"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 03-20-2005, 05:08 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Campfire cooking equipment

What kind of campfire cooking do you do and what tools do you use to do it? I suppose it depends on what kind of camping you do whether it is car camping or hiking into the woods with everything on your back.

When it comes to campfire cooking, I love car camping because I can bring lots of tools and coolers and heavy things like my cast iron. That is probably my favorite cooking tool when camping. I love being able to start a nice fire and use my cast iron for just about everything. I also have some knives that I use for camping only. They are the knives I had before I got my good ones. I don't have to worry about babying those so I don't mind if they get left in the dirt (by accident of course) at the end of the night.

What are some of your favorite things to use when camping and cooking?

Old 03-20-2005, 05:25 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I was just thinking about that a while ago, GB. Believe it or not, one of the most versatile camp cooking tools are the disposable aluminum turkey pans that are found in any supermarket. You can place one of those pans directly on a bed of coals and cook just about anything in them. The relatively thickness of the aluminum is enough to keep them from burning through and you don't have to worry about cleaning up.

Old 03-20-2005, 05:39 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Almost forgot, we're getting one of these for the Maintenance Facility this year. Who would NOT want one of these?!?

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...results1.jhtml

Sorry about the super long link!
Old 03-20-2005, 05:40 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
I bring a tiny gas grill, cast iron and my Dutch oven.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:21 PM   #5
Certified Executive Chef

Anyone here in the Girl or Boy Scouts as a youth? How about that dig the hole in the ground and heat big rocks and cover it up method? Used to work then. Luau's are done that way, maybe wasabi can help. As I only camp 'Hilton Style' cannot help you guys (I will do what ever campers do all day long, but when it comes to sleepy time, I want my shower and a regular bed, no pest ridden, bear attractin tents.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:22 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Believe it or not, one of the most versatile camp cooking tools are the disposable aluminum turkey pans that are found in any supermarket.
We actually used these to cook up some amazing looking rib eye steaks. I was ready to ascend to heaven until one of my drunk buddies decided that beer makes everything better and poured a full Guinness into each pan
Old 03-20-2005, 06:23 PM   #7
Executive Chef

We're kinda camping everytime we go to a contest. So we have grills, cast iron dutch ovens, camp ovens, camp stove.

We cook and eat outdoors. It is great! Then when the power goes out, we can still cook.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:24 PM   #8
Executive Chef

DC, that's pretty cool!
Old 03-21-2005, 05:04 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
DampCharcoal, that is a really cool camp tool, I will have to check that out. I think we have one of their new catalogs hanging around. I want to do more camping with my girls this year, we will have to plan some trips with friends so we aren't all alone! Sounds like a lot of fun! :-) And I will have to try the aluminum roasting pans, great idea!
Old 03-21-2005, 12:31 PM   #10
Executive Chef

One old Boy Scout, at your service!

Depending on what kind of camping I'm going to be doing dictates what kind of equipment, and what kind of cooking I'm going to be doing.

If I'm backpacking, weight and size need to be kept as small as possible. A Coleman backpacker's stove and a MSR Whisperlite stove make a good combo. The Coleman is capable of adjustable heat, for different kinds of cooking. The Whisperlite has two setting, off, and blow-torch. It's good for boiling water, especially for the dishes.

A good, lightweight, cookset that nests together is great. If not that, than a WWII - era mess kit from an Army/Navy surplus works just as well.

If I'm camping out of a vehicle, than I try to get a campsite with both a fire-ring, and someplace to put my 2-burner Coleman Camp Stove. Cast Iron skillets and Dutch Ovens work great. Also, so do foil-pack dinners, that you just throw in the coals. A grill grate is good as well, grill some steaks/burgers/chicken, roast some ears of corn, etc.

Hope this helps.