"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking
Old 06-28-2007, 02:30 PM   #11
DC's Angel
Bucky, you're makin me hungry!

As long as you're traveling light why not take a cast iron dutch oven and bake some nice fresh biscuits for breakfast?

If we weren't meant to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:38 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
i've never made biscuits before, buck. well, that is not from scratch. the only one's i've made exploded from a tube.

i love popping those tubes of dough.

it's only a short hike to the capmsite, so i don't mind carrying a lot of food. the frist day is only about two or three miles to a shelter on the appalachian trail. but it's all uphill and along a ridge.

the second day of the circuit hike is about 10 miles, of fairly rugged terrain, so you only want to carry out equipment, water, and garbage.
and aspirin.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
nothing is better than camping and cooking over the open flame!

Can't wait for the warm weather to return !
cheftom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #14
Executive Chef
Dont forget the mole skin for blisters.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:06 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
ok, since i've hijacked this thread, i'll tell yous guys a camping story about mole skin.

when i was a boy scout, our troop (troop 101 ) was going to be hiking a long circuit, ending up summiting on mount washington in n.h.. my mom made sure that i was very prepared. besides bathing my feet in rubbing alcohol every night (i told you that my mom was great) to toughen the skin, she packed several packages of moleskin in with my first aid kit.

now, i remember after a few days in the woods, we had run into this tiny side-of-the-road type general store in the middle of nowhere. being kids, we all rushed in intent on buying up all of the candy we could lay our hands on since we were pretty sick of snacking on jerky and gorp.
we learned a hard lesson that day as the candy was ridiculously priced, so most of us could only afford a single bar of chocolate or few packs of gum. some kids just refused to get ripped off, figuring we'd eventually see another store. our scout masters had a meeting with us that night after hearing all of the complaints about the prices. they thought it would be a good time to teach our young minds about supply and demand.

well, a day or so later along the hike, many kids started to get severe blisters as this was one of the more strenuous hikes that any of us had undertaken.
having learned my lesson well, i noticed that i was the only kid with a large supply of moleskin, and there were lots of uneaten or partially eaten candy bars left in kid's packs who had a demand for moleskin. putting my new knowledge to work, i started the mole skin racket. 50 cents or a hershey's bar per square inch of blister protection.

i went to sleep that night on a pile of change and a big chocolate ring around my mouth, jealously garding the rest of my stash of candy and moleskin in my sleeping bag.

my scam went on for another day, until i had finally relieved everyone of their money or candy. someone ratted me out to the leaders, who took me aside, and while trying to keep me from noticing their chuckles and twisted smiles, made me give what i had back and took away the rest of my mole skin to distribute as necessary.

i just wish i had known about payola. i might have been able to buy off one of the leaders with a cadbury's, and foot relief.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
Those biscuits exploded from a tube were a HIGHLIGHT at out thanksgiving table this year.

Even the kids were honkn em down!

--Insty-Grill ...mmm-m, & Ingeneously Quick & Easy!
T-Bones, U buym, I'll Frym! Always room for one more!
Insty-Grill is offline   Reply With Quote