"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 08-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I was once invited to supper on a Polish ship. The meal was great. Then it was time for coffee and dessert. One of the sailors put a couple of heaping tablespoons of dark brown powder in each large mug and then poured hot water into the mugs. I was aghast. The powder came out of a jar marked "instant coffee".

I bravely tried the coffee. It was wonderful! I figured it out when I got near the bottom of the cup and found the coffee grounds. I use that method at home for "emergencies".

Old 03-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I like the last cups with grounds. Gives me an extra zip!

Old 03-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Head Chef

I like to take 12 to 16 oz of strong ground coffee, mix an egg in it, then wrap it in cheese cloth and tie it off . Dump it into my coffe pot and boil for 15 minutes, let sit for another 5 mins, remove the "sack" with a pig tail and serve.
My pot holds 2 gallons filled to the bottom of the spout. I also have a 5 gallon stainless steel milk can I use for large crowds and serve with a large laddle.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
Head Chef

I thought this thread was about the coffee in a bottle called Camp Coffee. Anyone ever use that. ?

Never been camping myself but if I did I would make tea of course .
Old 03-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
+1. Love the campfire, hate the outhouse etc.

Camp coffee sounds a bit like emergency coffee in our house. If you run out of coffee filters well, that's what you'd do! Still tastes good, just a bit gritty.
Have you never rinsed off your last filter and dried it in the m/w? Then you reuse it until you can get to the store.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #16
Master Chef

When we really camped years ago we used the Hoot method and then tossed in a couple of egg shells to help settle the grounds.

You drank the top half of the cup and chewed the last half! It tasted great and it was very filling!
Old 03-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
When we really camped years ago we used the Hoot method and then tossed in a couple of egg shells to help settle the grounds.

You drank the top half of the cup and chewed the last half! It tasted great and it was very filling!
They make coffee on the fishing boats with the egg shells. I was never a fan of it. They also toss in a dash of salt. The men usually made it strong enough so that your spoon would stand up on its own. And I have never been fond of chewing on coffee grounds. I always had a cup of tea.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
Master Chef

I make good old South African Moer Koffie. Put the grounds in a cut off stocking (not used), let it simmer in an earthenware coffee pot over the fire. Add a dash of brandy and sit around the campfire telling stories.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:39 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

i have to laugh at slob's "normal" people comment. life might be drastically different by him, but here the least normal people frequent starbucks ordering drinks rhat are far from a cup of camp coffee.

that said, using some kind of reuseable filter like a cheesecloth or stocking (unused, lol. unless that's your thing) would make sense and gave negligible weight; important for a traveller to a rustic environment such as a rendezvous.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Just got back from the Spring 'Vous yesterday. T'was uncommon chilly for the time of year. Mrs Hoot had indicated to me a few years ago that she would never again go to our winter camp. I 'spect that she will be marking future spring events off her calendar if there is even the slightest hint of chill in the air.
Back on topic.....More and more I am finding that "proper" coffee is getting scarce at the rendezvous. Just makes me more determined to keep doin' things my way.

Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee