Seasoning cast iron before using
I have a Bayou Classic dutch oven set and used the following instructions which worked well:
To season your cast iron proceed as follows:
- Spread Crisco [the popular brand of shortening made entirely of vegetable oil] on the inside and outside of the cast iron.
- Then put the cast iron in the oven or on a grill.
- The charcoal grill is preferred, because there is an odor which could stay in your kitchen.
- Let the cast iron stay on the grill until the charcoal goes out.
- If you do not have a charcoal grill, put it in the oven at 350° between 45-55 minutes
Hope that helps
PS There are more help type questions answered under FAQ on my website
Stephen Kember. A fanatic outdoor cook
that loves outdoor living and all things related. Now working as an e-retailer with the singular focus on helping others to enjoy outdoor living & outdoor cooking.