Back In Action - I hope!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
Hi folks!

I haven't been around for awhile simply because I haven't been able to do much cooking. I'll offer just a quick update.

We left Yellowstone in October of '07, after a great summer of making a dutch oven meal every Monday for the entire summer. After visiting the grandkids in Fallon, Nevada, we headed to southern California for a couple of months. But because we took a couple of weeks and drove (not the motorhome) back to Wisconsin for Christmas, I just never got out the dutch ovens. After leaving there, we spent a couple of months in Brannan Island State Recreational area (camp host volunteers) in Rio Vista, CA. But that's the delta area, and it seemed that the wind was always blowing 20 - 30 mph, so I didn't wnat to fight that. From there we've come out to St. Cloud, MN St. Cloud Campground, family camping, big rigs, good sam park, pool, playground, LP gas, RV suppies and will be here until mid October.

I have done a few meals since we've been here. We work with 6 other workamper couples here, and we had them over for dinner and I served the Bacon Potato Chowder recipe that I highlighted in this post: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/dutch-oven-cooking/37997-potato-bacon-chowder.html. Then a few nights ago, I felt like cooking something so I made 2 batches of Mixed Berry Crisp, which is in this post: http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/dutch-oven-cooking/35986-mixed-berry-crisp.html.

I really didn't think that I should post the same recipes a second time, so I didn't make a posting about those meals.

I have made a couple of acquisitions since I last posted. I finally bought my 12" deep dutch oven (8 qt.). It's a Lodge brand, and I found it at The Sportman's Warehouse in St. Cloud. I've posted a picture of it next to my 12" standard (6 qt.).

I also solved my problem of cooking in the rain. My wife, Jenny, spotted a 10' X 10" canopy in Shopko on sale for 50% off and bought it for me. I even use it to just keep off the sun. It sets up and comes down in a breeze. It's terrific. I posted a picture of it also.

In a week we're going back to our home town for Jenny's Dad's 80th birthday party. I'm taking ALL :ermm: of my DO hardware with us because I'll be doing a fish (walleye) fry one night and another DO meal some other evening. I haven't been told what I'll be cooking yet. :-p But I'll take pics of both meals and post the results.

I'm glad to get back here. I've missed posting, although I have done a bit of lurking. ;)

Attachments

• 12inch DO's.jpg
    12inch DO's.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 139
  • DO Canopy.jpg
    DO Canopy.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 136
WOW! What a great time you've been having!!! No wonder we hadn't heard from you in a while!
Great DOs and a good idea for the e-z up!
Nice to have you back on board, Garry!

Thanks. It's always nice to know that someone misses you.

What part of Southern CA are you in? We spent some time down in Big River, CA., which is on the Colorado River just across from Parker, AZ. We loved the RV park and the people there. In fact, the manager's of the park wanted us to stay on as the assistant managers. But I just couldn't see spending a summer in a place that gets to 130 degrees! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom