Blackberry (Blueberry) Biscuit Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
This blackberry biscuit cake was actually a blueberry recipe. But the store was out of blueberries, so I got blackberries instead. I made this dessert in a 10" dutch, and luckily I'd bought 2 15oz. cans of blackberries. I actually think that it could have even used a 3rd can. But in my opinion, the biggest problem with this recipe is the bottom biscuit dough and the top biscuit dough. It's just way too much biscuit. It was very dry and the amount of biscuit overwhelmed the berries. I'll be revising this recipe to use 3 cans of berries. If that doesn't balance it out better, then I think I'd eliminate the bottom biscuit layer and just have a basic fruit cobbler.

So even though the dessert came out well, I consider it the closest thing to a flop I've had. But it can be salvaged, so you might want to give it a try.

Blueberry Biscuit Cake

400°
Oven Time: Preheat 15 minutes
Bake 20 – 30 minutes

Ingredients:

2 cups baking mix
2/3 cup milk
4 tablespoons sugar
1 15 ounce can blueberries

1. Mix the baking mix and milk together thoroughly with a fork.
2. Pat out half the dough to fit the bottom of a dutch oven.
3. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the sugar over the dough.
4. Drain the blueberries, saving the liquid.
5. Pour the blueberries into the oven and cover with the remaininghalf of the dough – which has been patted into a sheet about ½ inch thick.
6. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of sugar on top of the dough.
7. After tucking in the sides of the dough, pour the liquid from the blueberries on top.
8. Close the oven and bake.

Attachments

• Dutch Pizza1a.jpg
    Dutch Pizza1a.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 268
  • Dutch Pizza4a.jpg
    Dutch Pizza4a.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 256
Well the recipe certainly sounds and looks good. Will take your advice on the third can of berries though and maybe a bit more liquid in the dough mix to make it a bit softer.

Can't beat a dutch oven for great cooking

Back
Top Bottom