Camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goboenomo

Head Chef
I went camping last month.
I had a pretty good time.
Making foods on the campfire has always been fun
Hotdogs, burgers, popcorn, marshmallows, kraft dinner, the works

he's a cool campfire snack or meal for your kids if you ever take them
cut the ends of the hotdogs into quarters from the tip to the middle length wise
do both ends
dont go RIGHT to the middle leave some space
and when the kids are cooking them the quarters will start to separate and curve and the hotdogs will look like spiders
:D

another you can do for kids - slit the hot dog about 1/3 of the way down in half; then cut slits on either side above the 'leg' cut about one inch down from the top for the arms - as they cook they will curl outwards.

Wish I'd known about the 'spider' long time ago - they would have loved that one!!

When We camped, many years ago, we helped the children make fruit pies out of pie filling and two slices of buttered bread. There is a special iron, necessry and available, probably at a camp store. Better than a pop tart.

Went Camping

We Went Camping About Two Weeks Ago We Had A Great Time
We Thougth It Was Going To Be Hot. 105 The Weather Man Called
For It Ended Up Raining Both Nights. Really Cooled Things Down.

We Did Have The Camp Fire For A Short Time But My Hubby Ended Up
Having To Cook Under An Umbrella While The Girls And I Were In The
Tent.

They Did Not Want To Go Home Will Need To Try To Camp Again Soon.

We Did Burgers One Night And Chicken Sandwiches The Next With
All The Fixings.

We Did Also Manage To Get In Some Roasted Marshmellows

rickell said:
We Went Camping About Two Weeks Ago We Had A Great Time
We Thougth It Was Going To Be Hot. 105 The Weather Man Called
For It Ended Up Raining Both Nights. Really Cooled Things Down.

We Did Have The Camp Fire For A Short Time But My Hubby Ended Up
Having To Cook Under An Umbrella While The Girls And I Were In The
Tent.

They Did Not Want To Go Home Will Need To Try To Camp Again Soon.

We Did Burgers One Night And Chicken Sandwiches The Next With
All The Fixings.

We Did Also Manage To Get In Some Roasted Marshmellows

Ouch, when we went camping the weather man said it was gonna rain every day, but it didnt rain once :)
pretty lucky
had a good time
my gf got to come with me, so i didnt have anything to miss

I love doing corn on the cob on the campfire. It always tastes so good.

wow, very cool picture, buck. i think i see faces in the sparks.

i have a camping trip planned for a coupla weekends from now. a friend named robert called and mentioned that another buddy, johnny, finally lost his younger brother kevin, a really great kid. kevin was born with a number of birth defects, and was on dialysis for most if not all of his life. they didn't expect him to live thru his teen years, but with the good care of his older bro, he lived until he was 34.

anyway, robert told me that johnny is taking his brother's loss very hard, so we decided that it would be good for him if we dragged him up a mountain and all celebrated the life and good memories of his family over a campfire.

sooo, our meals will be my standard overnight backpacking trip fare:

italian heroes, pringles, and beer for lunch.
the italian heroes (prosciutto, provolone, mozarella, salami, hot peppers, lettuce, tomato, onions, oregano, parsley, and evoo and red wine vinegar) actually get better after being squeezed in a pack for a short time, and pringles are good hiking food because they're in a tube and don't get crushed that badly.

for dinner, we'll have marinated london broil cooked over the campfire coals, bush's maple cured bacon baked beans, fire roasted red peppers, baked potatoes and corn on the cob. the potatoes and corn are pre-cooked, so they are wrapped in foil and just have to be re-heated in the fire.
also, a coupla goat skins of hearty burgundy, also warmed by the fire.

i'm not sure what breakfast will be the next day. my pack will already be well over a hundred pounds, so i may just bring pop tarts, butter, and rolls.
but if i can get one of the other guys to carry a cast iron pan, we'll have bacon and eggs with the rolls, and maybe even homefries cooked in the bacon fat.

and more beer. ;)

Bucky, you're makin me hungry!

As long as you're traveling light why not take a cast iron dutch oven and bake some nice fresh biscuits for breakfast?

i've never made biscuits before, buck. well, that is not from scratch. the only one's i've made exploded from a tube.

i love popping those tubes of dough.

it's only a short hike to the capmsite, so i don't mind carrying a lot of food. the frist day is only about two or three miles to a shelter on the appalachian trail. but it's all uphill and along a ridge.

the second day of the circuit hike is about 10 miles, of fairly rugged terrain, so you only want to carry out equipment, water, and garbage.
and aspirin.

nothing is better than camping and cooking over the open flame!

Can't wait for the warm weather to return !

ok, since i've hijacked this thread, i'll tell yous guys a camping story about mole skin.

when i was a boy scout, our troop (troop 101 :)) was going to be hiking a long circuit, ending up summiting on mount washington in n.h.. my mom made sure that i was very prepared. besides bathing my feet in rubbing alcohol every night (i told you that my mom was great) to toughen the skin, she packed several packages of moleskin in with my first aid kit.

now, i remember after a few days in the woods, we had run into this tiny side-of-the-road type general store in the middle of nowhere. being kids, we all rushed in intent on buying up all of the candy we could lay our hands on since we were pretty sick of snacking on jerky and gorp.
we learned a hard lesson that day as the candy was ridiculously priced, so most of us could only afford a single bar of chocolate or few packs of gum. some kids just refused to get ripped off, figuring we'd eventually see another store. our scout masters had a meeting with us that night after hearing all of the complaints about the prices. they thought it would be a good time to teach our young minds about supply and demand.

well, a day or so later along the hike, many kids started to get severe blisters as this was one of the more strenuous hikes that any of us had undertaken.
having learned my lesson well, i noticed that i was the only kid with a large supply of moleskin, and there were lots of uneaten or partially eaten candy bars left in kid's packs who had a demand for moleskin. putting my new knowledge to work, i started the mole skin racket. 50 cents or a hershey's bar per square inch of blister protection. :mrgreen:

i went to sleep that night on a pile of change and a big chocolate ring around my mouth, jealously garding the rest of my stash of candy and moleskin in my sleeping bag. :shifty:

my scam went on for another day, until i had finally relieved everyone of their money or candy. someone ratted me out to the leaders, who took me aside, and while trying to keep me from noticing their chuckles and twisted smiles, made me give what i had back and took away the rest of my mole skin to distribute as necessary. :mad:

i just wish i had known about payola. i might have been able to buy off one of the leaders with a cadbury's, and foot relief. :cool:

Those biscuits exploded from a tube were a HIGHLIGHT at out thanksgiving table this year.

Even the kids were honkn em down!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom