can use. Every now and again I will pick up the Kingsford Mesquite but find it to have less of the smoky flavor.

Bryan Knox
What if the the Hokey Pokey IS what it is all about?
bknox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #19
Executive Chef
chunk charcoal with a chimney in my Weber...does me right for grilling and hot smokin' ... and my barrel barbeque for low and slow. Yes you need both! Aren't we all obsessive cooks?? lol
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 04:10 PM   #20
Head Chef
Kingsford in the ECB smoker, stacked in the "Minion Method",
Lump carcoal for direct grilling. Always started with either a chimney or a propain torch.

"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote