Camping Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
so glad you enjoy camping. i did a lot when kids were younger. campgrounds with no bathrooms. and parks and so on. i will never do it again. i took all my chores, dishes, cooking etc out in the woods and worked my butt off with no machines. guess if one is not the mom, it is more fun.

Lol

so glad you enjoy camping. i did a lot when kids were younger. campgrounds with no bathrooms. and parks and so on. i will never do it again. i took all my chores, dishes, cooking etc out in the woods and worked my butt off with no machines. guess if one is not the mom, it is more fun.

We used to have a motorhome when the kids were smaller. At least in the car I couldn't get up and make popcorn, in that thing about every 10 min somebody wanted a snack or a drink. After a few trips I said you're nuts!!
Now we only go on vacations where EVERYONE gets a vacation.

If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!!

I've hosted my in-laws twice, a week at the lake, and a week in the mountains. I did all the cooking, which was enjoyable for the most part. We are just minutes away from great campsites. After years in a tent, we got a Lance pick-up camper a couple of years ago, my "mini-rv." Love it!

Been primitive camping(pre-1840 re-enactments) with and without kids for the last 25 or so years. Recently redisovered modern camping. We truly enjoy it!!
Our favorite place is in Va Beach. Holiday Travelpark. Clean restrooms, daily trash pick up. Trolley service to the beach. 11:00pm everything is quiet.
We can cook on a open fire if we like or use a grill. Water and electric hook ups. We truly enjoy it.
Cooking over an open fire always seems to attract visitors who have never seen it done like that. We have met some mighty nice folks whilst modern camping.

Last edited:
Hey! We were just in Virginia Beach for our son's wedding! Is that campground right off General Booth (Atlantic ave)? We saw a Holiday campground there, looked cool!

Been primitive camping(pre-1840 re-enactments) with and without kids for the last 25 or so years. Recently redisovered modern camping. We truly enjoy it!!
Our favorite place is in Va Beach. Holiday Travelpark. Clean restrooms, daily trash pick up. Trolley service to the beach. 11:00pm everything is quiet.
We can cook on a open fire if we like or use a grill. Water and electric hook ups. We truly enjoy it.
Cooking over an open fire always seems to attract visitors who have never seen it done like that. We have met some mighty nice folks whilst modern camping.

Since you brought it to this forum, I'll add to it something i wouldn't normally. A couple of the best memories in my life are with a young wife on the coast of Spain doing the camping thing. In Europe, camping is civilized. Perfect shower facilities etc.

If you go off season (not summer) but still in the 80's during the day, it is a perfect way of going camping at any age. great *deserted* facilities, and if you plan by the dates, you will own the entire campground for yourself... Just saying.

Bob

Going to the lake in a week. We'll bring the sailboat, camp in our Lance pick-up camper. No hookups, no showers, just nice outhouses!

Attachments

• s524236574_1243750_116.jpg
    s524236574_1243750_116.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 596
Going to the lake in a week. We'll bring the sailboat, camp in our Lance pick-up camper. No hookups, no showers, just nice outhouses!

Hope you have lots of fun. The lake should just *be* that way. I know you likely already left, but have fun anyway :)

leaving today, we put it off for a few days... it's cold and rainy, will leave the boat home. The food is loaded:
Bean Salad: canned green and yellow beans, butter beans, Italian dressing
Italian Pasta salad: whole grain penne, julienned provolone, salami, pepperoni, onion, green peppers, celery, dressed with a viniagrette w/parmesan, fennel, crushed red pepper
Basic coleslaw: cabbage, carrots, onion, miracle whip, celery seed, vinegar, sugar
Have steaks, burgers, brats, boneless turkey breast, sandwich meat, cheese; will do whole grain pancakes with nuts, greek yogurt, juice, b'fast burritos for mornings.
Have potatoes, beans, brown rice, wild rice on hand for more sides. Made quick pickled beets and carrots (sepaprate jars). chips, dip, crackers, spread, nuts, cookies, semolina poundcake for munchies. Brought some stuff to make a shrimp/pasta salad later in the week (if needed).
Oh yeah, bough a new small dutch oven so may try a peach cobbler and cornbread in that.
It's not even 40 degrees... brrrrrrr, glad the camper has a good heater!!!

Hope this is not a duplicate. Is my food plan ok for a 3 day, 2 night camping trip with hubby and 2 boys? First night Campfire Spaghetti with Coffee Can Bread and Ice Cream. Second night Coca Cola Chicken in the Dutch Oven with Brown Rice and Campfire Cakes. Breakfast will be eggs or Oatmeal with lots of Coffee.

Sounds to me Syd' your right on target...your perishable concious in
the use of dry foods and canned stuff...my camping trips are usually
associated with hunting/fishing and I prepare in a similar way...
subject to do beans in cast iron over open fire, etc...everything is good
in the outdoors....frying bacon is big on my list...I like your speggetti
idea...generally doing ground venison instead of beef in stuff like chili
is big with me and spegetti would work well...flour & cornmeal bread
are good too.........the ice cream?,,I dunno....I like doing cast pot
cooking like the one in my avatar pic....and carry lots of oil for
frying fresh fish & stuff like that....and I try to pack light...I'd say you'd
get a thumbs-up for your ideas, in my book................................BH51..

Coffee Can Campfire Ice Cream

BH51, try this one on for size. Great activity for the young uns.

2 C half & half
1/2 C sugar
1 T sugar
1 egg, beaten

Additional material needed

1 lb coffee can & lid
3 lb coffee can & lid
crushed ice
rock salt

Add the 1st 4 ingredients in the small (clean) coffee can and add the lid. Place the small can inside the larger coffee can. Add layers of ice and rock salt, then add the lid. If possible try to seal the larger coffee can's lid with duct or electrical tape. Roll the can for approximately 15 minutes, preferably on a flat surface then open and check the smaller can with the ice cream to see if it done. If it is still soft, reseal but drain melted ice and add more rock salt and additional ice and roll, kick or shake for additional ten minutes. Serve and enjoy! Some people add 3 crushed cookies half-way through the prep time for a special treat.

Great stuff, Syd'...tha kids will freak when they see that
icecream developing in the can like that...I'm assuming
you intended to add 1 t salt rather than sugar in your
ingredients but I caught you drift...I've heard of it but
never tryed it...thanks for the tip........................BH51..

BH51, try this one on for size. Great activity for the young uns.

2 C half & half
1/2 C sugar
1 T sugar
1 egg, beaten

Additional material needed

1 lb coffee can & lid
3 lb coffee can & lid
crushed ice
rock salt

Add the 1st 4 ingredients in the small (clean) coffee can and add the lid. Place the small can inside the larger coffee can. Add layers of ice and rock salt, then add the lid. If possible try to seal the larger coffee can's lid with duct or electrical tape. Roll the can for approximately 15 minutes, preferably on a flat surface then open and check the smaller can with the ice cream to see if it done. If it is still soft, reseal but drain melted ice and add more rock salt and additional ice and roll, kick or shake for additional ten minutes. Serve and enjoy! Some people add 3 crushed cookies half-way through the prep time for a special treat.

You can also do this with a large and small ziplock bags..

Back
Top Bottom