Advice on seasoning Dutch oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcas

Assistant Cook
I purchased a Gabriel Gate' cast iron dutch oven, the instructions that come with it suggest lard or shortening for seasoning it,and they say not to use vegetable oil. yet on other sites i have read that vegetable oils are better than lard ... i am a trifle confused, can anybody enlighten me please??

I use shortening just because that's what my Mama always used. It works fine.

I've bought new and used in the past. The new is harder than the old to season, the old comes seasoned:LOL:.
Best bet is, and I agree with the above, season as per your oven's instructions. They should know best for their product. You'll love it when all is done.

I cook almost exclusively on cast iron both Lodge (only Lodge will do) and LeCreuset. My black cast iron pots and pans were seasoned with Crisco according to the instruction directly from the customer service rep at Lodge. She suggested using only shortening for seasoning. So I do as I'm told. :rolleyes: My pans are gorgeous! They've been used enough so that they have a beautiful black satin finish and are totally non-stick.
When I wash my pans (very hot water only) I re-season them by placing them on the burner for about 1 minute after rubbing them with a paper towel dabbed in Crisco. Leave on the burner to cool and you will never have sticking problem.

Thanks for the advice all, it was just the difference of opinions that confused me, i can't wait until i get this seasoned correctly.

Cooked my first meal in it lastnight, roast chicken and vegies and the flavour was superb, but i did have a sticky pot to clean, so the preseasoning is obviously not adequate.

will get to work on it as i think i will be using it a lot .... ;)

I have posted this before but just in case, it may warrant repeating. I've found that it works for me anyway. A very old friend told me a hundred years ago, that to season and reseason her cast iron, to make sure that no rust accumulates, she puts them after washing in her fireplace with full ablaze happening in there. When she takes them out, they are spotless and no rust ever. I always put mine on a burner that has fire under it for just a second when I've 'washed' it so as to dry it completely.

I am sure some may so oh no to the above, but her trick has worked for me is all I'm sayin:wacko:

Thanks for the advice all, it was just the difference of opinions that confused me, i can't wait until i get this seasoned correctly.

Cooked my first meal in it lastnight, roast chicken and vegies and the flavour was superb, but i did have a sticky pot to clean, so the preseasoning is obviously not adequate.

will get to work on it as i think i will be using it a lot .... ;)

The preseasoning is adequate. It just takes some use before it develops a non-stick surface. As I said, the more you use it the better it gets. My pans are about 7 years old and they have a smooth satin finish. Do what I do and "season" every time you use it. Wash with very hot water, a stiff brush and NO soap. Be sure to dry it thoroughly, then take a paper towel dabbed in Crisco or some other solid shortening, rub the pan with it and leave it on the burner for a minute, (electric stoves 2 min.) then off the heat and leave it on the burner to cool.

If you cook something in your DO that contains fat, you will find that helps to give it that satin finish. Oven cooking in the DO is a big help.

With the initial seasoning do follow the instructions.

A note on vegtable based oils in your DO. If you are using your DO every 6 months then it is not a problem to re-season with vegtable based oils. HOWEVER, if you get beyond that point then you might be in for a big suprise when you open your pot and get knocked over with the rancid smell. Usually it is not this bad but when I had used crisco in the past I would sometimes open my DO to find a hint of that dreaded rancid smell.

Your best bet is to always re-season with lard. 2 reasons:
1. It will NEVER go rancid. I had a DO sit for 12 months and opened the lid to find a sweet smelling beautiful blackness shinning back at me. The aroma smelled as if I had cooked in it just minutes ago.
2. Like crisco it goes from a solid to liquid so its easy to transport and it is also the cheapest oil out there!

The only other oil that you can use that will never turn your DO rancid is mineral oil. I have a tuff time with the idea of mineral oil in my precious DO's so I stick with lard.

Seasoning cast iron before using

Hi

I have a Bayou Classic dutch oven set and used the following instructions which worked well:

To season your cast iron proceed as follows:

1. Spread Crisco [the popular brand of shortening made entirely of vegetable oil] on the inside and outside of the cast iron.
  2. Then put the cast iron in the oven or on a grill.
  3. The charcoal grill is preferred, because there is an odor which could stay in your kitchen.
  4. Let the cast iron stay on the grill until the charcoal goes out.
  5. If you do not have a charcoal grill, put it in the oven at 350° between 45-55 minutes
Hope that helps

Stephen

PS There are more help type questions answered under FAQ on my website

Back
Top Bottom