Did anybody use this type of grill?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
njohn said:
Just wondering if anybody ever used a grill like this? www.campfireracks.com or the product page is http://www.campfireracks.com/campfiregrills_products.php I am thinking about purchasing on of these. I love cooking over an open fire, but I am sick of the the tripod it keeps getting in the way. Price doesnt seem bad if it lasts.

All help is greatly appreciated.
I've seen them advertised njohn but, there's lots of but's in my book. They say 360 rotation, well, that spring handle is sure going to get hot when it gets over the fire, then you're going to burn yourself or the rag that your using is going to catch on fire, then your going to knock the blasted thing over 'cause you didn't drive the peg in the ground far enough. then all the tucker is going to end up in the fire, flare up and burn the tent down, and in the morning you're going to wish that you'd never bought the thing.
How's that :)

We are going to give it a try.

My buddy actually has something similiar to this and we are going to give it a try. I will watch out for the things you mentioned and see how it goes. I will post my findings later, since it is such a nice day here today, I beleive we are going to actually use it over a campfire today.

Thanks for the reply.

I do alot of "campfire cooking"....I've never seen this thing...From the picture I really can't tell how it suppose to work. ....Mightl wanna look at the Adjusta Grill at Bass Pro and other places...I have one of those and for about the same money it does a pretty good job.

Seems pretty clear to operate. Drive the black stake in the ground. Slip the grill oveer the rod through the round hole. The grill will bind on the stake when you let go.

But I don't think it will hold much weight. And I think the hole will elongate relatvely quickly making it useless.

thymeless

The results of my testing!

As I said in a previous post I was going to try my buddies open fire grill out, and indeed we did! We tried this grill out for a large get together of about 20 families and children. We loaded this grill completely full of hotdogs and it worked excellent. We did not loose any meat to the fire and all the meat cooked very evenly. When the doggies where ready to eat, we just spun the grill sideways and removed all the hotdogs. We then reloaded a few extra doggies and I was a little worried the handle would be hot due to being sideways to the fire, but to my surprise it was not even mildly warm. In a previous post somebody warned me about the post, about it falling into the fire. The stake didnt even bend or bow, very sturdy!

So my conclussion, I am buying one of these and a few for my camper friends gifts.

If you have other questions about what I forgot to mention, post a reply.
1 thing I did forget is it was very easy to clean. Thank Goodness!

njohn, I just looked at the site and it mentions Ni-Chrome as the alloy used, if you`re interested Ni-Chrome is also the wire they use in heating elements air exposed and otherwise. it should last you a Good while! :)

YT2095 said:
njohn, I just looked at the site and it mentions Ni-Chrome as the alloy used, if you`re interested Ni-Chrome is also the wire they use in heating elements air exposed and otherwise. it should last you a Good while! :)

Is it really "alloy used"?
Look again, see if you meant 'finish used' ...as in food-grade plating protection.

Used one similiar to this Fire Chief, but was way to bulky and not very stable. It was a clunker to carry around, and we needed to control (restrict) the size of the fire to make it work well. I want some thing that I can just put at any spot of the fire and cook. The one thing I did like was the place to hang the pot, but I could just sit the pot on the grill also.

lol, I just this post come up and after looking at the dates the last person I thought would revive it would have been the OP.
Of course I read through it anyway....

Here's a little thing I came up with, after searching forever, to no avail. It's not a grill as such but a rotisserie. Totally adjustable to almost any reasonable fire-ring, and easy to use. No motor!! No batteries!! No extention cords!! Operates by hand, a quarter turn at a time.

I drew up the plans and had it made of stainless steel. Love it so far. The pics are the initial tryout. Eagerly waiting spring camping to get feed back from other outdoor enthusiasts.

I love it so far! And the pork roast was SUPER!!!
PB030108.JPG

Attachments

• Rotisserie-1.jpg
    Rotisserie-1.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 269
  • Rotisserie-2.jpg
    Rotisserie-2.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 236
  • Rotisserie-3.jpg
    Rotisserie-3.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 237
Back