"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Outdoor Cooking Forum > Campfire & Dutch Oven Cooking

Old 05-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

thank you so much for your advise

I do indeed thank you all!!! I should, however have given a better description. It's a camp type with a flat top and a lip, but no legs. So I think the bricks will do well, and I have a bunch of them.

Here's a shot of it. I hope it comes in okay.

Oh well, I'm not sure I've uploaded it right. Well, see. Anyway, your help is perfect. Now, where are those bricks?

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10 inch DO.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	2710  

Old 05-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Hey, it worked after all.

Greg

Old 05-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Always happy to help a fellow Patriots fan.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:39 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Glad everything worked out for you Nightjar! Interesting pot configuration! Don't think I have ever seen a flat bottom pot with that type of lid! Have fun and....

Enjoy

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:47 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Wait'll you see what I rigged up. They're missing some scrap metal and bolts at work now.

Gre
Old 05-23-2007, 10:59 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Greg,

Did you buy that new or used? Where did you get it?

You got a great deal there. I bought a pre-seasoned 10" camp oven a few weeks back and paid about $25.00 for it.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:13 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

10 Do

Hi Garry,

I got it at a truck sale, from a company call cumminstool.com They have trucks come through towns and sets up at halls like knights of columbus. The brand here is american camper, (made in china ) Actually I think it sucks and if I could do it again I'd pay for a lodge and be done it it. after taxex it came in about $11. after taxes. This wasn't pre-seasoned and the wax like coating was a hassle to remove.

Here's my solution to a dutch oven with no legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfgar4
Greg,

Did you buy that new or used? Where did you get it?

You got a great deal there. I bought a pre-seasoned 10" camp oven a few weeks back and paid about $25.00 for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3489.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	2742   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3492.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	2743  

Old 06-29-2007, 05:17 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I have both kinds and have had no problems using this type of Dutch oven with such things as soups and stews. Just keep the number of coals underneath it less than you would otherwise use.

I have also just used rocks (probably around the size of bricks mentioned earlier) to put the Dutch oven on.
outdoorcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 05:56 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Nightjar, awesome idea for improvised “legs”. Nice.

I was thinking you could do something similar with a bar of flat iron and some nuts and bolts (from Home Depot or some other hardware or home improvement store). You could use 4 pieces of 1/4 inch flat iron, cut to 5 or so inches long. Drill holes at either end of each piece. Form a square with the 4 pieces so that the holes line up. You’ll have two pieces on top and two on bottom. Then use a bolt and nut to secure the square.

The iron is basically there to keep the bolts standing straight up and will not support the pot. The pot will rest squarely on the four bolt heads, so pick bolts that have adequate and flat heads. You could use a rig like this for all kinds of pots.....then again, the brick idea is just as versatile, as is what you’ve already built!

Old 06-29-2007, 10:02 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightjar
Hi Garry,

I got it at a truck sale, from a company call cumminstool.com They have trucks come through towns and sets up at halls like knights of columbus. The brand here is american camper, (made in china ) Actually I think it sucks and if I could do it again I'd pay for a lodge and be done it it. after taxex it came in about $11. after taxes. This wasn't pre-seasoned and the wax like coating was a hassle to remove.

Here's my solution to a dutch oven with no legs.
Great innovative idea Greg! The only cast iron that I have currently is my 10" skillet. I've not yet had to raise it to get coals under it, but my next planned meal will require that I do. I plan on using the lid stand that I have. It's supposed to work just this way. We'll see how it goes.