"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 05-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #1
Head Chef

Camping Recipes

While looking at our local newspaper cooking forum, there was a post for a site for camping recipes so i thought I would share it here. Don't know if it ever was posted here or not

http://www.koa.com/recipes/campfirecooking.htm

Old 05-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

so glad you enjoy camping. i did a lot when kids were younger. campgrounds with no bathrooms. and parks and so on. i will never do it again. i took all my chores, dishes, cooking etc out in the woods and worked my butt off with no machines. guess if one is not the mom, it is more fun.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
so glad you enjoy camping. i did a lot when kids were younger. campgrounds with no bathrooms. and parks and so on. i will never do it again. i took all my chores, dishes, cooking etc out in the woods and worked my butt off with no machines. guess if one is not the mom, it is more fun.
We used to have a motorhome when the kids were smaller. At least in the car I couldn't get up and make popcorn, in that thing about every 10 min somebody wanted a snack or a drink. After a few trips I said you're nuts!!
Now we only go on vacations where EVERYONE gets a vacation.

If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!!
Old 05-21-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
Head Chef

Camped when I was a kid, no camping now, although loved it years ago now that im older my campsite is the Holiday Inn etc.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
Head Chef

I've hosted my in-laws twice, a week at the lake, and a week in the mountains. I did all the cooking, which was enjoyable for the most part. We are just minutes away from great campsites. After years in a tent, we got a Lance pick-up camper a couple of years ago, my "mini-rv." Love it!

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:45 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Been primitive camping(pre-1840 re-enactments) with and without kids for the last 25 or so years. Recently redisovered modern camping. We truly enjoy it!!
Our favorite place is in Va Beach. Holiday Travelpark. Clean restrooms, daily trash pick up. Trolley service to the beach. 11:00pm everything is quiet.
We can cook on a open fire if we like or use a grill. Water and electric hook ups. We truly enjoy it.
Cooking over an open fire always seems to attract visitors who have never seen it done like that. We have met some mighty nice folks whilst modern camping.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #7
Head Chef

Hey! We were just in Virginia Beach for our son's wedding! Is that campground right off General Booth (Atlantic ave)? We saw a Holiday campground there, looked cool!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Hey! We were just in Virginia Beach for our son's wedding! Is that campground right off General Booth (Atlantic ave)? We saw a Holiday campground there, looked cool!
Yep, that is the one!!!
BTW, Congratualtions to y'all on the occasion of your son's wedding!!
Old 05-23-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Been primitive camping(pre-1840 re-enactments) with and without kids for the last 25 or so years. Recently redisovered modern camping. We truly enjoy it!!
Our favorite place is in Va Beach. Holiday Travelpark. Clean restrooms, daily trash pick up. Trolley service to the beach. 11:00pm everything is quiet.
We can cook on a open fire if we like or use a grill. Water and electric hook ups. We truly enjoy it.
Cooking over an open fire always seems to attract visitors who have never seen it done like that. We have met some mighty nice folks whilst modern camping.

Since you brought it to this forum, I'll add to it something i wouldn't normally. A couple of the best memories in my life are with a young wife on the coast of Spain doing the camping thing. In Europe, camping is civilized. Perfect shower facilities etc.

If you go off season (not summer) but still in the 80's during the day, it is a perfect way of going camping at any age. great *deserted* facilities, and if you plan by the dates, you will own the entire campground for yourself... Just saying.

Bob
Old 05-31-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
Head Chef

Going to the lake in a week. We'll bring the sailboat, camp in our Lance pick-up camper. No hookups, no showers, just nice outhouses!
Attached Images