Dave's Sweet BBQ Corn on the Cob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Camp Cook

Assistant Cook
Dave's Sweet BBQ Corn on the Cob
  • Corn on the cob (do not remove husks)
  • Butter
  • Honey
Soak the corn (with husks still on tight) in cold water for about an hour. Remove from the water and pull off any loose or hanging pieces of husk.
Roast over an open campfire, turning periodically for about one half hour. Husks will look burnt.
Remove husks and drizzle corn with butter and honey.

You will never want to go back to boiled corn again!

Last edited:
That sounds delicious! I checked out your website, and bookmarked it. I don't camp anymore, but my son-in-law and grandson camp quite a bit. SIL is a very good cook, and will enjoy the recipes.
My daughter doesn't like to rough it. She goes out and eats with them, then goes back home to sleep in her own bed.

echoing Connie. This sounds really good, and I am not a big corn eater.

chuckling to Connie - your daughter sounds like my sister - roughing it means no cable TV at the hotel.

mudbug said:
echoing Connie. This sounds really good, and I am not a big corn eater.

chuckling to Connie - your daughter sounds like my sister - roughing it means no cable TV at the hotel.

To my wife, roughing it means a power blip and subsequent loss of of satelite TV until the system can reset itself.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh, and your recipe looks great.:) I've cooked many an ear of corn on the grill, with the husk on. My youngest daughter loves to soak the corn (husk on of course) for a few hours and throw the unhusked corn right into the fire.

I love honey butter. For added flavor, using a suitably sturdy cooking vessel, place the honey butter into the covered grill (over charcoal of coarse) with a bit of maple sticks. Let it heat inside the smokey grill for about five minutes or so to pick up some of the smoke flavor. Yum:chef:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Seeeeya; Goodweed of the North.

I agree with you about roasting vs. boiling. I've been soaking and roasting for over a year now. I usually soak the corn in beer, but mango juice works nicely too. I'd suggest taking it off after 15-20 minutes, however.

VeraBlue said:
I agree with you about roasting vs. boiling. I've been soaking and roasting for over a year now. I usually soak the corn in beer, but mango juice works nicely too. I'd suggest taking it off after 15-20 minutes, however.

You don't have to be camping to grill (roast) corn. I have a couple of different methods for doing this. Yes, I soak it, at least an hour.

Method 1: Peel back the husk and remove the cornsilk (not essential, but neater). Brush with some melted butter or oil. Then lay some fresh herbs along the cob - basil, thyme, dill weed. Fold the husks back up and tie them at the top with a strip from the cornhusk. Place them on a hot charcoal grill (or campfire), slightly indirect heat. Turn the corn every once in a while so it doesn't char the husks too much. I'm one who doesn't like "crisp" corn so I usually grill/roast mine at least 30 minutes. Cooking time is up to you.

Method 2: Ditto the soaking, peeling back the husk and removing the silk. Make a "whisk" from your fresh herbs and let it soak a bit in melted butter (or oil, but in this case the butter is best). Use the herb whisk to brush the corn cob well. Again, tie the husks back around the corn and grill/roast to your desired doneness.

I'm going to get a few good grilled meals in before it gets cold and roasted corn is definitely on my list!

Fraidy

Back
Top Bottom