"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 11-26-2006, 01:05 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Did anybody use this type of grill?

Just wondering if anybody ever used a grill like this? www.campfireracks.com or the product page is http://www.campfireracks.com/campfir...s_products.php I am thinking about purchasing on of these. I love cooking over an open fire, but I am sick of the the tripod it keeps getting in the way. Price doesnt seem bad if it lasts.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:43 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by njohn
Just wondering if anybody ever used a grill like this? www.campfireracks.com or the product page is http://www.campfireracks.com/campfir...s_products.php I am thinking about purchasing on of these. I love cooking over an open fire, but I am sick of the the tripod it keeps getting in the way. Price doesnt seem bad if it lasts.

All help is greatly appreciated.
I've seen them advertised njohn but, there's lots of but's in my book. They say 360 rotation, well, that spring handle is sure going to get hot when it gets over the fire, then you're going to burn yourself or the rag that your using is going to catch on fire, then your going to knock the blasted thing over 'cause you didn't drive the peg in the ground far enough. then all the tucker is going to end up in the fire, flare up and burn the tent down, and in the morning you're going to wish that you'd never bought the thing.
How's that

Old 11-26-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

We are going to give it a try.

My buddy actually has something similiar to this and we are going to give it a try. I will watch out for the things you mentioned and see how it goes. I will post my findings later, since it is such a nice day here today, I beleive we are going to actually use it over a campfire today.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:09 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I do alot of "campfire cooking"....I've never seen this thing...From the picture I really can't tell how it suppose to work. ....Mightl wanna look at the Adjusta Grill at Bass Pro and other places...I have one of those and for about the same money it does a pretty good job.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:50 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Seems pretty clear to operate. Drive the black stake in the ground. Slip the grill oveer the rod through the round hole. The grill will bind on the stake when you let go.

But I don't think it will hold much weight. And I think the hole will elongate relatvely quickly making it useless.

thymeless
Old 11-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
Head Chef

My neighbor has one and it works very well for her.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:22 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up The results of my testing!

As I said in a previous post I was going to try my buddies open fire grill out, and indeed we did! We tried this grill out for a large get together of about 20 families and children. We loaded this grill completely full of hotdogs and it worked excellent. We did not loose any meat to the fire and all the meat cooked very evenly. When the doggies where ready to eat, we just spun the grill sideways and removed all the hotdogs. We then reloaded a few extra doggies and I was a little worried the handle would be hot due to being sideways to the fire, but to my surprise it was not even mildly warm. In a previous post somebody warned me about the post, about it falling into the fire. The stake didnt even bend or bow, very sturdy!

So my conclussion, I am buying one of these and a few for my camper friends gifts.

If you have other questions about what I forgot to mention, post a reply.
1 thing I did forget is it was very easy to clean. Thank Goodness!
Old 12-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Has anyone ever used the "insty-grill" at Campfire Cooking Insty-Swing-Grill Fast Light Strong Portable Adjustable Jester Hats Stylish Winter Warm Snow Sport for campfire cooking? The price seems reasonable, but I'm not sure of the design. Could anyone (with more knowledge than I) take a look at this grill and let me know what they think of the design, etc. Maybe the one at campfireracks.com would work better than this one? Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
njohn, I just looked at the site and it mentions Ni-Chrome as the alloy used, if you`re interested Ni-Chrome is also the wire they use in heating elements air exposed and otherwise. it should last you a Good while! :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #10
Cook

I just found the following grills, you might want do some comparison shopping.

Adjust-A-Grill
Hopefully a good link

Cabela's -- Adjust-A-Grill

Kamp Grill
Hopefully another good link

Cabela's -- Kamp Grill