"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 01-21-2015, 10:12 PM   #1
Senior Cook

10 min meals for camping and hiking

I'm looking for a few meal ideas for quick and easy food for hiking. I've got a 1.5 qt pot and a pocket rocket, (portable stove). Now I just need something other than Ramen noodles to cook. Any ideas?

Old 01-21-2015, 10:54 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

How many people are you cooking for? How many days and nights? Will you have a campfire for cooking hotdogs or sausages? Do you have a skillet?

Need more info

Old 01-21-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
Master Chef

Those little pocket rockets are really cool. I've got one too but haven't gone camping in a long while.... I did a little bike (bicycle) packin'/camping and this is as minimalist as you can get.
But basically, these things are really meant for boiling water and preparing freeze dried meals.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Those little pocket rockets are really cool. I've got one too but haven't gone camping in a long while.... I did a little bike (bicycle) packin'/camping and this is as minimalist as you can get.
But basically, these things are really meant for boiling water and preparing freeze dried meals.
Yeah, freeze dried is really the only thing that makes sense for hiking and backpacking.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Why not just stay put on the site and have some fondue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10382162_10152118954637797_8020301369254182598_n.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	22524  
Old 01-22-2015, 04:05 PM   #6
Master Chef

Are you carrying your food on your back?

If you are then how about couscous or some of the prepackaged rice and noodle mixtures from the grocery store. Things like Zatarain's red beans and rice, Near East couscous, Velveeta shells and cheese, Knorr soup and side dish mixes etc...

Nothing like processed food while communing with nature!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:30 PM   #7
Head Chef

What Aunt Bea said. Add some of that new kind of tuna, in the metallic bags, too.

Cheese and butter keep well without refrigeration, health food stores often carry dried veggies, which make a good soup if you add in some bouillon and pasta/rice.

Carry a little spice kit with a few of your favorites--that helps with the bland factor of packaged food. Maybe a couple cloves of garlic?

There are some dried sausages that keep without refrigeration, too.

Get yourself a dehydrator--you can dehydrate cooked ground beef, your favorite veggies and fruit.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #8
Senior Cook

When me the wife and kids go hiking we plan the food for each meal, so if we are doing a 2 day camp {thats tent one night}, we leave at 6am and eat breakfast before we go, then pack a nice sandwich for that lunch, we cook soups for dinner and I make my own dry soup, its simple, I just make a nice thick soup {way thicker than normal almost just to get the ingredients soft}, then I spread it on dehydrator plates and dehydrate it, depending on the soup it will dry into chips, I then blend them chips into powder. Then bag it up and when on the trail we just add water and boil it, it tastes like it was never dehydrated... I use the dehydrator and emulsion blender preparing these soups..

Next day for breakfast we will do veggies and eggs on the fry pan that I prep before hand, for lunch again with sandwiches except day 2's are on wraps and mostly veggies, with packet of dressing, and we normally are back at camp or home for dinner.

If I go hunting and I am going to be out a few days, I bring mountain house meals, I buy them in bulk and they keep a while {10 years} you can get them online amazon locally they are pretty east to get your hands on and by far taste the best for all the meals in a bag, they cook very well too, some of these products are just plain terrible, super salty, texture all wrong, cooing makes them inedible, etc. The mountain house stuff is all around decent and I kind of look forward to them on a hunting trip... Although I did call in a PAIR of black bears with them once, that was the first time I learned to eat before dark and far away from camp, lol {although I already knew that I just was cocky back then}...
Old 01-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchrisin View Post
I'm looking for a few meal ideas for quick and easy food for hiking. I've got a 1.5 qt pot and a pocket rocket, (portable stove). Now I just need something other than Ramen noodles to cook. Any ideas?
Blast from the past, got me to thinking here. I grew up out in the boonies near the Sierra Nevadas and still live here, we used to go hiking and camping a lot. I'm too old for the overnighters now.

For overnighters, we used to empty a couple cans of baked beans into ziplocks and ditch the cans, freeze the beans flat the night before so they'd be easy to transport, then warm them up in the bag in our small pot of water over the campfire. We'd freeze hot dogs or pre cooked sausages, and by the time we got where we were going, they'd be thawed but still cool. A whittled stick for a skewer over a campfire and you're good to go.

PB&J sammies....a couple of ziplocks of pre cooked bacon...obviously granola bars....depending on how long you'll be hiking before you can cook your meals, if you'll be able to fish , if you can have a campfire, and package your meals in a way that you have as little as possible to carry out, helps.

You've probably already thought about all this....Aunt Bea's suggestions of packaged rice etc., is a good one.

Oh, yeah, I almost forgot to add.....anything cooked, warmed up, or otherwise eaten in the great outdoors tastes wonderful, especially after you've been hiking for hours! Have a nice trip.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Learn your native edible plants and snack as you go.

Tags
camping, meals