Campfire cooking equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I reckon I will see if I can take some photos of our cooking set up at our Rendezvous which will be at the end of Oct.
Been cooking over the campfire for nigh on to twenty years. It is mighty hard to beat.
Specially bacon cooking, first thing in the morning.

Rendezvous in Missouri???(from another forum...)....

Our Rendezvous is in southeast Va..Surry County. The Olde Virginia Primitive Riflemen.
Was hoping to make it to the Eastern this year but it didn't happen.

I had to revive this thread, since I just finished up my annual canoe trip. We did the omelette for breakast again, but for our dinenr this year, I pre-boiled some pasta and brought some spaghetti sauce and had fried spaghetti over the coleman stove. We were eating in style this year and even had garlic bread toasted over the fire and a (plastic) bottle of wine!

I don't camp, but I use a fold out camping grill on my fire pit. LOL

img_676750_0_4c087325f62aace9cbaa81954a99eec7.jpg

Wonderfull picture, Jeekinz!

Your colors really pop and the wood-fire flavor is enviable.

I use a fold out out of the box camping grill over any size fire.
If the fire is too hot; I raise it higher or just swing it safe away.
If the fire is cooler; I lower it.

When I'm done I fold all the action inside a pizza size box and stow it away for the next time.

Attachments

• smallInsty-GrillStockTBone.jpg
    smallInsty-GrillStockTBone.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 467
The type of tools I use depends on how much cleanup I want to do. A roll of foil, couple oranges, and a couple of onions can make some great utensils. That is foil packs with vegetables, Hamburger cooked in Orange peel, and last but not least Eggs cooked in onion peel.

Campfire Cooking Grate

I use one of these Billy Bob's Campfire Cooking Grate. They are simply and heavy duty so I don't have to worry about breaking them or how I pack them when I am raft/camping. Wish I would've had it when I floated the Wilderness Section of the Middle Fork of the Flathead a couple years ago. But I'll have it with me next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know, remembering the days I went camping, back a few years, few to many, we just used some would sticks that we found around.

I don't know, remembering the days I went camping, back a few years, few to many, we just used some would sticks that we found around.
Yeah, but I either got lazy or smarter. My percalator tipped into the fire one too many times while camping trip so I went looking for a better way to cook on the fire.

Every year my sister and I took our Girl Scouts pioneer camping. First they had to create their own material for the fire. They took a tuna can, rolled up some corrugated cardboard strips, placed them in the can and then poured melted parafin wax in leaving some of the edges of the cardboard showing. This was their heat source.

Next a utensil to cook on. Take one of those large restaurant size cans, like the ones they get their tomatoes in. Wash thoroughly and using an old church key, turn the can upside down and punch three or four holes on the side to let the smoke escape. You remember church keys don't you? The ones you used to open beer with.

Light your heat source, place the can over the heat. Place bacon on the top. Cook until done. Next using the grease from the bacon fry your eggs on the top of the can. Using the crust place on top of the can to absorb the excess grease. Next place good bread on top for toast.

Get the idea of Pioneer Camping? The kids loved it and were disappointed when all three meals weren't made using this method. But every morning, they had a hearty meal to start their day off. Each girl had to cook their own breakfast and eat it. Some got it right, and some, well, it left something to be desired. But each day they showed improvement.

At night to end the day, they had a campfire to do the traditional marshmallows, hot dogs, etc. They learned about campfire safety, how to cook for themselves outdoors, and friendship. :chef:

Last edited:
This is going to sound crazy, but my favourite campfire cooking tool is aluminum foil :D
I love foil-pack meals, they're easy to make & don't require much attention while they're cooking (as long as you don't lose track of time)

This is going to sound crazy, but my favourite campfire cooking tool is aluminum foil :D
I love foil-pack meals, they're easy to make & don't require much attention while they're cooking (as long as you don't lose track of time)

Doesn't sound crazy to me at all. A great way to cook chicken and other meats. You just have to try to remember to have both side equal with the amount of foil. And don''t forget to spray it or use oil. :angel:

ThePunkHippie said:

And, you can cook them on the engine of the car when taking a trip.

I mix it up a lot. Backpacking I use a small Coleman light stove. I have assorted light weight pots and the like for that. While camping in any other fashion i either use a Coleman camp grill/stove or a camp fire as my heat source, but I always use a really new utensil to cook with. It is a duck blind bistro outdoor oven. It is amazing. I can cook biscuit with a campfire, then take the two halves as skillets to make bacon and sausage! It's a huge part of my camping arsenal and I love it because it is lighter than a cast iron Dutch

When we car/truck-camped I had a pice of 5/16th" plate steel 20"x20". Just like a flat-top stove. Made the solid stable rectangular fire pit out of large rocks to rest the griddle on. Used it for cooking everything. Army mess tins served multiple uses.
One 5 liter former Rogers Golden Syrup tin to boil water.
Slept in old fashion canvas surplus army tents with army cots.

Back
Top Bottom