Campfire Pork Butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Uncle Bob

Chef Extraordinaire
Boned out pork butt...seasoned with a rub....lightly browned....then the grill was raised to about 2 feet over the oak and hickory coals to finish...
Mopped several times with an oil and vinegar plus rub mixture about once per hour for about 5 hours...Taken to the house where it was wrapped in foil for about an hour until every thing else was ready! Good eats!

That looks like a real feast, UB.
My mouth is watering looking at that plate.

UB, that looks great! Did you pull it or serve it differently?

No..I didn't pull it...don't think it would have pulled due to it not reaching that high of a temperature.....It was served from the plate...cut with a fork or knife....kinda like country style "ribs"...some of it was a little passed prime... but most was very good. Cooking on a camp fire is not an exact science, so the hour resting in the foil helped the tenderness no doubt!

No..I didn't pull it...don't think it would have pulled due to it not reaching that high of a temperature.....It was served from the plate...cut with a fork or knife....kinda like country style "ribs"...some of it was a little passed prime... but most was very good. Cooking on a camp fire is not an exact science, so the hour resting in the foil helped the tenderness no doubt!

My favorite method of cooking pork on a campfire is lay out 2 big layers of heavy foil.
Place the pork down(I usually use loin, butt will work) lay quartered onions, potatoes, carrots around it. Smother it with red pepper relish(the sweet/hot stuff) sprinkle with salt, pepper, anything you particularly like. Wrap tightly!! If you have to add another layer of foil, do it.

Lay it directly on the coals(this is a charcoal bed, but wood coals are fine). Just don't toss it into a roaring fire....:chef:

You WANT the stuff to really brown off onto the foil. It kind of "candies". I usually let it lay on charcoal for 1 1/2 hours then turn and let it set for another 1 to 1 1/2 hours. When you open it up if the carrots are tender, its done.

Seriously good stuff..... And man is it easy to make and clean up!!!

Oh.. while it's cooking... don't even try and look at it until 1 hour AFTER you have turned it. Then you can slice open the foil and check..

That sure looks good, Bob. I've got a great rub and BBQ sauce for pork that I think you'd love. Everyone else does. If you want it, send me a PM, and I'll share it with you.

Back
Top Bottom