"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Cooking on the Grill

Old 09-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
That's the beauty of corn. You buy it. You set it right on the grill. No prepping required.
You should carefully peel back the husks, dont remove them, and remove the silk. Then you can push the husks back into place. Soak them in some water before grilling to prevent burning. I add butter, salt, pepper and sometimes grated parm to my grilled corn.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:14 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Eggplant?! I better get used to zucchini first
That's the beauty of corn. You buy it. You set it right on the grill. No prepping required. Hmmm, I wonder if you can grill carrots....

And; an inefficiently stacked dishwasher is nothing running it twice won't cure
I like your reasoning......pssssst....don't tell engineer hubby......but I do the same thing......and do try the eggplant......it's delish........

Old 09-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #23
Master Chef

As far as carrots go I would consider the baby, baby ones---they are very tender and sweet to begin with and shouldn't take any more time than your corn....a little bit of brown sugar, butter, and seasonings, and seal them in foil packets over the grill ought to be yummo--try adding a bit of orange juice, too!!! My kids loved the baby carrots in their lunches for school....now again for those coordinates to Astana, KZ..........:)
Old 09-02-2008, 11:35 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

To Jeeks

I should?
OK, that's one method. I might give it a try to see what it's all about. I've seen that method mentioned a few times. It might be worth the extra effort.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The kebob reference was just my way of saying I've never been a fan of any veggie I've grilled except for corn (ok, and obviously potatoes), but I've really only cooked several of the veggies you mentioned as kebobs, not by themselves.
And I do eat roasted asparagus, but I prefer it steamed, so I only grill that a couple times a year. Too pricey nowadays anyway. To eat it like corn anyway. A couple ears bought two at a time cost me a buck. Asparagus is up around $4/bunch.... and I always eat the whole bunch.

I'm going to give that marinated zuchini a try though. This week. I'll let you know. How thick do I cut it?
In half, lengthwise, so you have two long pieces. Then marinate cut side down. I'm not a big fan of zucchini by itself, but I love it like this.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
To Jeeks

I should?
OK, that's one method. I might give it a try to see what it's all about. I've seen that method mentioned a few times. It might be worth the extra effort.
How do you deal with the silks? You clean the corn after it's cooked?

Here's a shortcut - First boil the corn then quickly sear the cobs on the grill for color and flavor. Twice cooked corn. lol There's a few other thing's I'm going to try two different cooking methods on. Got the idea from a Mark Bittman episode. The chef made braised pork which was fall apart done, then flattened the pieces out and pan roasted them. How cool is that?!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
In half, lengthwise, so you have two long pieces. Then marinate cut side down. I'm not a big fan of zucchini by itself, but I love it like this.
That's exactly the way i do mine, too! maybe we'll make a veggie eater out of Woof Woof yet..........ok, jest kidding!!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #28
Master Chef

My grilled foods, in general, don't taste so good but what makes it fun for me is the ritual of firing up the grill and mingling over the flame with a bottle of beer. It doesn't matter what I'm cooking.
I have a perfectly good gas grill but am also looking for a new toy........ large charcoal grill to play with.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #29
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
Grilling is more fun, primarily for men, because we get to drink beer (as previously noted) and play with fire at the same time, and the result is FOOD! rather than arson charges.
ROTFL!

It's a beautiful thing, ain't it? *sigh*

Old 09-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic
You've got to try zucchini this way: cut in half lengthwise, whisk together EVOO, lemon juice, garlic, oregano and S&P and marinate zucchini, cut side down, for 1 hour. Grill cut side down about 10-12 minutes.
Switch out the lime for lemon, cilantro for oregano, add some cumin - that's just another way.

One of my favorites to grill is romaine!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote