Which type of charcoal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gretchen said:
I don't think there would be because it is not in with the charcoal. But I don't think it is at all necessary either. I have had to stick another wadded up newspaper underneath from time to time.

I'd rather use another wad of paper than buy fatwood. Another thing for newbie chimney users: 2 pieces of newspaper is plenty. I thought more would be better but I was wrong.:chef:

Some of you guys go to great lengths (Goodweed!) to light charcoal.

When I use charcoal, its Kingsford, chimney with newspaper. I would like to try the lump and natural wood fuels though.

virginny-griller, there really is a difference with lump hardwood over briquette. almost as great a differential as charcoal is to propane grills.

unfortunately, it's more expensive as well. it costs more per weight unit, and burns hotter and faster than briquettes, so you use more. but if you only grill once in a while, it's the way to go. you get really great woody-smokey flavors on your food, without a trace of anything chemical in any way.

buckytom said:
virginny-griller, there really is a difference with lump hardwood over briquette. almost as great a differential as charcoal is to propane grills.

unfortunately, it's more expensive as well. it costs more per weight unit, and burns hotter and faster than briquettes, so you use more. but if you only grill once in a while, it's the way to go. you get really great woody-smokey flavors on your food, without a trace of anything chemical in any way.

Although Bucky considers me a dark side propane purist, I do in fact have a charcaol grill, and I'll also cast my vote for plain charcoal (no match light type stuff).

Although, If I could, I'd like to get some of the charcoal they filter Jack Daniels through. I bet that wouldn't need any lighter fluid at all :angel: , and the additional flavors imparted probably would be welcomed by most people running a charcoal grill. :mrgreen:

(I believe they actually DO sell some of the barrel staves as smoker wood, as do the folks from tabasco)

John

i stopped using lighter fluid a few years back .. once you use a chimney
you will never go back ...
a really easy way to light it is to put over a burner on a gas grill ...
thats about all i use mine for nowadays ..
as far as charcoal .. kingsford is ok is a pinch ..
i really like royal oak .. the taste and smell is fantastic ...
for lump .. cowboy is pretty good ...

I think, if you go back a ways, you'll find that I use a mix of briquette and lump hardwood. I've used Royal Oak before, but it's been years, and I can't remember how it stacks up to Cowboy. I like Cowboy, as it's fairly uniform in size (scrap lumber). If I remember right, I've gotten some really HUGE lumps of charcoal out of a bag, possible Royal Oak. One time, using Meijer store brand (up in Michigan), I actually got a good-sized ROCK in a bag of charcoal.

love2"Q" said:
i stopped using lighter fluid a few years back .. once you use a chimney
you will never go back ...
a really easy way to light it is to put over a burner on a gas grill ...
thats about all i use mine for nowadays ..
as far as charcoal .. kingsford is ok is a pinch ..
i really like royal oak .. the taste and smell is fantastic ...
for lump .. cowboy is pretty good ...

LOL - that's exactly what I use my gas grill for - to start my chimmeys! When I cook I usally need about 4 chimneys going because of the surface space. Then I get them going again - LOL

Allen - You gave me some very useful info about the briquettes and their staying power - that will come in handy on Wednesday when I smoke my turkey.

KE, yes, briquettes have "staying power", but I'm not crazy about the flavor of the smoke they produce, or the amount of ash they produce. Burning lump hardwood charcoal, or better yet, wood, gives a much cleaner tasting smoke, and less ash.

Now that I've got some wood, I only use charcoal to get the fire going.

Four chimneys of charcoal? Wow! How much food are you cooking?

If you remember my grill, it's huge. I've recently learned that to produce really great-tasting, juicy-tender meats like bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts, or pork tenderloins, "less is better" for charcoal. I've always loaded up two chimneys full of charcoal, got that going, and then seared/murdered my meat on the grill. Now, I load up just one chimney, get that going, spread the coals out evenly (they aren't really touching, but do give out an even heat), and drop the fire grate down to it's lowest position. Once I get the meat on the grill, I shut the lid and "fire-roast" the meat, usually turning it once every 5 minutes. After 20 minutes, I'll temp it with my probe thermometer to see if it's done.

Usually, the bone-in, skin-on breasts are given to me by my g'mother, and it actually takes 35 - 40 minutes to cook them. I also brine the breasts, as well as pork tenders, for an hour or so before I grill them.

buckytom said:

My experience is lump burns hotter and longer than briquettes so you dont use nearly as much as briquettes. Also the ash created by lump is minimal compared to briquettes.

amber said:
I dont see the advantage of a chimney starter. You pile up the coals vertically to conduct heat, you vent at bottom and top ( I do this too with regular charcoal). What type of charcoal is used in the chimney starter? Thanks GB for the pic that helped alot to visualize! Matts, charcoal made from wood? How does it ignite when you light the fire? I dont understand charcoal made from wood actually.

Amber - The Charcoal starter is a requirement at my house, and I do not own a gas grill. I like that the starter gets the charcoal going to a cook temp quickly, and does not require any fluids. Just a few pieces of news paper.

Once the starter is well lit (flames coming out the top), I know it's ready for use once the charcoal is white, or the flames have stoped coming out the top.

That is for grilling. If I am smoking something indirectly, I normally use hard wood "lump" for smoking (BBQ low and slow). I also have an electronic temp gage (three piece) so I can test the temp of the cook surface, and test the cook temp of two items (like a brisket and a pork roast).

Anywho, take what you want from my post. I like to both grill, and the BBQ. I just don't have the experience to call myself a BBQ expert.

Regards,

Casper

amber said:
I dont see the advantage of a chimney starter. You pile up the coals vertically to conduct heat, you vent at bottom and top ( I do this too with regular charcoal). What type of charcoal is used in the chimney starter? Thanks GB for the pic that helped alot to visualize! Matts, charcoal made from wood? How does it ignite when you light the fire? I dont understand charcoal made from wood actually.
Amber - The Charcoal starter is a requirement at my house, and I do not own a gas grill. I like that the starter gets the charcoal going to a cook temp quickly, and does not require any fluids. Just a few pieces of news paper.

Once the starter is well lit (flames coming out the top), I know it's ready for use once the charcoal is white, or the flames have stoped coming out the top.

That is for grilling. If I am smoking something indirectly, I normally use hard wood "lump" for smoking (BBQ low and slow). I also have an electronic temp gage (three piece) so I can test the temp of the cook surface, and test the cook temp of two items (like a brisket and a pork roast) remotely, and after hours. Ribs can take 6 hours, and Brisket can take 15 hours if large. It's nice to have a way to monitor without being physicaly there.

Anywho, take what you want from my post. I like to both grill, and the BBQ. I just don't have the experience to call myself a BBQ expert.

Regards,

Casper

Renee Attili said:
My experience is lump burns hotter and longer than briquettes so you dont use nearly as much as briquettes. Also the ash created by lump is minimal compared to briquettes.

I totally agree!
Couldn't understand why most ppl say it burns faster.
In fact I cooked ribs with lump for about 2 hrs without having to add more at all.
And yes, chimney.:)

A Chimney Starter functions as just that a HOT CHIMNEY.... the way the things are created allows you to strike one match at the bottom using newspaper..... within 10minutes you have a "Jet engine" full of blazing hot coals...

Normal (Preferably kingsford) charcoal is used Amber.... Once you go Chimney, you'll never go back to flluid... IMO...
:)

A Chimney Starter functions as just that a HOT CHIMNEY.... the way the things are created allows you to strike one match at the bottom using newspaper..... within 10minutes you have a "Jet engine" full of blazing hot coals...

Normal (Preferably kingsford) charcoal is used Amber.... Once you go Chimney, you'll never go back to flluid... IMO...
:)

I agree... The Chimney is actually what made me switch from Gas to Charcoal. It's just so easy...

Only issue I ever have is that I don't get the newspaper. So when I get that kind of paper, I hold on to it. Newspaper that sits for a while tends to not start the charcoal as good as "Fresh" newspaper..

-Brad

I use an old big coffee can and some lighter fluid. The idea is to stack the coals if you use fluid and when you use the can you can use less fluid and get a good light since the coals are stacked and held tight. Just load the can and spray some fluid and wait a minute. Then throw a match and in 20 minutes you are ready to go. I have been doing this for years and do not taste bit of fluid like some say they can. I have tried chimneys and gels and bottom starters and blow torches and all the other gadgets but with the coffee can I can replace at least once a month since I drink the coffee and I have never tasted fluid. It is a good set up if you ask me.

If you have access to lump charcoal you will never go wrong. It's typically used for pig roasts, but it is amazing for everything. It burns at a medium heat but last a long time so you'll get a great tasting steak every time.

I like lump charcoal but find it hard to come by around these parts. I also use a chimney starter, but cheat. I have found that when the humidity is high, the paper won'd always keep going and will have to be re-lit. This is time consuming and frustrating. My answer is to splash a bit of used cooking oil onto the crumpled newspaper and then light it. This garuntees that it will burn for a sufficeintly long time to ignite the charcoal, and doesn't impart any off flavors. It's also a great way to dispose of the used oil.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom