"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 07-31-2005, 07:28 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Campfire grill

I'm going to get a grill for camping over the camp fire. Right now I have a basket, but for longer cooking stuff it's a pain to hold or find something to prop on. Any suggestions on what kind of grill to get. So far I've seen the tripod type which I think only open to 18 inches and I don't think that's wide enough when using the truck rim typ fire rings at some camgropunds.

I've also see the kind where you pound a stake into the ground and then you can adjust the height of the grill.

Any suggestions, or should this be in another forum?

Thanks,
NIck

Old 07-31-2005, 07:45 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Hi sperduton and welcome to the site. I have the kind that sort of looks like a table. It is very inexpensive and gets the job done. It is not terrible large though, but you could always buy two. Here is one that is similar to the one I have. I like the kind you mentioned that you stake into the ground and then they are adjustable, but those are a bit more money.

By the way you posted this in the right forum for sure

Old 03-03-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
Cook

We love to cook over the fire but do not like to use the provided grills. Most state parks will not allow fires outside of the rings so we use a grill which will fit over the most rings. Sometimes I need to put one leg inside and the other outside. The grill is adjustable to height and has hangars for utensils and pots. One other benefit is a rotisserie which fits on top of the grill. I have attached a picture of our camp fire kitchen set up. When not in use I take the grill out of the ring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camp site Lowden.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1088  
Old 03-04-2006, 12:32 PM   #4
Master Chef

Nice looking set-up, Chaplain. My husband and I used to love to camp before I got so crippled up. Old age is not for sissies.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:10 AM   #5
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
My husband and I used to love to camp before I got so crippled up. Old age is not for sissies.
I too am disabled which is why I switched to the motor home from our trailer. By the way that picture was taken in Illinois at Lowden State Park. We have found Illinois to have wonderful state parks.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
Master Chef

That we do, Chaplain. If you ever get a chance to come further south, we have some great places down-state too. We live just south of Rend Lake, and there are some beautiful campsites there. Ferne Clyffe, Giant City, and Dixon Springs are a few of my favorites. Here is a website where you can find all sorts of information.

http://dnr.state.il.us/lands/Landmgt...R5/region5.htm
Old 04-11-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
Master Chef

When I was young and used to camp using borrowed tents from the military, I used to take my oven rack and use it! It would fit over any fire ring. It wasn't adjustable, and you had to cook close to the coals/wood, but it worked fine. If you opt for this, but do it more often than I did (a couple times a year) you might toss in a couple of cinder blocks to hold it up.

We were on the road in a trailer for three years straight and mostly used our little smokey joe weber for cooking, fires in the rings for atmosphere and fun. Yes, most places nowadays do not allow fires outside of specified fire rings. People are just too careless, and often do not bother to find out what the fire conditions are where they are camping.

Another hint is that if you're cooking in a pot over a fire, apply a coat of dish detergent to the bottom and sides of the pot. Makes cleaning that black stuff off much easier. I'd just use my regular old kitchen pots (in those days revere ware) and this made the clean up a whiz. I also make a point of bringing any cheap teflon skillets that have seen better times. At the end of the trip, they go into the trash. You can find these so darned cheap that you can consider them disposable.

After three years full-timing on the road, I'm a bastian of information on camping. Just yell if you have a question.

BTW, RVs that have been fitted with a ramp to the doorway can be a real blessing for handicapped individuals and their families. You can hold onto walls and counters to get from room to room. When you are in the hospital for treatment, those hours and hours of waiting are much easier for you and your loved ones when the RV is in the parking lot. Instead of trying to figure out what to do for 4 hours, or what restaurant is handicapped-friendly, or eating truly nasty hospital food, you can go "home", have a sandwich, and take a nap. We made many freinds on the road who had an RV just for that purpose, so they could go to a military installation, VA hospital, or the Mayo. We met people crippled from polio, unable to walk more than a few steps because of heart disease, people undergoing chemo. There was even a woman who had oxygen pumped into her little RV so she could go off of her oxygen tank!
Old 04-12-2006, 09:26 AM   #8
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Another hint is that if you're cooking in a pot over a fire, apply a coat of dish detergent to the bottom and sides of the pot. Makes cleaning that black stuff off much easier!
One note of warning is never use this method with a cast iron pot or pan. You will loose the seasoning that has built up from past cooking.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:37 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

The one I have I bought at Wal Mart it comes in a green box
Old 11-30-2006, 08:00 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Open fire camping grills

Hello, couldnt help reading about the grills and cooking over the campfire. I bought a open fire grill and just love it. If your looking for a great grill try www.campfireracks.com