"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 06-05-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Banana Dump Cobbler

I tried this recipe for the first time and found it to be very good. Because I was using my 12" DO for the main dish, I used a 10" DO for the cobbler. This recipe is definitely for a 12". As the cobbler baked, the top kept touching the underside of the DO lid, so it did not have a nice finished look to it. But it tasted great! How could it not with a pound of butter and a pound of brown sugar in it?

It was a fun recipe, and a delicious dessert. Now I have an excuse to get a 12" deep DO!

Banana Dump Cobbler

Ingredients

1 package yellow cake mix
1 pound brown sugar
˝ pound margarine
5 pounds bananas
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Procedure

Heat Dutch oven and cover with coals for 15 minutes. Slice bananas lengthwise and set aside. Prepare cake mix, and set aside. Remove preheated oven from coals
and melt butter in the bottom. Add brown sugar and mix well with butter. Add bananas and sauté for three minutes over fire. Pour cake mixture over bananas.
Fold banana-sugar mixture up over cake mixture a few times. Sprinkle with cinnamon and white sugar. Bake 35 minutes. For the first 10 minutes use coals on the bottom only. Then add coals to oven top and continue baking until done.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dutch3.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	2764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dutch4.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	2765  

Name:	Dutch6.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	2766  

Old 06-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Dang, thanks for sharing.. You just gave me a reason to get a Dutch Oven finally...

Looks delicious!

-Brad

Old 06-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Cook

Hey Garry,

We've done the banana cobbler before also. It's good stuff. Yeah for finding an excuse to get a deep 12 — we probably use that size more than any of the others. It looks like you're having a lot of fun with your ovens. Keep it up!

Name:	banana_cobbler1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	2769

Name:	banana_cobbler.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	2770
Old 06-05-2007, 11:31 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchess
Hey Garry,

We've done the banana cobbler before also. It's good stuff. Yeah for finding an excuse to get a deep 12 — we probably use that size more than any of the others. It looks like you're having a lot of fun with your ovens. Keep it up!

Attachment 2769

Attachment 2770
I'm having a great time with these ovens. And what's fun is when strangers walk by and have to stop and see what we're doing. It's very surprising how many people have never even heard of dutch oven cooking.

Yeah, I definitely think the next purchase will have to be a 12" deep. From what I'm seeing here on DC, and other research I've been doing, the deep DO's are really very versatile. And it'll be nice to not have to try to "adjust" the recipe to fit a smaller DO.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Dutch Oven

Where do you buy your dutch ovens? Aren't they cast iron? I have one my MIL gave me but really showing wear.

Good recipe to use your bananas when they are starting to get too ripe.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2007, 11:37 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Yes, all of my dutch ovens and skillets are cast iron, although you can get aluminum DO's. I've bought all my cast iron cookware at different Big 5 Sporting Goods stores.

However, there are lots of stores that you can find them in. Stores such as Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops are good examples. These stores seem to be a bit pricey. You can also buy them on line from the manufacturer's. Just do a search on the internet for cast iron cookware and you'll find lots of possibilities.

Regarding your MIL's worn DO, they really don't wear out. You might need to do a little restoration and seasoning, and if you do, you'll probably have a dandy DO.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Right

Thanks for suggestion! You are probably right about the seasoning. Just that I seem to have so much going keep forgetting to maintain things. Now if I could just find the post on here that has exact instructions. I know I printed them. Only if I can find them again.

Thanks again
Old 06-06-2007, 12:13 PM   #8
Master Chef

Great looking recipe. I'm gonna have to break out my DO.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Where do you buy your dutch ovens? Aren't they cast iron? I have one my MIL gave me but really showing wear.

Good recipe to use your bananas when they are starting to get too ripe.

Thanks
I agree. Thank god for recipes like this or I'd be throwing away tons of bananas.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
Thanks for suggestion! You are probably right about the seasoning. Just that I seem to have so much going keep forgetting to maintain things. Now if I could just find the post on here that has exact instructions. I know I printed them. Only if I can find them again.

Thanks again
Here's a link to a post that discusses seasoning new and old dutch ovens. Maybe this is the one you were thinking of.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...oven-9712.html

If not, another simple search on the internet will provide the needed information.